Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 Winsor oil pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 Winsor oil pump
    Posted: November-12-2005 at 3:12pm
Is the rotation of the oil pump the same as the automotive pump on a 351 Winsor? What are the differences if any. I have a friend in Col. who is having his rebuilt and since the motor turns I would assume the oil pump turns the other was as well? He has put an automotive oil pump on it and I suggested we check this out first. The only way I can see an automotive oil pump work is if it's driven off the other side of the camshaft. I'm not that familiar with 351's so I could be wrong and won't be offended if someone cares to point that out and save my friend a bunch of gold.
Thanks
Mike S
Longview, Tx
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 1:36pm
Did you know the distributor rotates the same direction in a reverse rotation 351 as a car motor?, but the firing order is different.
The cam turns opposite direction (reverse rotation) but the cam/distributor drive gears are ground opposite angle so the cam turns backward to a car engine but the distributor turns counter clockwise like a car engine. The answer to your question is the oil pump connected to the distributor turns the same as a car motor, any high volume pump will do. It worked for me.
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 6:51pm
Thanks, After reading the pdf service manual for fords on this site last night I finally figured out the gears on the cam and dist shaft had to be cut different and the auto pump would work. It's always nice to have someone confirm that though and I appreciate it.
The service manual is a great resource and I thank those that made it available.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic