NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine surging at high load/ high rpm

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
new86owner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine surging at high load/ high rpm
    Posted: July-19-2012 at 11:49pm
High all,

I have searched the forum and haven't really found an answer. I've got a 1986 SN with a 351W, electronic ignition, Holley 4 barrel.

Here are the symptons:

Running in the yard on hose:

Engine starts, idles smooth, runs good up to ~3200 RPM. If I add additional throttle, it surges between 3000-3400RPM. It will continue this indefinitely. If I try to rev higher it bogs and sputters worse. If I back off, it runs smooth.

Running in the lake:

Starts fine, runs smooth, takes off and gets on plane at 1/2 throttle or so. At full throttle it sputters and won't get on plane.

If I drive around for a while, the sputtering starts at lower and lower RPMs until finally it won't even run when you go from neutral to forward.

I have replaced water filter/separator, drained some gas from tank (had some water), still didn't run good. I have now replaced the fuel pump and it still surges when running in the yard. I don't see any point in dragging it back to the lake now since it won't get above 3500 RPM on the hose.

I rebuilt the carb last year, not sure if I did something that would cause this problem...

Any troubleshooting tips? I am convinced it is a fuel issue, since it runs perfectly smooth up to 3000 RPM. I am thinking an ignition issue would show up sooner.

Maybe it is sucking air and leaning out at high RPM??? I'll try spraying ether around the carb next and see if that smooths out the surges.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Keith

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 1:06am
What kind of EI do you have? Do you have the original dizzy you could try? May be the cause.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 1:13am
Pertronix. Have had the electronic ignition for 5+ years with no issues. Same distributor, just replaced the points with the electronic components.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 10:19pm
Decided to upload a video to see if anyone can help...

Video Link

Bought plugs and wires, but pulled first 4 plugs and they looked perfect. Haven't pulled the other 4.

Ideas welcome!

Thanks,
Keith
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 10:23pm
EI's are known to have problems.   Your problem sounds heat related, as it gets worse when the engine has been running for a while.   Read up on the Pertronix failures, and then on coil failures, I think either is a possibility.   If you do end up with a new coil, don't get an oil filled one, they tend to breakdown quickly. you'll need to get an epoxy filled one for longevity.   BTW, searching the site through google seems to be a bit more reliable than the search feature :)   
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 10:32pm
I have the Flamethrower II Pertronix coil which is epoxy filled. I guess I could buy a new one, any easy way to test my current one?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 11:12pm
Did you check your antisiphon valve?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 11:17pm
Yep, Even ran it with the gas cap off. No difference.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 12:15pm
First described as fuel starvation but after reviewing the video, its quick recovery and repedidness i want to say ignition. Usually fuel starvation will pop and fall flat and not recover like that.

1) Throw the breaker plate and points back on as a test. Pertronix do fail if different ways. I really suspect the igniter is failing. You do have the breaker plate in the glovebox, right?

2) if you still suspect fuel, you could find an outboard fuel tank, and run the boat off that as a test. Just plug the line to the tank well.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 1:07pm
the way your tack is based off spark for #1 cylinder. and the way its jumping around while the engine is surging definitely says ignition problem.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 1:21pm
Clean the ei setup and check gap
Brian
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 3:30pm
Thanks guys. Don't have the points. Replaced with the EI about 8 years ago. I thought the whole idea was I would never have to mess with it again!!!

Anyway, I'll see what I can do to troubleshoot it tonight. Was thinking about putting a inductive timing light pickup on each different plug wire and make sure I get consistent pulses of current to each plug. Not sure if I will be able to discern the flashes at the higher rpms, but we'll see.

Thanks for the advice. I'll post results when I get it figured out!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2012 at 11:35pm
Ok, getting close now. I put a timing light on the plug wires (one at a time) and noticed when the rpm dropped, there was no spark to 3 cylinders! I swapped a couple plugs and wires, even re-routed the wires to put the distributor on 180 degrees backwards. Still the same cylinders were not getting the juice!

I am thinking it is definitely the EI setup now...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 2:02am
UPDATE: Changed the EI module and it helped but still didn't run smooth at high RPM. Changed the distributor cap and it is running smooth!!! I hope to take it to the river for a real test, but I think I've got it fixed now. Too bad I spent all that money on fuel filters, fuel pump, EI, only to figure out it was the dist. cap!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2015 at 7:52pm
Ok guys, after fiddling and letting the boat sit for 3 years, I'm trying again to figure this thing out. It is definitely an ignition problem, but I've changed the coil, pertronix ignition, wires, plugs, cap and rotor all to no avail...

Any ideas on how to narrow this down?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 1:43pm
No ideas? A little more information, I installed a new alternator several years ago around the same time I starting having issues. It is a 1 wire alternator from skidim. When I start the engine and rev it, the voltage gauge goes up to around 14. When I shut it off, it is around 11-12. However, after running for 1/2 an hour, the battery is dead and won't start. I just installed a new battery. Could the alternator be causing interference with the ignition at high rpms?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 2:04pm
This is a little bit of a toughie, a couple variables going on with the alternator, and EI conversion kit etc. Could you do a chronilogical time line. I'll start what I mean, and you can fix it and add to it.

Summer 2002: Boat Running fine

Summer 2003: Added EI Conversion Kit

Summer 2004: Battery not charging

Summer 2004: Got new 1 wire alternator

Summer 2005: Engine started hesitating etc.

Summer 2006: Noticed boat dying after 1/2 hour etc.

Something like that, add as many potentially relevant details you can think of and put them in the correct order.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 3:45pm
Something like this:

Summer 2002: Boat Running fine

Summer 2003: Added EI Conversion Kit, boat running fine

Summer 2006: Battery not charging

Summer 2006: Got new 1 wire alternator, boat in storage, not sure status of charging or ignition issues.

Summer 2011: Boat out of storage, not charging, ignition issues

Summer 2012: Replaced EI system with new, replaced coil, battery, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor button. Still same issues, gave up...

Summer 2015: New battery. Same issues.

I'm thinking of taking the belt off the alternator and seeing if the ignition issues are still there. Does that sound like a good troubleshooting step?

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by new86owner new86owner wrote:

I'm thinking of taking the belt off the alternator and seeing if the ignition issues are still there. Does that sound like a good troubleshooting step?

I don't think that will hurt anything, but not sure it would help. I guess you would be no worse off than you are now, not charging. And, if the ignition issues went away, I guess that would be a clue.

1.) At this point, do you basically charge the battery with a plug in charger every time you want to use it, then go out for a 1/2 hour until the battery runs down, then die out?

2.) When you gave your voltage readings of 11-12 then 14 with the motor running, where were you getting the reading from, the dash?
A better trouble shooting step would be to put a voltage meter (multi meter set to 12 volt battery voltage) right on the + and - battery terminals, and see what you're getting with
*ignition off
*ignition turned on engine off
*engine on
*engine on and revving

My only theory as that something is grounding out in the area of the distributor, messing up your spark and drawing everything down. You mentioned above that 3 of the cylinders weren't getting spark, sometimes that can happen if you have too much play in the dizzy. I'll ask the question of others, could that cause the distributor to ground against the block also?
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2015 at 4:45pm
Once had similar issue
started fine on full charge but not after running.
Turns out stupidly hadn't noticed loose belt so alternator was not doing it's thing.
am sure you checked but just in case

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2015 at 12:46pm
One quick question/check. When you converted to the one wire distributor, what did you do with the extra two wires? Are they tied up out of the way, not touching each other and not touching the block?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 3:04pm
Bri89:

1) I am not using the boat now, but a couple years ago when I was messing with it, yes, I was charging the battery from a charger.

2)Yes, I have corroborated the dash readings with a multimeter on the battery terminals.

Readings:
*ignition off 12V
*ignition turned on engine off 12V
*engine on -when you first crank it stays at 12V.
*engine on and revving - after first rev above 2000 RPM alternator starts charging and will stay around 14V until ignition is switched off.

I will find the other alternator wiring and make sure it is taped up and not grounding out.

74Wind, yes, belt is tight.

I may have time to tinker with it this evening, will report back with any findings.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 3:16pm
Your alternator should charge or its broken or not connected to the battery due to a bad breaker or bad wiring. Take off the alternator and have it tested and your friendly neighborhood auto parts store, if it is no good get another one.

How it is running Sounds like a classic low voltage to the ignition system from the ignition switch problem to me, don't know if you have a resistor or not but you should measure voltage that actually reaches the resistor from the ignition switch while you are running. Your alternator problem could be making this worse, new parts and a fresh battery could mask it for a little while.. but the root cause would still be an inadequate set of wiring.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 11:08pm
Did some testing today, removed alternator belt, no changes in the symptoms. Also, found the wire that was not connected to the alternator, it was 12V wired to the ignition, so I connected it to the exciter terminal on the alternator. Now voltage on battery shows 13+ immediately after cranking.

The ignition issue is still stumping me, but I have a theory. I pulled the rotor button off and the Pertronix magnetic pickup collar came off and some of the tiny magnets fell out. I stuck them back in and fired it up again and it seemed to run worse. Maybe I stuck them in backwards? I sent Pertronix an email, but does anyone have a part number for the magnetic pickup collar? 1581R is the PN for the rotor but does not include the pickup collar. I am thinking it is 15813, but not sure.

I think I will go ahead and order a new rotor button also, it was slightly cracked.

This is starting to make sense in my head because I replaced the rotor button, but I don't ever remember replacing the pickup collar...

Will keep you guys posted.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 12:09am
It sounds like you're starting to get warm now.

Good work on connecting that alternator wire. Hopefully no damage was done to the alternator, but it sounds like you caught it in time. That should stabilize your voltage output and hopefully fix the charging issue.

Not sure if the voltage being all over the place would affect your ignition or not, but it's possible.

I don't know much about the electronic conversion kit you used, but I don't believe the collar is supposed to be a wear and tear item. It sounds like it just fell apart on you. But, at least you know part of your problem lies there as well.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2015 at 12:06am
Update, got ahold of Pertronix and ordered a new rotor button, magnetic collar, and new distributor advance springs. Since the miss starts around 3000 RPM, they suggested maybe the springs are not creating the correct advance. They are pretty rusty, so maybe that is part of the issue. Now I'll just have to wait until the parts arrive. Hopefully get on the water by the end of summer!
Furball_127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furball_127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 1:41pm
I am having the same problem with my 87 supra sunsport with the 351w and the same Pertronix ignition (mine ignition is 9 years old). I have chased this problem from fuel pickup to fuel filter to fuel pump, carb rebuild, cap and rotor, new plugs , new ground ran from block to motor, cleaned/checked all electrical connections and still no answers. This thing runs and starts better than it ever did but then the surging happens and its a big punch to the gut and a huge hit on the ego. I really hope you have shed some new light on my problem. Hopefully you have found your problem and if so you may have saved my summer as well. Please keep us posted! Fingers crossed you got this figured out!
3guysandaboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3guysandaboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 11:43pm
Definitely following this thread, as I picked up a 86 SN 2001 with the 351W, and has the exact same issues. Looking forward to hearing what your solution is. Also how you tested and isolated certain components to rule them out would be greatly appreciated.

With our summer season being so short up north here, hope to be able to use it prior to the first snowfall
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 4:17pm
OK guys, finally figured it out. I installed new magnetic pickup, rotor button and advance springs. Started it up. Same issue, runs good up to ~3,000 RPM, then misses and fluctuates between 2-3,000 RPM. While I was installing the components, I noticed some vertical slop in the distributor shaft. Hmm... I think what has been happening is that when the RPM increases enough for the advance weights to expand, the distributor shaft rises up just enough so that the magnets don't line up with the pickup.

Eureeka! I put a washer under the pickup plate to make it a little higher and now it runs like a champ, up to 5,000 RPM no problem. Now I just have to get to the river for a test run!

Thanks for everyone's input on the issue. I'll report back after my test run, but looks like I finally figured it out.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 4:45pm
Nice
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic