Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1977 Nautique Electrical/Starter Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Hayhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1977 Nautique Electrical/Starter Question
    Posted: May-29-2012 at 4:31pm
I have a 1977 Nautique with a PCM (Ford) engine. I recently replaced my original starter with an ARCO gear reduction (Reverse Turn). The instructions tell you to put the battery and starter wire on same side of slave selenoid (back of motor) then attach provided wire from selenoid (on starter) to the other side of the slave selenoid. I did this and the starter would not disengage. I pulled the battery cable and now have no power on the dash and nothing coming from starter. Everything was running fine prior to the starter replacement. Have no idea where to begin to try and fix the problem. Anyone had a similar problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 4:46pm
The PMGR starters have their own relay built in, so they should be wired like this on a retrofit (same as you described):

It sounds like your turn-on wire (yellow in the diagram) from your original solenoid to the starter is staying hot (+12V) in both the "start" and "run" key positions- is that correct? If so, then either that wire is on the wrong terminal, or you have something else on the solenoid that is keeping both sides hot when they shouldnt be.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 4:47pm
What prompted the starter change? Any chance the starter solenoid was already welded together internally?

--Undo the starter for the sake of testing.

--Reconnect everything else how it was

--On the switched side, you should only be getting voltage when the key is turned to start, if you're getting voltage all the time, you may need a new solenoid

Pictures?

Check out this thread, see if helps:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23203&PID=291780

Edit: Tim beat me to the diagram.
Hayhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 5:42pm
Thanks for the advice. The starter change was due to the original getting wet and locking up. Couldn't be rebuilt and the shop recommended the gear reduction.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic