Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT 40 no start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
minasianj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minasianj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT 40 no start
    Posted: August-05-2012 at 10:57pm
Hello,
Our 1994 GT 40 (fuel injection/EFI) will not start, no sputtering whatsoever. Unlike usual, when ignition is on I do NOT hear low pressure fuel pump priming system. I hear an initial click but no priming/pumping. At fuel pressure gauge check-valve on fuel injector rail there is no evidence of pressure or fuel. When I crank it over I have visual spark at #1 spark plug. When starting fluid shot into air cleaner engine sputters/wants to fire unlike cranking without SF.

1) Is an inoperative low pressure fuel pump sufficient reason for engine not to start at all?
2) What is the best way to troubleshoot the LPFP? Should I start by replacing the relays? What is the procedure for testing if the LPFP is getting power?
3) I only have access to the boat on weekends. What parts/specialty tools do you suggest I have with me next weekend?

Please respond with as much or as little detail as you wish. I appreciate any guidance,
Thanks,
Jackson Minasian
cooperlacy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooperlacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2012 at 11:37pm
The easiest way to check if you are getting power to the low pressure fuel pump is to pull the two connectors off and test the voltage with a multimeter. When you turn the key to ON, you should see 12V for about two (2) seconds and then it will drop back to zero (0). If you try to crank the engine, the power should come back on. You can test the high pressure pump in the same manner, but you may need some very skinny leads on your multimeter. If I remember correctly, the HPFP connector has very narrow pin holes.

I don't believe you need any tools at all to pull the connectors off of either of the fuel pumps. They are just push-on or a connector with a small clip.

Good luck,
Cooper
minasianj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minasianj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2012 at 9:46pm
Hey Cooper thanks for the suggestions. I finally got back to the boat yesterday and after performing the multimeter test you suggested showed low power levels, I went ahead and replaced the relay and that seems to have been the problem. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond,
Jackson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic