NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat cuts out at low RPM's

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
W.U.S.S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.U.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat cuts out at low RPM's
    Posted: June-24-2012 at 11:51pm
I have a problem with my 93 sncb. I have the 5.8. I have changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, and fuel filter. Still having problems at low RPM's and under a load, like 15-20 mph. The engine will shut off, sometimes almost completely, sometimes it will just miss and keep running.

I have had a local "mechanic" tell me to try replacing the altanator and battery. I am not sure how old the battery is, I have had the boat for 5 years and it has the same battery in it as when i purchased it. It has been dead a couple times this weekend. So i am considering replacing it. Dont think i have a problem with the altinator, but am open to options.

Other than continuing to throw parts at it, what else can I try?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2012 at 11:57pm
Do you have Protec ignition? If so, that is most likely the problem.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
W.U.S.S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.U.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 12:31am
I am not sure if I do or not. I replaced my coil with an MSD. Is that what you are talking about?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 9:57am
If you have an external coil, then you do not have Protec. What kind of MSD did you get? Is it the std oil filled type, perhaps it is laying on it's side? That combination leads to coil overheating. Check to see if your coil is getting hot.

Ben Franklin
W.U.S.S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.U.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 11:16am
Hmmm. Interesting, I never considered that. The original one was mounted on its side, so I just assumed I could do the same with the MSD. I just read the directions and it does say the coil should be upright. Is there a type of coil that can be layed down? Or do I need to try to fabricate a bracket?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 7:35pm
A good coil to use is the MSD Blaster II high vibration (epoxy filled). Summit Racing is a good source.

What happened to the original coil?   If it was not bad, just put it back in.

Ben Franklin
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 8:24pm
after it shuts, it restarts easily? or need some wild crancking?
did you check the antisyphon valve at the tank?
it idles fine? or it always shuts of?

at least you can rule out the protec! already been changed! or you have the RH engines that came on the white std nautiques
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
W.U.S.S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.U.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 11:09am
Well I think I have it figured out. My coil was bad. When I replaced it with the new coil, the diamater was a little smaller and I was having trouble getting it to fit it the original bracket. After removing it several times to ream out the hole in the mounting bracket. I somehow switched the power wire with the ground . Like a dumb a$$. After I switched them back the correct way, she runs like a top. Thanks for everyone's input. I knew I was in the right track, but just couldn't figure out why I was having so much trouble.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by W.U.S.S. W.U.S.S. wrote:

Hmmm. Interesting, I never considered that. The original one was mounted on its side, so I just assumed I could do the same with the MSD. I just read the directions and it does say the coil should be upright. Is there a type of coil that can be layed down? Or do I need to try to fabricate a bracket?

If your coil is on it's side then it is an epoxy filled coil. Like Chris eluded to, some coils are oil filled and DO NOT like being layed on it's side. End result is a short lived coil. (hence the warning decal about keeping it upright.)

If your coil goes bad and you are looking for a replacement. You need to find out if it is oil filled or epoxy filled. I'm pretty sure the MSD Chris suggested is what I have in mine as it's Epoxy filled and lucky for me Summit has a warehouse/store 5 miles down the road.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic