NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shut the front door

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
grim007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grim007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shut the front door
    Posted: May-05-2012 at 4:30pm
Being 52 years old I often find out how bull headed I've been. I never thought any other way than waxing a car, truck or boat was to be done with nothing else but good old elbow grease. Well with a bad shoulder and a boat to wax it was looking like an ugly week. The guys at work said a should use a power buffer on the boat and I scoffed at the idea. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were pure hell so on Thursday I gave up and got a buffer and just finished the boat, SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! Now I know I shouldn't tell on myself but just had to get this confession off my chest.
shaken not stirred
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 3:06am
What did you get for a buffer and pads? What do you figure it costs in pads each time you wax it with that? I'm ready to try something besides Turtle wax and elbow grease. That's what I've always done, too. Done it like that since I got my first car 25 years ago and it sucks. Now I'm thinking, "work smarter, not harder"!
'86 2001
'50 Century Imperial Sportsman
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 4:38am
So did you do rubbing compound by hand too? No thanks! I cant remember the brand but we use a two stage wax system, first stage is used with a regular dewalt variable speed polisher, final stage is by hand
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 10:13am
I have wool pads that are 25 years old & still good. You can wash them out.

The polishing is when the buffer is really needed. Once the surface is clean, it's just wax on wax off!

I recommend Collinite's wax. Very easy to use.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 10:52am
Funny how when we are were younger we heard the saying.... "Youth is wasted on the young!" and thought it was the stupidest thing we ever heard. Very profound statement and so very true! Don't feel too bad grim as I too am stubborn as a norm when it comes to doing and fixing things, but after working with some great mechanics over the last 25 years; I've become more open minded and sometimes my way isn't always the best way.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 10:57am
I was accused of that once...told him he was wrong.   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I do as well. I stick them in the washer (when the wife is at work ) on gentile and use Woolite.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I do as well. I stick them in the washer (when the wife is at work ) on gentile and use Woolite.

You guy's know it's 2012 right many newer products use foam pads now.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 2:50pm
Yes, I have one of those too - but prefer the old school stuff. Stuck in my ways!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
grim007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grim007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 10:26pm
i just started using a buffer and now i got to start using foam pads, i cant even text at five words a minute let alone use these space a age materials. the two pads i got with the buffer did the entire boat, washed them and went over the boat again and it looks great. what is the advantage of foam? do you clean them or throw them away?
shaken not stirred
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic