Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ram-Lin trailer brakes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
henkjvr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henkjvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ram-Lin trailer brakes
    Posted: January-10-2006 at 3:39am
It seems the brakes on my 1990 model Ram-Lin trailer does not work at all.
Is there an owners manual or diagram availble so that i can start looking for the problem. I guess I need to redo the entire brake system as the trailer is not in a good condition.
SN1990-Yellow
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2006 at 8:57am
Diagrams are available on the internet. You need to determine what type of system you have first, then Google it.

More than likely, you will need to replace the master cylinder, and brake assemblies.

I suggest you purchase free backing brake assemblies. Purchasing the brakes as an assembly (includes shoes, cylinders and backing plates) is the cheapest way to go and the easiest way to go. It does require removing the hubs and repacking the bearings. But, this is a good opportunity to inspect the bearings.

Now that you have replaced all the hydraulic components, it is a good time to switch to silicon brake fluid. The advantage of silicon is that it does not absorb water and thus less likely to cause the internal corrosion that probably rendered your current brakes inoperative.
henkjvr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henkjvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2006 at 3:22am
Thanks David I really appreciate the advice.

All I know is that it’s hydraulic with master cylinder as you described, single axle with drum brakes and it is a 1990 model. It also has a little catch on the tow hitch to prevent the brakes from locking when the trailer is reversed.

I only recently bought the boat and therefore not too sure about the design and specs.

SN1990-Yellow
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2006 at 6:47am
Congratulations on the recent purchase.

Keep in mind that the brake parts are almost certainly generic and not even matched by manufacturer. In other words, you have a Ram-Lin trailer, but the actuator is Atwood and back assemblies are by someone else. This is common and acceptable.

If you do end up replacing the brake assemblies (cheapest way to go and easiest), then by all means, spend about $10.00 and get the free backing type. Free backing will enable you to back your trailer up any grade without having to get out and lockout the actuator each and every time you back, stop and back again.

And, keep in mind that ALL individual parts that make up the actuator are usually available individually. The most common failure parts are: Master cylinder, shock absorber, emergency or break-away cable.

One last thing. If you replace the wheel bearings and seals, please keep in mind that boat trailers use special dual lip seals (NOT automotive type) to help keep the water out of the bearings. However, automotive bearings are fine to use.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic