Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 5.8l Ford V8 351w equivilent distributer kit???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

5.8l Ford V8 351w equivilent distributer kit???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GrumpyGeoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyGeoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5.8l Ford V8 351w equivilent distributer kit???
    Posted: July-16-2012 at 6:59pm
Hi all,

we're looking to do a full service on our 1980 ski nautique with the 5.8l V8 351w engine but are really having trouble getting parts in the UK

The main thing we are struggling with is the distributer cap, condenser, rotor arm and points

To get a replacement kit over jere we're being quoted nearly £100 but when we look at kits for cars they're around £25.

We're trying to find out if we can use parts from a car kit (probably not the cap as it has to be marinised) but surely the points, condenser and arm must be the same as some other model of car

can anyone help us cross refrence the marinised stuff with something from a car that means we can easliy and regularily get hold of them to replace??

the dissy cap has these part number on;
AF-J1171...its a Prestolite
....Don't have children, unless you plan to win the lottery anytime soon!!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 7:10pm
I remember asking a parts store for the marine version of a cap for a 1982 SN (this was back in 1986), and the automotive version. The difference, besides a huge price mark-up, was that the marine version had a rubber o-ring type gasket that sealed the bottom of the cap to the distributor. My uncle and I looked at each other and said, "I think we can re-use the o-ring that's on our boat now." We did so, and never had a problem. Saved us a bunch of money if I recall correctly.

I'm not suggesting you do anything, just sharing some (very old) memories.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 7:13pm
I just bought some Conti road bike tires from the UK, cheaper then i can get here, is just a few days.

Should work in reverse!

While i agree fundamentally that those components likely have an automotive cross referencs, don't use car parts for ignition and carburation as a rule.

Lets first see if if we can get you the right stuff first time.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 7:23pm
While auto caps may be vented that drilled vent could be epoxied closed and the base gasket reused.But the main difference I have seen are that the terminals on auto caps always seem to be aluminium and the marine ones are brass.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyGeoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 7:38pm
Thanks for the quick responses everyone,

Our cap is actually fine, its just the internals we want to change (Rotor arm, condensor, and points themeselves)

If we need to we can replace the cap with a proper marine one which we can get over here (a little more expensive but manageable)

Alternatively does anyone know a good place to get a proper marine kit from, that means i wont have to get a second mortgage...or sell one of the kids...if anyone was daft enough to to buy one lol :)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 9:23pm
Auto parts are OK for rotor, points, condenser.

Here are some part #'s maybe you can cross reference them to a local source:

Prestolite Marine Distributor parts

Points Part No. 18-5303
Rotor Part No. 18-5403
Condensor No. 18-5340

Sierra #             O.E. #             Description
18-5303        392-6325        Contact Set
18-5347        392-6324        Condenser
18-5407 3        92-6326        Rotor

Hope this helps
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrumpyGeoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 11:47am
Thanks all for the help, managed to get the parts in the uk from Key parts uk at a reasonable price
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic