NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vapor lock on 5.8 HO EFI

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
slalomjunky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slalomjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vapor lock on 5.8 HO EFI
    Posted: June-21-2012 at 12:07am
I replaced both fuel pumps in my '94 ski last year after having a couple of engine stalling episodes. Seemed to fix problem, but 2 weeks ago we were out and after running for about an hour then sitting for about an hour or so in 92-95 degree air temps we started and were idleing for a few minutes then throttled up to pull up my son on the knee board and the engine sputtered and stalled just like last summer. had to weight with engine compartment open for about 5 min then started and ran great again. i felt the pumps, both very hot from engine heat. I seems like it is vapor locking, no fuel until cools a little. Any body else have this problem? I thought I had it fixed with the new pumps. Any suggestions? Please help! Kerry
Utah '94 Ski, '03 Malibu SS LXI
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 12:13am
sure its a fuel issue and not a coil issue?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slalomjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 12:37am
Not exactly sure. But it seems fuel related the way it begins to throttle up and then sputter and die. I also took off the spark arrestor last year after it happened the first time and while cranking the engine watched the fuel from injectors. Very little and very spotty comming out until cooled off then better fuel flow and engine started. Runs great other wise. No missing or hard starts. What would be best way to check coil packs? this is the distributorless ignition and throttle body injection (pro-tec) that is no longer supported by PCM. Any other ideas?
harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 1:20am
The FCC was designed to eliminate vapor lock. I am having similiar issues. I replaced the fuel filter, which was about 10 years old. The filter was very dirty...I hope it was the problem with mine stalling.    
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 3:03pm
1994 Ski Nautique may not have had a FCC. And may have had a external fuel pump ('s) set up.
Also is the fuel lines in the boat original? If so change them out to new.
If the motor was not equipped with a FCC a retro fit would help tremendously your hot soak problem along with new fuel lines.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 3:08pm
I didnt realize that any of the '94-95 TBI motors got the FCC... I thought that was a MPEFI (GT40) thing.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 3:47pm
Are there any relays associated with the fuel pumps on this setup?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slalomjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2012 at 8:21pm
I am not sure about the relay situation. I do know that when I have had the problem both fuel pumps have power and are running when I cycle the ignition. That i why I think it is a heat/fuel flow related problem. Fuel filter was replaced last year. I have not replaced fuel lines from tank. Not sure why this would have any effect since I do not have a fuel flow problem when running even at WOT. Can you tell me why replacing fuel lines would help? Thanks Kerry
84SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 11:45am
If it is vapor lock, how do you fix it?    Remove the fuel line further away from the engine? What is FCC?
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 11:59am
Let's see here 19 year old boat original fuel lines! The potential for running ethanol through them the last number of years is very high. just general age of the lines has a large potential for inner lining failure that occurs while under pull from the low pressure pump. What makes you think you have good fuel flow?
Did you change your anti-siphon valve out or even check it?
How about the pick up tube in the tank?
Just a little restriction of these two items can propagate hot soak issues.
Has a fuel pressure check been done during and after a hot soak?
Are you still utilizing winter time fuel blends?
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
84SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 12:33pm
Mr. Seal what is a hot soak?   I want to check my fuel pressure. What should the fuel pressure be?
84SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 12:37pm
I have the same problem as slalomjunky. I know its not vapor lock because I have a rubber fuel hose NOT metal going from the fuel pump to the carb.   Im thinking that my fuel pump might be going bad. I have a 1984 PCM 350. Should be the same fuel pump as a truck engine??
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 1:20pm
Hot Soak or heat soak, is the phenomenon of the engine getting hotter right after shut down, than it was while it was running. This happens, because, when the engine isn't running, no cooling water is being pumped. So, all the residual heat from the cylinder hot spots, soaks into the whole area and heats up everything.

Makes a lot of sense to me, on potential restrictions, increasing the vacuum, and therefore making it easier for the gasoline to vaporize. Never thought about that with the lines either. Good info.

I wonder, to the original poster, does running the blower constantly have any impact? Just curious, because that would get the hot "air" moving out of the engine compartment anyway.
84SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 1:24pm
What do the PVC valves do on the valve covers attached to the carb?

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 1:26pm
The PCV valves just let the crankcase vapors get sucked back into the carb for combustion rather than be released externally.
84SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 1:52pm
Just wikipedia PCV    never mind the question just answered it myself
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by 84SN2001 84SN2001 wrote:

I have the same problem as slalomjunky. I know its not vapor lock because I have a rubber fuel hose NOT metal going from the fuel pump to the carb.   Im thinking that my fuel pump might be going bad. I have a 1984 PCM 350. Should be the same fuel pump as a truck engine??

You'll need to do a pressure check on the pump. I'd say anything below about 4 PSI and a new pump is needed.

Please, do not put a automotive pump on it. It sounds like you already have other non marine items.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
84SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 1:54pm
what should the fuel PSI be on the fuel pump?   making sure the fuel pump is not going bad?
84SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 1:55pm
Pete, what is the difference between a marine fuel pump and a automotive fuel pump?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by 84SN2001 84SN2001 wrote:

Pete, what is the difference between a marine fuel pump and a automotive fuel pump?

Look for a plastic vent line from your pump back up to the carb. This is on marine pumps. It's there in case you get a ruptured diaphram in the pump. Gas will return to the carb and not get dumped in the bilge. Also, most marine pumps have a double diaphram.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 2:01pm
If you've got the 350 Chevy, this is most likely what you want:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CRU97842

Marine fuel items have provisions to take care of potential fuel leaks.
84SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2012 at 2:06pm
Roger.     thanks for the education Pete and Brian thanks for the link for me to get a new fuel pump. if the PSI is under 4PSI I'll get a new pump.      When I do check the PSI shall the engine be at high RPM or idle?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic