NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leaking Holley carb - Help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brittcrowell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaking Holley carb - Help
    Posted: July-16-2012 at 7:55pm
Just rebuilt my Holley carb on my '93 ski.
After about 6-8 of turning it over and getting the carb primed it ran just fine. Then I noticed the leak. Its coming form the metal plugs on the front a rear bowls, 3 of the 4 are leaking/seeping when the boat is running. What is the right way to fix this besides buying new bowls. I had a friend with a shop dip the carb, so maybe that messed things up by removing some kind of glue or sealant?
HELP!
Please.

Thanks,
Britt

'93 Ski Nautique (needs new interior)
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 12:02pm
let it sit with the bowls full of fuel and try it again...it may stop leaking (i think the plugs or sealant swell a bit)...mine did.
f not, some jb weld may work...new bowls will definitely work.
seems i've seen this problem posted (including me) about 5 times this year...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Patman79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 12:05pm
Mine were covered in JB Weld when I got the boat. I wondered what that was all about and now I have a pretty good idea! I just bought a "new" rebuilt carb last week and it gets here tomorrow!
Patrick
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 12:40pm
FYI, Kris (Big Pappa) had the same issue with his '85 and it stopped leaking after sitting a bit with fuel in the bowls...
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 1:36pm
I had the same issue as well. I performed a JB Weld fix and it hasn't leaked since. I didn't wait to see if it would fix itself as I was leaving on a boating trip and didn't want to take the gamble.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

I had the same issue as well. I performed a JB Weld fix and it hasn't leaked since. I didn't wait to see if it would fix itself as I was leaving on a boating trip and didn't want to take the gamble.

What did it take to get the plugs out?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 3:59pm
No need to remove anything. A dab of jb weld at the seam will seal it up. This seems to be a common problem. Ive had to do on several different boats. Havent had one start leaking afterwards yet.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 5:06pm
Well I just confirmed it sealed itself up over night with gas sitting in it.

Thanks for all the support guys.

Britt
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 5:17pm
nice!!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 8:35pm
been there, done that!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic