Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Knock sensor location help and wiring.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knock sensor location help and wiring.
    Posted: June-26-2012 at 2:27pm
I dont know the year of the engine other than the boat is a 1992 so i figure just a early 90's pcm 5.8 with the protec ignition. I have heard people say the knock sensor is on the back of one the heads but when i went to look for ours, it was on the intake manifold. Now about 15 years ago we had water come back up through the exhaust and destroy the heads during some powerslides. So it has two "new" (as in already over 15 years old) heads on the engine. There is more but thats for later.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 2:55pm

I have no idea what is going on here but this is how it has been for many years.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 3:51pm
i really would like to know where the knock sensor is supposed to be located and how its supposed to be wired.
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
N2Deep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2Deep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 7:19pm
Mine knock sensor is located on the right side rear just below the back of the head. I would have to look at mine to see what I have in the location where your knock sensor is.
I will check when I am off work and take a pic for ya.
Looks correct on the wiring - it is the first off-white wire of the second set on the protec and the ground goes to the metal sheathing around the inner wire. So that looks all correct
1991 SN pulled by a 2010 Tundra
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 8:09pm
the one labeled as knock sensor should actually be the temp sender to the gauge.

About the knock sensor yes it belongs to the rear of the cylinder head. And its wired with a coated white cable,

looking again I might be wrong...anyway the knock sensor in my case was in the head....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 8:17pm
I see the picture and indeed i´m wrong, I see labels for the T1 t2 in the open threaded holes in the front of the manifold.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 8:19pm
double pumper carb? odd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 10:35pm
i have no idea what is going on with the carb. it was like that when my dad bought it in 1994. it has an industrial look to it and only has the two side ports for furl in let. the actual valve opening are bigger than the spacer openings below it. I will post a pic of the numbers for the carb so i can find out what it is.
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 10:38pm
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 3:52am
Carb is a Holley 4010 if I remember correctly,
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 12:23pm
huh. odd. but anyway. so is the knock sensor supposed to be on one of the heads or intake manifold?? the engine has 2 replacement heads as i have stated before and he brought the boat to a garage for them to replace the heads.

But i have been thinking. From what i have gathered the knock sensor is only used for switching the timing from "performance" mode to a more i guess economy mode. or am i completely off base?
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 12:30pm
Someone smart enough to be dangerous had his/her hands on your motor at some point. That carb is very likely automotive in nature. The knock sensor certainly does should screw into the head to work correctly but the new heads probably had larger bolt holes where that sensor would go than the sensor took and rather than find an insert they located in the intake would be my guess.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 1:06pm

On the back of each head there are two threaded holes. The upper one is too small for the threads to fit into. The lower one the threads fit in but loosely. But it will snug up against the head.

Now as for the carb. Here is another shot for ya.

Its been like this since we have owned the boat. Its a 1992 that we bought in 1994. Its had one previous owner and we bought it up in Sunapee Lake, NH. We the boats second and probably last owner. Almost sold when we acquired the Martinique but thankfully sentimental value and fun factor allowed us to keep it :)
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
N2Deep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2Deep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 3:17pm
Here is where mine is
On the back of the head

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 3:31pm
what happened to your coil pack? and should i just leave it on the intake manifold or try using the slightly large threads and try to snug it against one of the heads? also, do i really need it? from what i've heard it only allows the coil pack to switch out of "performance mode"
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
N2Deep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2Deep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 3:51pm
Mine has been converted to distributor and thus no coilpack. I don't have my knock sensor hooked up so its not really needed. Seems like a few have unhooked it along with the Temp and oil switch.
As far as leaving it - are you having a problem?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 5:40pm
Actually, the carburetor probably did come with your Supra. I was scouring the web yesterday for a picture of a secondary actuator and stumbled onto a Supra site. I guess PCM used that Edit: 4010 Holley at one point. For Supra only, and only for one or two years according to the poster:
http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?1056-vacum-secondary

You can tell that is indeed Marine (or at least a valiant conversion attempt) because of the J-tubes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 6:19pm
hmmm. interesting. i wonder what is to be gained by using the 4010 over the 4160. what would have been used for the HO Pro-boss in place of the 4010??
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 6:25pm
Well, 2010 was the last time the Supra was used as the interior is in tough shape and we acquired the Martinique which is a much more family friendly boat. So the Supra sat in our barn till this spring, now its home. But towards the end of the 2010 summer the ignition pack started to play up. when we would be cruising (at any speed) the alarm would sound and then no spark. Sometimes we would have to let it sit for 15 min before it would fire up again. And when we would be going over 3,000 rpm the spark would cut and then the engine would severely back fire through the carb. So we are going to replace all the sensors as an attempt to fix this. Now this happened to my dad back in 1995. He replaced the smaller oil switch and that fixed the problem. But we did that again and didnt help at all :( So when taking the sensors out I noticed the knock sensor on the intake manifold rather than on one of the heads.
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 6:31pm
I wouldn't spent a whole ton of money on new sensors. It sounds like you might be ripe for a Protec Retrofit Kit
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 6:38pm
nice catch on that one Brian... I stand corrected... that is a funky carb choice. I don't really know what they were going for there.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 6:44pm
We are hoping not to convert. Because when the coil pack works it works beautifully. The boat will do a power slide, be at a dead stop, and you dont even have to fully floor it, just give a good pop of the throttle and you can be 30 mph in no time! My dad has never touched the crank position sensor (where the distributor would be) and we checked the timing for the first time since my dad has owned it and it was dead on 18 degrees at 700 rpm. As for the 30 degrees at 3600 rpm, we didnt want our hands any where near the belts at that speed. Now we did NOT disconnect the knock sensor to check the timing. Plus that kit $500. Money we want to use for other things for the boat.
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 6:50pm
seems that all pro-tecs will eventually be converted. Only a matter of time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 7:07pm
yeah i guess. the hour meter stopped at 300 some hours before we bought the boat. And it has been used A LOT! its been driving decently hard but the hull and engine are still in good shape. Probably has easily over 1500+ hours on the boat. So I guess that would be decent life out of the ignition pack. Who here has converted? How hard was it to convert and does the engine still perform as good as it did?d
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 9:34pm
Nice carb actually.   I have one on my shelf, when I moved to a 4160.

Some, and me too have had a heat issue after shutoff, supposed to be hot enough to boil gas and create a vapor lock. Don't know if that was my exact problem, but changed it anyway.

Interesting thing about them, they will run with out the top.   Make sure you stop the pump. Some also claim, they give you a real seat of the pants feel of acceleration.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 12:36am
what are the main difference between the 4160's and this carb? plus what do you mean by "run with out the top"?? and "make sure you stop the pump"???
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 12:57am
When I first bought my boat it had a 4010, upon researching I found a hot rodders forum, and it is an old out dated carb, NLA.

One of the things they were raving about is the ability to remove the top plate, I think there are 8 torx screws on top, and it will run....as long as the bowls are full. Never tried it, but it is an unusual carb that I had never seen, and read alot about it. Very simple design.

Not sure why anyone would do this, but that is what I read. Seems to me though, the fuel pump would be pumping, so you would have to stop the flow or you would have a mess of fuel.

Not sure what the main differences, they are two different carbs, 4010 the way to access the bowls is to remove the top, a 4160 the bowls mount to the side.

Actually I just found it, well close, designed from the 4010, which was designed from an old autolite.

here is the new design.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 12:59am
I know the above is not marine, just didn't look long enough.

There is a bit of info out there.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 1:07am
According to my information I read awhile back, they were somewhat problematic, vapor lock and some other issues but you'd have to google it, I just cannot remember. Might have been a power valve issue, like they kept blowing out.

Yours looks lots better than mine does, it's black with corrosion and probably junk. I did rebuild mine and I'd have to say it was very easy, compared to a Quadrajet.

Ok, one thing I do remember, if you ever remove the needle and seat, (the two opposite rusty screws on top of yours, under the screws) be very careful, and have a thread chaser handy.   Mine broke, they are brass and corroded together.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 1:18am
Must be 1994 thing, that is the year of our boat, but no idea if mine was original.???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic