Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Latest Project- Barn find SN

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Latest Project- Barn find SN
    Posted: August-26-2012 at 3:19am
I hadn't posted any about this one, yet. So here goes. I bought this 1980 SN out of an old man's backyard here in the Orlando area. He parked the boat in '03 after his kids left home. I dragged it home, and it's been in my yard untouched for a few months now. Just the other day I got it running. Started right up and ran perfect with fresh gas, new plugs, and rebuilt carb. Today was the first day I had it on the lake and all went great. Sounds great, runs great. Stringers are solid. Everything in the boat is pretty much original including the interior which only has a few minor tears. Not bad for $1000, I suppose. The exterior painted graphics are scratched and faded, and the trailer has some surface rust. My plan was to buff out the gel, find a way to stencil new graphics, and repaint the trailer. But, here's where I'm at:
The boat sitting in the backyard where we found it. The previous owner is the elder man. Very neat guy, he was sad to see it go.

Here's the engine; 350 Chevy (OMC, I think)

This is just a picture after we dragged it home. It looks a little better after a good wash, but not much.

More pictures to come as the project progresses. The boat is pretty close to original, so if I can find the time, I'm going to try to bring it all the way back! If anyone has ever done the graphics, or sprayed trailers or ANYTHING and wants to throw out some wisdom, it would be much appreciated.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2012 at 11:42pm
Awesome !! Love it keep posting pics of the progress !!
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 12:27am
Love the new project... Cool find !!!   I've been dreaming of finding one of those for a few years now

Trailer or other metal stuff = Sherwin Willams Sher Kem    I prefer to spray but you can brush or roll it too. I've done 3 trailers / boat engine and trans / + lots of 4wd stuff all with great results.   

Sherwin Willams Sher Kem.   
It is an Industrial Epoxy paint used for heavy equiptment.   Stop by your local Sherwin Willams and look into opening an account. With 1- gallon of paint AND 1 gallon of Xzylene thinner (for clean up) I was still under the cost of 10 spray cans.

I used a inexpensive Harnbor Freight paint gun.

ITEM 91009-1VGA   [s]$19.99 [/s]   $14.99   

[/quote]
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 12:45am
I like to sand blast if I can but on the trailer you could probably just scuff and shoot. Knock down as much rust as you can, you could even use a rust converter under coat if you like. On my last 10k equiptment trailer we just knocked off the big flake stuff with a wire brush and shot right over it.   
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 12:50am
Michael, thanks, and WOW, you're a pro it seems. I like what you did with that engine/tranny. If I have LOTS of time, I may tackle that too, this one's looking a little rough. As for the trailer, I was thinking of what you said. Wire brush on an angle grinder to smooth it out a little. I will check on that paint; and I was going to roll it on with a sponge roller. Do you think I could get away with one can for the entire trailer? I would imagine so. And just keep your eye out! Deals are certainly out there. I come across them enough to fill up my yard, lol. Thanks so much for the info, this was exactly what I was looking for!
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 1:15am
Engine Trans and Axles ~ That was my first time EVER shooting paint thru a gun. I did thin it out 10% on the engine and trans.

Yes 1 can should = 2-4 trailers depending on how thick you apply. Sherwin Williams counter guys are great help with application advice (just get one that has been around a while). The SW guy I deal with is retired and restores old tractors.

I snagged a CC 25 hp J-16 Carolina Skiff Friday on a deal hoping to turn it into a project Nautique by next summer.     

PS: 3 yrs later and engine still looks new and shiny. Intake painted with a rattle can is showing 3 yrs age.
Michael ....    

80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 4:20pm
Great find! The story sounds familiar to mine.

I brushed on Rustoleum "hammered finish" and am very satisfied with the results. Not sure they have your color though.

Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 4:25pm
Is that a Buick GN in the garage?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Nauti87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 5:52pm
Very cool, I wish I had taken pics of mine when I drug it home!,, Also wish it had a chevy motor like yours!
dconner08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dconner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 6:27pm
Nice find, glad to see your saving it.
79 ski tique- first boat and its a learning process
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Is that a Buick GN in the garage?

Yes ~ wifey's dad's (1 of 3) 1 show n go / 1 driver / 1 in process...

Trying to hook him into the Nautiques too.
Michael ....    

Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 10:21pm
Noel, I don't think you could have anymore of an ironic user name! haha. Michael, those carolina skiffs are solid little boats and seem to hold their value pretty well similar to Whalers, Makos, Aquasports, etc. And thanks all for the paint info. My next, and most immediate problem, I suppose, is the graphics. How in the world do I go about finding the proper stencils and paint to redo them? Thanks in advanced,
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Silver15 Silver15 wrote:

How in the world do I go about finding the proper stencils and paint to redo them? Thanks in advanced,

Jake,
Several of our members have done the same graphics and one of them is Alan! The straight lines can be done by hand with 3M fine line tape. The lettering can be done a couple ways but the easy way is to trace the existing and then take it to a vinyl sign shop. They will scan the tracing into the computer, clean it up and then cut the paint stencil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 11:30pm
Pete, I read some old threads and one guy actually said he had the files to take to a sign shop to have the stencils generated. He seems to be an inactive member anymore. Here's another question: what paint do I use for the graphics? I was thinking an epoxy type paint? I just want it to look uniform with the rest of the boat.
Dad wanted to put the boat in today and go wakeboarding and it wouldn't run properly. I took a peak down the carb, and the primary jets (mostly the starboard one) were just dripping gas down into the manifolds. So I guess the carb needs to be gone through again. Not surprised. It was really rough.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 11:36pm
Also, I was just going to roll on the graphics with a high quality sponge roller same as the trailer... is that a stupid idea? I feel like spray guns just waste a lot of paint especially if the target area is so small.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 8:57am
Jake,
To my knowledge, all the painted graphics were done with Rustoleum at the factory and brushed on. It sticks! Some here have gone with some automotive paints and sprayed. If you are worried about too wide of a spray pattern, the better guns can be dialed back quite a lot or you could go with a air brush.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2012 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by 80SN Barnfind 80SN Barnfind wrote:

Great find! The story sounds familiar to mine.

I brushed on Rustoleum "hammered finish" and am very satisfied with the results. Not sure they have your color though.

Anyone know where I can find the pcm valve cover decal in this pic?? Skidim says there no longer available .. not trying to hijack post btw..
1977 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes
1994 Ski Nautique
2000 Super Air Nautique
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
1999 Sport Nautique gt40 current

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2012 at 1:34am
Marty Mabe possibly can help ! Marty time to make another obsolete decal !!
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2012 at 9:57pm
Here's some progress. Spent most of today buffing out the topside of the boat. I am pretty pleased with the turnout. I got that cool, wet shine I was hoping for. There's some staining from years of sitting that I just can't get out, which makes me a little angry, but it is what it is. Also, ignore the dirty mess from where the horns were located, haven't cleaned that up yet.
I'll spend some time, maybe Monday, finishing the sides. Then I get to start working on the graphics paint and interior finishing.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2012 at 9:58pm
Also, I haven't de-oxydized the dash around the gauge cluster yet. That's why that still looks rough.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2012 at 12:13am
Looking good Jake! Guess you got busy on it just after I left. Nice progress. Did you do it by hand or with a machine?
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2012 at 1:04am
There is a graphics file for an 81 in the reference section of this website. I think they are the same as an 80. Not positive. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2012 at 1:33am
Thanks, BKH!! I think they are actually the exact same. I guess if I take those files to a sign shop, they will be able to make the templates? And yes, Bret, I had actually gone to BPS to buy the compound and wax when you came over. It looks quite a bit different than when you saw it last!
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2012 at 1:52am
The sign shop can make a gerber mask (I think its called) so you can paint them, or can make that graphic in vinyl and you can stick them on. Alan, 81 Nautique, made the stencile for his 81 about 7 years ago. If you do a search, he chronicled the entire rebuild, including paint. His is considered one of the best looking rebuilds on CCFan for a boat of that era. A guy in Illinois just bought the boat and some photos were posted in the last week. There was also another guy from Tennesee that repainted the graphics in Vol Orange and another from Florida that painted his lime green. Not original, but those graphics really hold up well to color changes. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2012 at 1:56am
I sort of like the vinyl idea. That would eliminate me possibly screwing up the paint. And yes, I've seen that boat! It looks very, very good. If I could achieve that kind of turnout, I'm all for it.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2012 at 7:26am
Looking good!!! Can't wait to see it all back together on the water in the sun.     
Michael ....    

Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2012 at 11:19pm
Thanks, I really wanted to get to the sides over the long weekend but had no time. AP classes are kicking my butt, so it may be a few days before I get a chance to even touch it again.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2012 at 3:51pm
Jake, Looking great !!
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2012 at 9:28pm
Some time spent wet-sanding will get those stains out. Then re-polish, wax, etc...some good intel on here on what grit to start and end with.
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2012 at 4:02pm
Okay, guys. I tried to hit the sides with the buffer/starbright compound like I did the top. The sides are way worse than the top apparently. I can't get much shine. It's like a chalk board. Also, the buffer picks up the blue graphics and smears them all over the place, so I have to mask it all off.
Needless to say, I think I need to go the wetsanding route. Can anybody tell me the proper method? I tried to search the forums, but the search feature NEVER works for me. Thanks in advanced.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic