NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Nautiques

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2012 at 1:16am
Originally posted by 4mor 4mor wrote:

I found both engine repair shops on-line under "Chrysler 318 marine engines" and I have talked to both on the phone. Both are very capable engine rebuild shops familiar with the "poly" engine

You found these guy's on line and they told you they were very capable? Be careful,you should check out local car shows,talk to the Mopar guy's see who they recommend. Your alot closer to So Cal too,there has to be someone there that knows Mopars
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2012 at 2:07am
I know everyone has their favorite oil, and I agree that you need ZDDP. I am not trying to be disagreeable or dismiss Gary or Pete's advice, they, and others here, are Correct Craft experts, something I am not.
Oil analysis shows Valvoline VR-1 to have 1200 to 1300 PPM of ZDDP. I am sure it is good oil, and it is the least difficult to find.
I prefer and use Redline 40WT (15W40) race oil in my old Willys and some of my friends vehicles with antique flat tappet engines. At 2500 PPM of Phosphorus and 2400 PPM of Zinc, it has twice as much ZDDP as Valvoline VR-1. Although probably not necessary, I will use it in my Mustang (1970 Ford 302) when I finish it this summer. Remember, most racing motor oils have less detergent and require more frequent oil changes than "regular" motor oil, Valvoline VR-1 and Redline included. With their reduced level of detergent, the oils will not keep contaminants in suspension as well as conventional oils.

Redline 40WT oil
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2012 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by 4mor 4mor wrote:

I found both engine repair shops on-line under "Chrysler 318 marine engines" and I have talked to both on the phone. Both are very capable engine rebuild shops familiar with the "poly" engine

You found these guy's on line

Gary,
You do realize that anything found on the internet is the absolute truth!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2012 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Remember, most racing motor oils have less detergent and require more frequent oil changes than "regular" motor oil, Valvoline VR-1 and Redline included.

Not true. Vr1 does not have lower detergent levels than "regular" oil. Only valvolines traditional race oil (blue bottle) has the lower detergent package.

I'm not smart enough to know what level of zddp would be considered "too much"... But 2x the levels in what we consider to be adequate certainly would have me looking for the answer to that question.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2012 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Remember, most racing motor oils have less detergent and require more frequent oil changes than "regular" motor oil, Valvoline VR-1 and Redline included.

Not true. Vr1 does not have lower detergent levels than "regular" oil. Only valvolines traditional race oil (blue bottle) has the lower detergent package.

I'm not smart enough to know what level of zddp would be considered "too much"... But 2x the levels in what we consider to be adequate certainly would have me looking for the answer to that question.

I don't want to start an argument about motor oil and detergent levels, but I got my information from the Valvoline site, which says;

"What are the benefits to using a racing oil versus a regular "street legal" oil?
The Valvoline VR1 Racing & "Not Street Legal" racing oils contain additional additives for increased horsepower and reduced friction on metal parts, provide extra wear protection for high compression/higher horsepower engines, and include fewer detergents than regular conventional motor oils".

My research from a long time when deciding what motor oil to use in our antique military vehicles and my brothers old cars indicated that 2,400 PPM is probably the limit for ZDDP, beyond that it is providing no benefit. I believe that is the reason that Redline has chosen that level.

Here is the link to the Valvoline VR-1 site.

Valvoline VR-1 FAQ

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2012 at 8:46pm
I was bored and had forgotten the reason for a maximum of about 2,500 PPM of ZDDP. I did a little checking and found that above that concentration the ZDDP will no longer remain in solution in motor oil and "falls out".

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2012 at 8:54pm
Happy Peace On Earth Day guys !!!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2012 at 9:01pm
Here's the motor oil I use.   And it costs less.
And it has the Peace Sign right there on the bottle!

Peace Out!!!

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2012 at 10:53pm
john, while you share your knowledge, I think I will log off........Billy
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2012 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

john, while you share your knowledge, I think I will log off........Billy

Have a wonderful Christmas Billy. I hope you and your family are well and can enjoy some time together. Best wishes for the new year! Catch you next time.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 12:05am

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 1:03am
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 1:42am
I think Billy may have something there. Kendall, Ford Total Performance 302, they seem to go together.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 12:55pm

I don't want to start an argument about motor oil and detergent levels, but I got my information from the Valvoline site, which says;

"What are the benefits to using a racing oil versus a regular "street legal" oil?
The Valvoline VR1 Racing & "Not Street Legal" racing oils contain additional additives for increased horsepower and reduced friction on metal parts, provide extra wear protection for high compression/higher horsepower engines, and include fewer detergents than regular conventional motor oils".

Youre right, I misspoke. The VR1 does have a slightly lower detergent package than their regular oils (this reduces the oil's tendency to foam at higher RPM). Based on the conversation I had with one of their techs a few years ago, along with what Im reading on the web, the VR1 still has a healthy detergent package... and I dont see any official word from Valvoline that recommends a shortened oil change interval due to the lack of detergents.

Their off road racing oil (blue bottle) on the other hand, is a non-detergent oil that comes with a 500 mile oil change interval, last time I checked. Its unfortunate that they lump the 2 oils together in that statement, as they are 2 very different products.

I dont know why Valvoline has taken their product spec sheets off the web and replaced it with a FAQ section with marginal value. Id rather get the word from the engineers than from the marketing team... this is one of the reasons Ive been using Mobil1 15w50 more and more often. That, and the cost of VR1 has crept up to the point where they cost about the same.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 2:58pm

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 3:06pm

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 3:09pm

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 3:44pm
Hey, Dr. They aint got nuthin on this oil. Nothing but the best for my CC.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 3:59pm
After extensive testing and thousands of hours of research the best formula for extended life:

+

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 5:02pm

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 5:05pm

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 5:08pm

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 5:12pm
Astroglide???   Isn't that for trannys and lower units???
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 5:18pm
OMG You guys are killing me!
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 5:22pm

funnnnnny chit....
Al, you on vacation this week? looks like a lot of spare time on your hands.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Astroglide???   Isn't that for trannys and lower units???

And rear ends!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 6:59pm
It also prevents rod knock
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 7:22pm
Now I understand why gear lube has an unpleasant odor.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2012 at 11:17pm
john, have you been smelling quinners dip stick again..........
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 1:04am

I think Billy may have something there. Kendall, Ford Total Performance 302, they seem to go together.

Cans...He hates cans!!!............

Name the movie.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic