Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission swap ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
zach1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zach1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission swap ?
    Posted: July-10-2012 at 2:35am
i am working on a 1997 ski Nautique it has no reverse and no neutral any more. It has a 1.23/1 PCM transmission in it now. I have a 1/1 PCM transmission from a 1991 supra and the prop to match. Does anyone know if i can just swap the trans and the prop and run it tell i get the other one fixed thanks for the help. And yes i tried to call Eric today but i don't get off work tell 5 and they are closed.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 3:05am
I think that by the time you figure this all out,your rebuilt one would be back IMO.The PCM trans has an angled output shaft so the engine sits more level,I also believe it changes the rotation of the prop so the engine is a left rotation and the prop turns right. Others who know the newer boats will be able help in the morning.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 10:45am
Keep it original!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 12:11pm
the 1.23:1 has an angled output so the engine sits MORE level. they did this in late 80's as a PowerPlus package because it allowed the front cylinders to receive more fuel and the back cylinders less so its more balanced as they found when the engine is inline with the prop shaft the front tended to run lean while the back ran rich. The PCM 1:1 is an inline transmission. This will be a huge challenge if its even remotely possible as you would need engine mounts with big adjustment and you need to get every thing lined up perfectly or else it will fain in short time.

So it would be best to buy a new 1.23:1 or have it rebuilt.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 12:21pm
Sounds like trouble to me. Sell the 1:1 and use the money to rebuild the 1.23:1
zach1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zach1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 11:22pm
I guess I don't understand didn't some of the ski nautique come with a 1/1 transmission . did they have different motor mounts . or is it just a matter of realigning the engine .
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 11:33pm
They did... And from what joe says, the mounts should work for both.

But I still agree with the above suggestion... By the time you buy a new prop and do a massive realignment, it would be cheaper and easier to rebuild the 1.23 and stick it back in. Not to mention the handling abnormalities caused by the lh prop nor the lesser holeshot of the 1:1.
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 11:38pm
it depends on the year. the 1:1 transmission requires the engine and transmission to be in line with the prop shaft. when pcm made the 1.23:1 transmission they angled the output so the engine could sit almost level for a more efficient engine. they called this the "PowerPlus Package". many boats went straight to the PowerPlus package for more performance at not too much more cost.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic