NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking of buying a 1994 ski nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking of buying a 1994 ski nautique
    Posted: May-15-2012 at 5:39pm
I'm looking into buying a 1994 ski nautique that has 400 hours and everything is in great shape no dry rotting or tears in any of the seats the motor has a 280 hp rating and I know it is carbed I really don't know anything about boats but it's
Selling for 9000 and was looking here for advice on the boat and what kind of life I'm looking to get any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 5:58pm
That sounds like a pretty good price on a 94 with only 400 hours. By then, there is no wooden stringers to worry about rotting.

The only potential "Gotcha" is the Protec ignition, if that has it. But, they sell kits to convert it to a more traditional ignition with a distributor. But, you don't have to worry about that till it starts causing problems. The fact that it has a Carb and not EFI is actually a good thing for that vintage.

The wiring for the early 90s boats is less than steller, so you may find yourself adding additional grounds etc., but it's not a huge deal.

Pics?
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 6:08pm
Thanks for the quick reply I was hoping for a fairly simple boat will this boat have plenty of power to pull skiers wakeboards tubes and maybe a barefooter.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 6:14pm
If it's running well, it should have more than enough power for all of that.

FYI, you really don't need all that much power to pull a wakeboarder. Most of the power in the big wake boarding boats goes into moving all the on-board ballast and the boat itself. I've found it's very easy to give to much gas and pull the rope out of the boarder's hands. Easy does it.
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 6:24pm
That's what I was thinking also. What do you think my top end speed will come out to be. And what are some things to look for when purchasing the boat.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 6:25pm
A NWZ Ski Nautique is generally good for ~47mph with the Pro Boss (HO) 351w.

Its one of the best performing boats that CC ever made- plenty of power for just about anything you would want to do. 4 barefooters wouldnt be a problem.
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 6:30pm
Thanks for all the advice I was just wanting to get other opinions because this is my first boat purchase and I was wanting it to last me several years.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Brock42 Brock42 wrote:

...And what are some things to look for when purchasing the boat.

For that boat, with that drivetrain, at that price, the only thing that would really turn me off would be signs of heavy serious salt-water use and or abuse.

I'd check the hull condition, and look for bottom paint (a sign of salt water use). Give the engine a good looking over for signs of external rust.

Look at the prop, shaft and rudder. Check that the engine starts easily and idles well. Check that it gets up to speed without major hesitation. Check that it starts easily cold and starts easily after it's been warmed up.

Check that the swtiches and things work. But, given the era, they may not as stated above. Most of that stuff can be remedied.
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 6:39pm
Thanks for all the help guys.
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 6:48pm
No salt water use here is a link to the add.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 6:53pm
That looks pretty sweet to from the pictures shown. Cover and everything

Poaching amongst members here is pretty rare, but I'd almost tell you to take that link down. It looks like a really nice boat.
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 7:02pm
Thanks again for all the help. Y'all were a huge help in
MY decision.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 7:10pm
Still give it a good check over, but that looks like a pretty darned good deal.   Good luck!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

A NWZ Ski Nautique is generally good for ~47mph with the Pro Boss (HO) 351w.

Its one of the best performing boats that CC ever made- plenty of power for just about anything you would want to do. 4 barefooters wouldnt be a problem.

You could even pull 4 tubes with that boat.
Pete pulls tubes with a lot less hp than that.

If you decide not to pull the trigger please post the link so someone else may take a look.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

That looks pretty sweet to from the pictures shown. Cover and everything

Poaching amongst members here is pretty rare, but I'd almost tell you to take that link down. It looks like a really nice boat.

I thought the same thing. Good luck with the negotiations. If you buy it, please post pictures and tell us the story of your great find!

And - a Nautique will last you for well more than "a few years" if you care for it properly. Just look at the photos on this site!

Kevin
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Brock42 Brock42 wrote:

Thanks for all the advice I was just wanting to get other opinions because this is my first boat purchase and I was wanting it to last me several years.

Just to reinforce the others . . . A Ski Nautique will hold it's value more than other brands.

Your find sounds like a good deal. There may be some items to repair, but that is what this site is for. Everything except the tranny is owner repairable.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

You could even pull 4 tubes with that boat.
Pete pulls tubes with a lot less hp than that. .

Absolutely! The Atom with the 60HP can pull at least 3 tubes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 1:48am
Love my 94 to death, if its the 285hp engine then you def have the protec system, which I wouldn't stress one bit over. There are a ton of people with way more hours still running the protec setup and if you keep an eye out parts aren't that hard to find for it. Or if you prefer you can just ditch it for $500 and a weekend's worth of work. And of course now that I say that I'm sure my protec will crap out next week just to spite me. CC says the Protec version supposedly gets more hp, I think I saw 260 vs. 285, but I've yet to hear anyone complain about a noticeable power loss when converting back to a regular distributor.

The NWZ hull, all fiberglass stringers, 1.23 tranny and walk through windshield had me specifically looking for this year nautique.

$9k is a good deal if its in decent shape. Welcome to the family.

Buuuut I did come across this today on ebay(I've actually been keeping an eye on it on craigslist) 98 Nautique
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 10:52am
98 Nautique

Is that a platform or a bait board????
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Foot_Fungus Foot_Fungus wrote:

CC says the Protec version supposedly gets more hp, I think I saw 260 vs. 285, but I've yet to hear anyone complain about a noticeable power loss when converting back to a regular distributor.

The NWZ hull, all fiberglass stringers, 1.23 tranny and walk through windshield had me specifically looking for this year nautique.

The Protec did not add any hp, at least the ratings that PCM published did not reflect that. The non-HO version was rated anywhere between 240-260hp (most commonly 240hp or 255hp) but the different ratings never seemed to line up with the ignition change. The HO (Pro Boss) versions were rated between 285hp and 310hp.

Most people report that the boat runs much better once they swap out the Protec for a conventional distributor... but of course, the people swapping out the system are the ones having trouble with it.

FYI, not all '94's have the walk through windshield... though I believe youre correct that this was the first year it was offered (on the closed bow).
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 12:01pm
Can't wait gonna go look at it sat around lunch and if I decide to buy which I am if everything looks good will definitely post pics. What problems are the distributors causing.
N2Deep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2Deep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 3:04pm
It might be gone by Saturday - Everytime I found one for sale they were gone in a day or two.

These boats don't last on the market and get snatched up quick.
1991 SN pulled by a 2010 Tundra
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 3:18pm
He's gonna hold it for me so hopefully it will all work out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic