NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PP Servo and Throttle Slack

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PP Servo and Throttle Slack
    Posted: May-25-2012 at 3:10pm
I have an older 6.4 PP setup on my 94(RPM no paddle wheel). It is hooked up mechanically, but the module and LCD screen are not plugged in as the PO was going to sell those items separately and I wanted to get everything cleaned and adjusted engine wise before I plugged "extras" back in. Issue I'm having is the throttle keeps getting loose(cord on the servo comes loose). Not a big deal as all I have to do is retighten the servo knob once or twice an outing, but a little annoying and I want to make sure this would be normal. I verified the linkage and such is hooked up correctly, and the servo knob itself spins easily clock-wise and is a considerably harder to spin counter-clockwise(loosen the cord/throttle). I'm wondering if maybe I need to have it plugged in to keep it from spinning counter clockwise or if it shouldn't spin counterclock wise regardless if its plugged in or not. On another note it seems that even when its tight it introduces a little more slack to the throttle when coming out of neutral/idle.

I was able to find a couple of threads on servos locking up, but nothing on them being loose.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 3:24pm
Without even full reading your post, I have a pretty strong idea of what's going on.

The Perfect Pass servo motor does a little start up routine, every time you start your engine. Actually, every time you turn your ignition key to the "on" position.

This start-up routine feels for slack, and automatically takes it up. If it's unplugged, it's not going to be able to do the routine.

I fought with this the first summer I had my boat. I wasn't getting enough voltage to my dash to fully support the PP. It was just beeping wildly at me all the time, so I'd always just hit the "off" button on the PP Display to get it to stop.

However, by doing this, I wasn't allowing it to finish its routine... there wouldn't have been enough voltage anyway, so I was having to manually tighten all the time as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic