NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stars & Stripes Ski Nautique ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stars & Stripes Ski Nautique ???
    Posted: June-08-2013 at 3:36am
oh Ok now I see what you mean about people bashing a for sale ad here.

thanks for the illustration.
This is the life
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I dare you to say that when I'm with Reid and Eddie

I certainly will but I don't see them on a regular basis! Plus, Reid compensates for hair on other places of his body!!

Eddie is another story - I saw in the paper a couple weeks ago that Procter and Gamble was looking for another person to replace the old "Mr Clean".
Eddie, go for it!

Eddie, did you apply? you certainly have the physique for it!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 9:13pm
I dare you to say that when I'm with Reid and Eddie
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 7:55pm

On page 2 Dave you can see it's a rug

Gary,
Are you an expert on rugs?    You do seem to wear that cap allot!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by GrayBeardSkier GrayBeardSkier wrote:

The red covering on dash and engine cover is red carpet. Same carpet as on floor but with vinyl trim sewn on the edges.

Cant agree with you on the flames Dave... they'd be the second thing I took off the boat (the carpet on the dash and motorbox being the first).
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 2:13pm
On page 2 Dave you can see it's a rug
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 1:48pm
What's even funkier, and I don't know if it was brought up, but what's up with the red dash top? Is that paint, gel or a pad of some sorts? Can't really make it out in the older pics, but was that also on there as "original" equipment??

I'm with you HW, first thing to go would be the flames !! haha

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 12:02pm
It's a cool boat, cooler without the flames. Good luck on the sale, this was a good thread. I still don't think it's factory done, but makes no difference to me anyway.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 10:34am

Maybe assembled here from foreign sourced parts??

Aren't we all?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

I would doubt that the factory would advertise HM in that huge of a way.. It's interesting though.. Maybe Holman Moody as a company had the boat designed that way.. One may never know.. But because it goes back so long, you kind of have to keep it that way till you know one way or the other...

I guess I owe it to the engine companies that supported us and say that most of the SN tournament boats in the early '60s had a big decal on the transom that read "Interceptor Powered." I have also seen some engine company decals on motor boxes, don't know whether those were factory installed or not.

Art

Thank you, Art. I try to collect any information I can about the boat's history just to satisfy my curiosity. I have not been able to identify the original owner yet. I know from the second owner it came from Midwest Correct Craft and was bought in a group purchase of three or four boats by some guys that skied together. Funny thing, I remember seeing the boat in the mid 70s when it was kept on Paw Paw Lake in Watervliet, MI. where a female friend of mine had a cottage. The kids who used it skied with it a lot. The reason I remember it is IT WAS LOUD.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

I would doubt that the factory would advertise HM in that huge of a way.. It's interesting though.. Maybe Holman Moody as a company had the boat designed that way.. One may never know.. But because it goes back so long, you kind of have to keep it that way till you know one way or the other...

I guess I owe it to the engine companies that supported us and say that most of the SN tournament boats in the early '60s had a big decal on the transom that read "Interceptor Powered." I have also seen some engine company decals on motor boxes, don't know whether those were factory installed or not.

Art
"Art"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 2:54pm
Maybe assembled here from foreign sourced parts??
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Those are good. What about more from Original Owner Art's 1975 photo album?

This was out on Calero and she was factory original.

May have been factory original but I don't think she complies with the Buy American Act. Looks imported to me.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 12:42pm
The thing that still doesn't look right is if those flames were part of the 76' theme, why were they also not painted in the stars and stripes combo? Just doesn't look like it would go together..

John, while you're too could have been original from a deal (who was promoting the Ford HP engine), I would doubt that the factory would advertise HM in that huge of a way.. It's interesting though.. Maybe Holman Moody as a company had the boat designed that way.. One may never know.. But because it goes back so long, you kind of have to keep it that way till you know one way or the other...

05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 1:00am
Gary brings up a good point. Just like a Yenko, Mr Norm's, or Tasca Ford I would be very proud to own this boat. The photos are a great documentation of it's history and assure that it can be enjoyed in same condition as it was under the previous owners. I believe this boat has earned it's Stars and Stripes and should continue to wear them, regardless of who is responsible for the theme. A Ford Thunderbolt or 69 ZL1 didn't come from the factory with a racing paint scheme either, but I certainly wouldn't find fault in maintaining one, or this boat to the "originality" of the first owner.

I have some graphics on the transom of my Mustang that I can't verify we're factory applied. I have traced the boat back and spoken to every owner except the original purchaser. The second owner said he bought it from the original owner with the graphics on there, and the OO told him it was all original, although the graphics never came up specifically. I am going to leave them on and be proud too. I will probably never know if it was done at the factory and I don'y even have photos to document anything more tan 4 years ago.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 12:22am
Gary brings up a good point. Just like a Yenko, Mr Norm's, or Tasca Ford I would be very proud to own this boat. The photos are a great documentation of it's history and assure that it can be enjoyed in same condition as it was under the previous owners. I believe this boat has earned it's Stars and Stripes and should continue to wear them, regardless of who is responsible for the theme. A Ford Thunderbolt or 69 ZL1 didn't come from the factory with a racing paint scheme either, but I certainly wouldn't find fault in maintaining one, or this boat to the "originality" of the first owner.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 9:08pm
I would think that if they did come from the factory and if they were done special for the bicentenial that someone,especially Mr Ralph would remember or have documentation on. That said,then much like a Yenco Chevy or a Mr Norm's Dodge no one at a factory would would remember them anyway since they were standard when they were built
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by GrayBeardSkier GrayBeardSkier wrote:

pictures and recollections

Sorry but pictures and recollections are the only thing that ever surfaced. I believe Art that the boat did NOT come out of the factory that way.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GrayBeardSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayBeardSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 6:15pm
I’ve had a hypothesis for a while as to why the stars and stripes theme versus standard livery was chosen for this boat.

When I think back to what was happening in the mid-1970s, one of the more memorable events (in California anyway), was the USA bicentennial. The public events started in spring of 1975 and soon the country was caught up in a very patriotic wave. I remember people painting stars and stripes on fire hydrants and mailboxes. Even airplanes were given a patriotic livery.

I think folks at Correct Craft also got caught up in the patriotic spirit and probably thought it might be a good idea for stimulating boat sales. Someone at Correct Craft decided to do a special promotional boat or two. The timeline is right as the boat was built in spring of 1975 and was first sold a couple of months later.

It’s not clear if the idea for this originated at the Florida factory or California facility as current people at Correct Craft don’t seem to have records or recollections of it. I guess this isn’t all that surprising as it’s been 38 years and records in 1975 would not have been computerized. It would be great if this hypothesis could be substantiated by something from Correct Craft but short of that, the original owner’s pictures and recollections are the next best thing.

So there you have it. By the way, I’ve decided it’s time to sell the boat as it’s not getting much use. There’s a posting in the For Sale listings, if you’re interested in owning a unique piece of Ski Nautique history.
Joel Heinke

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayBeardSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 2:35pm
Just a quick query to see if anyone can help with information. Art C: any updates?
Joel Heinke

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayBeardSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 6:19pm
Any updates from Correct Craft side?
Joel Heinke
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 10:10pm
Yes, very well done.

[/QUOTE]
Doug
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 7:06pm
LOVE the timeline photos! Well done.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 2:43pm
Interesting that Ronnie Arnold had on occasion painted flames at the factory.
This is the life
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 1:36pm
I have not yet caught up with Walt Meloon to show him the photos. The flames do look like the ones that Ronnie Arnold did on occasion, but I can't say that for sure. I have been having other issues in my life that have kind of taken up a lot of my time recently.
Art C.
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 7:34am
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

Boat went to West Coast Correct Craft

I feel that if CC had done the logo, they would have used the standard stencil and built onto it, so I'm going to say that I doubt that it was done at the factory. Now, we did have a man working there at the time who was always bugging Walt to let him paint some flame on the boats. He had just learned to paint flame, and couldn't wait to be allowed to paint some. That never happened.

Could be that it was done at West Coast, but, as someone already pointed out, there was no vinyl lettering being cut in Orlando in those days. If parts of the logo are decals, it definitely was not done in the factory. Everything was done with paint until about 1986.

I did get a response from Ralph Meloon Jr. and he does not have but a "faint" recollection of such a boat, and he does't think that it came from the factory with those graphics.
Art C.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 4:58am
Nice. I wish they all could be......
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 3:51am
Those are good. What about more from Original Owner Art's 1975 photo album?

This was out on Calero and she was factory original.

This is the life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayBeardSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2013 at 2:53am
Here's some close ups of the stars and stripes Ski Nautique from today just to give you the complete "visual" evidence and complete the timeline.

To answer the latest questions:

Were flames added sometime after factory delivery?

Here's a picture of flames today.

Art R., the original owner's recollection is that the flames were on the boat when delivered from Correct Craft. Jerry H. the person who re-touched the stripes on the boat in 1978 told me that he definitely didn't paint or re-touch the flames. Jerry M. the boat's second owner told me the flames were on the boat when he purchased it and he didn't have anything done to them. What I have firsthand knowledge of is that the flames have been on the boat from the first day I saw it in the mid-90's. What I haven't been able to find is any pictures from when the boat was new that clearly show the flames to substantiate what I've been told. Given where the flames are located on a flat horizontal surface, they don't even show on most pictures even the one's where I know the flames are there. I do believe all the people involved, so I do believe the flames were there all along but don't show in the pictures.

My other perspective on the flames is that they are sort of a side question. The core question I've been asking centers around the stars and stripes Ski Nautique lettering. It's that particular feature that is central to the story of this being 1 of 2 special promotional boats from Correct Craft. That's why I keep steering the focus back to that issue.

Was the picture on the big lake Anderson Reservoir or Coyote?

Glass Seeker: you win the prize for knowing the look of San Jose area lakes the best. Yes, it was Anderson Reservoir and my initial suggestion was wrong.

What happened to the extra step pads?

You know, I don't know the answer. I can only guess that they were peeled off because they were unsightly (in my opinion) and probably not all that functional.

Art C: I hope the picture timeline gives you some good information to show people who were at Correct Craft in 1975. Please speak up if/when you turn up any new information.
Joel Heinke
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 2:57am
In the pic from the 1975 launching, it looks like first its at the ski club ponds and then when he's in the big lake I think that is Anderson Reservoir but it could be Coyote too.

Why were the extra step pads added? seems they are off pretty quickly.
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic