Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Temp spike on shut down

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rfarkash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfarkash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temp spike on shut down
    Posted: June-29-2012 at 12:58am
Damn, jinxed myself bragging how cool my engine was running earlier in the week.
Got out after work today, and after pulling the kids around on the kneeboard, noticed the temp gage spike all the way on shut down. Didn't rise slowly, just went from 145 to buried in the red. Running right at 145 the entire time engine is on. After kids got in the boat, as soon as I cranked the engine, temp immediately dropped down to normal. Assuming it's a wiring/ground issue, but need some reassurance or diagnostics to run.
As an aside, everytime someone is near the stern, approaching the swim platform, I kill the engine vs. pulling the neutral safety - is that SOP or overly cautious?
Thanks
Ron
Ron 1989 Ski Nautique
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 1:37am
definitely a grounding issue. but just pulling the neutral safety doesn't mean its safe. many boats still have their prop shaft turning slowly when in neutral. our Martinique does it often. and my uncle Martinique with the slightest rev his prop shaft will turn. so it is a good idea to cut engine when someone is near the ski deck
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 1:39am
Ron,

I think it is overkill pulling the neutral but to each his own. Your prop should not be spinning much when at neutral if any. Also you have to stick your feet way up under the boat to get to the prop.
Check you clamps on the down side of the raw water pump. put a ratchet on them.
83Ski
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 12:41pm
I agree with Don on this on both counts. The late 80's SN are notorius for having Gnd issues. If I look down to check the gages and I seem to running a little hotter then normal I'll turn the nav lights on, peg the needles to the right then turn it off and watch the temp gauge drop 20'F or so. Most do it unless the gnd issue has been addressed under the dash.

I think killing the engine is a bit overkill everytime someone gets near the platform. If it's just a matter of changing out skiers, or picking one up cause it's time to run down the lake then I wouldn't worry about it. I've been doing it for years and it's never been a problem. The prop is a good 4Ft back from the edge of the platform and at an angle with a rudder in front of it as well so you'd REALLY have to be reaching for it with your feet to hit it. Good habit to pull out the neutral knob though while some is back there. I'm still trying to make that a habit myself if I'm gonna get out of the drivers seat and the engine is running. I definately need to change that one.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 1:24pm
This could be a little bit of heat soak too, right?

Although, I agree, the gauge moving that far over is most likely ground/electrical. Here is how I added a new ground, wire, then added a ground bus to mine:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21901
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 2:24pm
yeah cc's wiring is very evil. luckily they put in two terminal blocks in our Martinique. one was barely used for a aground and the other had 2 wires on it(for the radio). So i set up a positive terminal block and a ground one. now the gauges barely move if i turn something on and the lights barely dim when they come on and something is running. I am surprised at how horrible it was. But cc makes boats. Not good electrical setups :P
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 2:32pm
I'm wondering if the price of copper was super high during the late 80s, early 90s? It seems like they really skimped during that period. It doesn't sound like the older boats have those sorts of problems.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

many boats still have their prop shaft turning slowly when in neutral. our Martinique does it often. and my uncle Martinique with the slightest rev his prop shaft will turn

Dirty neutral
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

The prop is a good 4Ft back from the edge of the platform and at an angle with a rudder in front of it as well so you'd REALLY have to be reaching for it with your feet to hit it.

I mostly agree except that folks new to boats and the whole skiing thing invariably go looking for something to put their feet on. For someone experienced like 'foot, I barely slow down.

Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Good habit to pull out the neutral knob though while some is back there. I'm still trying to make that a habit myself if I'm gonna get out of the drivers seat and the engine is running. I definately need to change that one.

Let those shorts catch one time and...off to Eric's with the tranny. Or at least we hope that's the worst of it.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
rfarkash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfarkash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 12:33am
Electrical gremlins confirmed. Tonight on the lake did a little experiment. Only ignition switch on, temps fine, no spike on shutdown. Turned on Nav lights, as soon as engine off, needle starts to climb. As soon as nav light turned off, needle back to normal.
Looks like I'll be crawling around under the dash in the near future to rewire ground
Ron
Ron 1989 Ski Nautique
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 12:46am
Originally posted by rfarkash rfarkash wrote:

As an aside, everytime someone is near the stern, approaching the swim platform, I kill the engine vs. pulling the neutral safety - is that SOP or overly cautious?
Thanks
Ron

Anyone getting on the platform or getting off, key off and on the dash.
rfarkash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfarkash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 2:11am
BTW - noticed your username is Ultrarunner - see you in Vermont July 21?
Ron
Ron 1989 Ski Nautique
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 2:53am
Ahhh.....that's a good race. Haven't done that one, but it's on the list in the next couple of years...Good luck to ya!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 10:29am
+1 for engine off anytime some one is on platform or climbing onto it.

My kids wouldn't have it any other way.

Helps with not breathing CO also.

There really isn't a reason to be in a hurry anyway, out there to relax & have a good time.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2012 at 1:11am
When you shut the boat off The gauge is going to read hot, no water flowing through the motor, Kinda of like your car. When you shut it off it will get hotter. I think a lot of boats do this
Lakedog55
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2012 at 4:44pm
Our 96' will heat up a bit when shut down. As soon as she is fired back up, temp goes back to normal with the fresh circulation of water. I always lift the doghouse when we are going to relax for a bit after some runs to let her cool down to. I also shut it down any time someone is getting on or off the platform. Better to be safe than sorry.
levin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic