NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

carb studs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carb studs
    Posted: June-27-2012 at 11:38am
Does anyone know the specs on the stock carb studs for the 86 351? I am wanting to eliminate the carb spacer and need to get shorter studs obviously and need to know the threads on each end.

Also as a side question, what kind of valve cover gasket do you guys prefer? Cork or rubber?
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 11:52am
well. for the valve cover use rubber. you will be able to get it off after you put it back together with out it tearing. also. why do you need to eliminate the spacer? it will decrease performance.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

well. for the valve cover use rubber. you will be able to get it off after you put it back together with out it tearing. also. why do you need to eliminate the spacer? it will decrease performance.

Well, not sure about how much performance I will lose. I have a high rise manifold and now I need the spacer out to get the doghouse shut. I know a few other guys have eliminated the spacer in order to get it shut. I already cut the flame arrestor down all the way and it still wont quite shut. I need another 1/2 inch probably.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 12:30pm
Have you figured out where to plumb your PVC?

Ive used both rubber gaskets (Felpro) and cork (PCM, with the metal washers built in) on the valve covers. Both are good.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 12:34pm
I was going to go into the intake in the rear. I know someone else did it that way. I also know the comments about that cylinder possibly running lean, but I think that was debunked. Maybe not. right now I inserted some aluminum shims under the front of the doghouse which works for supporting it but, its a little noisier since it wont shut all the way. Maybe I am splitting hairs and should leave it alone but since I have the engine apart again, I thought I might try it without the spacer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 3:21pm
well even though you now have a high rise manifold the spacer still allows the air to build some momentum as it goes into the intake manifold and this really helps with low end torque. especially for a 351w. but if you move the pcv to one of the intakes that cylinder will run lean if your engine vets a decent amount. over this past weekend i found out that our Martinique vets a decent amount of white smoke from the both valve covers when i disconnect the hoses from the valve covers. :(
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 3:45pm
Low end torque on a ski boat needn't be a consideration, IMHO. The taller intake manifold will provide better performance than the stock intake + spacer.

I dont think we've ever settled the plumbing of the PCV issue... I dont think we've seen conclusive evidence that it does or doesnt lean out that particular cylinder at all when plumbed to the intake manifold. A newer Holley with a built in PCV port would be the ideal solution.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 4:30pm
yes a new holley would be nice, but my boat budget is shot for the year. So tim you really think I should leave it be then and just deal with the fact there is slight opening at the bottom of the doghouse. The aluminum pieces I added are supporting it so it isnt resting on the carb or anything. Im not really worried about any loss in torque or hp, it would be negligable to the point of not noticing I would imagine.

I dropped 400lbs of wet foam, added gt-40 heads, highrise intake, and an acme 540. I never was lacking power before all that, I could still slalom fine with 5 people in the boat. Im not worried about the performance with/without the spacer.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 4:52pm
Let more people weigh in on the plumbing of the PCV. Im not convinced one way or the other. I played it safe and kept my spacer, but I was able to fit it under the box by raising up my floor. Prior to doing that, I ran my boat for a summer with a blocked up motorbox.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 5:03pm

but if you move the pcv to one of the intakes that cylinder will run lean if your engine vets a decent amount. over this past weekend i found out that our Martinique vets a decent amount of white smoke from the both valve covers when i disconnect the hoses from the valve covers. :(

If you have excessive blow-by I'd think the rings are worn.

My Weiand Stealth intake has a tapped port in the #7 intake runner
that is used for PVC vacuum and Im using it. So far so good.

My engine cover would'nt close so I removed the spacer. The hood clears the carb J tubes by 1/2 in. So I cut the spark arrester down to just clear the J tubes. The Stealth intake is 2 in taller than stock with the 1in spacer. A Proformer intake 1in taller.
I do have a hood to cut up and glass but it's down the list of things to do.

My boat runs good the way its set up (50 with the wind on GPS)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 5:17pm
yes I have minimum blowby. rings are good, so I wouldnt think I would have lean running issues. maybe i will leave it be this year and switch it up next year. I dknow, it is apart now so Im tempted to make the change. The edelbrock performer rpm has a port in the #4 runner.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

but if you move the pcv to one of the intakes that cylinder will run lean if your engine vets a decent amount. over this past weekend i found out that our Martinique vets a decent amount of white smoke from the both valve covers when i disconnect the hoses from the valve covers. :(

If you have excessive blow-by I'd think the rings are worn.

My Weiand Stealth intake has a tapped port in the #7 intake runner
that is used for PVC vacuum and Im using it. So far so good.

yes they probably are. the boat only had 540 hours on it when we bought it and now its got almost 800. we acquired it in fall of 2010. but a ring job wont be done for a long time. only prob we have had is it got overheated and the sharp "S" bends that cc made with wire tubing collapsed and the engine would refuse to run from 750-1200 rpm. it would shake really bad and then literally jump and the rpms would be just over 1200.
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 5:55pm
as for the pcv placing. since you have it apart just go ahead and make the change. you said you have minimal blow by so that wont effect that one cylinder prob at all. plus you wont have to tear everything apart again later to do the change.
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 6:10pm
ya thats what I was thinking but I guess I wanted to see if someone would really try and stop me , like no you fool!!!! HA.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic