Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351w Fresh Paint and Chrome Valve Covers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351w Fresh Paint and Chrome Valve Covers!
    Posted: April-13-2012 at 8:11pm
I just finished my winter/spring project. My dad gave me some new valve covers for Christmas. Together we disassembled the engine and began work on the 351w "facelift". After seeing the disassembled engine and all of those parts, I was nervous about putting everything back together correctly. But now that the project is done, it wasn't too difficult.

This project took several weeks. Progress seemed really slow, mainly because we had to wait for parts to come in the mail and let the paint dry.

This project consisted of..

-Fresh paint on all engine components (old ford blue).
-Fresh paint on exhaust manifolds, engine mounts, and trans.
-Several coats of white bilgekote; bilge, stringers, and battery box.
-New chrome valve covers.
-New gaskets.
-New hoses including water, fuel, bilge, and EXHAUST.
-All new SS hose clamps.
-New transmission fluid lines.
-New belts.
-New spark plugs and wires.
-New distributor cap, points, rotor.
-New water temp. send unit.
-New oil pressure send unit.
-Polished flame arrestor.
-Untangled and reorganized the electrical wires.
-Replaced all non-ss hardware with SS.
-Replaced plastic elbow fittings on exhaust manifold with metal fittings.
-Oil change/new filter.
-Trans fluid change.

I'm sure that there are other things that I forgot to list. Here are some pics.

BEFORE:

Here are some "almost" complete project pictures. I was waiting for my new plug wires and still missing some hoses, but still felt the need to take pictures..

Official "complete" pictures will be posted after it stops raining...

Next project.. NEW CARPET!!
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 8:13pm
Dang! Dats purdy!
Chicomew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chicomew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 8:16pm
I agree, gives me something to shoot for. Great job.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 8:53pm
I think that's worth about 30hp! NICE !!!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 9:26pm
Very nice! I like it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 10:35pm
It stopped raining so I was able to snap a few "Finished" pics..

Thanks for the comments!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 10:40pm
Nice and clean!

FYI, thats a 302, not a 351w. (The 351w was never offered in the 1st gen Ski Tique).
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 11:47pm
Its my understanding that this Tique was special ordered with a 351w from the factory by the original owner. I didn't post to debate what engine I have.

I'm proud of this project and just want to show the work that I've done.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 11:48pm
Looks pretty good man.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 12:53am
WOW a custom ordered tique with a 351W. i bet it hauls the mail.
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 1:36am
Very nice job Alex.

But I will have to say that the intake manifold on the engine in the photos, clearly belongs to a 302.
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 1:45am
The valve covers say 351 high performance. where did you get them.
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 1:53am
Originally posted by sweet77 sweet77 wrote:

The valve covers say 351 high performance. where did you get them.

Here

sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 2:19am
nice, how do you tell the difference between intakes of a 302 and a 351. just curious??
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 11:50am
Very nice job, Looks awesome.

Did anyone notice the water hose routing? Looks like it comes out of the RWP then goes back around to the trans cooler then back under the motor and up to the thermostat housing. Is that correct for this year? that should work but it seems like an aweful lot of hose.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 12:44pm
Alan,
I did notice that????

Alex,
I don't see any overflow tube in case of a fuel pump diaphragm rupture back up to the carb. It was on the original. Hopefully you just haven't gotten around to installing it yet and you did use a marine pump rather than an automotive. Please, this is important - tell us about it.

EDIT:
Alex,
I see the overflow tube now. It's pretty hidden - glad to see it on the engine!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 1:34pm
Sweet 302/351, you would be able to tell by head bolt size, one of the only physical ways to tell, except for dis-assembling and measureing the bores...there may be other ways, but this is the way that I can tell...i believe the 302 will be a 5/8ths socket and the 35i will be a 3/4 socket   7/16"ths bolt or 1/2" bolt   
"the things you own will start to own you"
Rev Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rev Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 1:45pm
Very nice Alex! You have a good eye for detail!

"351" is cast on the top of the head (under the valve covers), with ford factory heads, that's one way to find out.

The engine looks great So many people don't take the time to do it right, those 15 minute jobs with over spray on the old hoses, in the bilge, the wires, and on the stringers...YUCK!
Cheers,
Rev Bob

"if it's gonna happen, it'll happen out there!"
~~~
My Dad always said; "Everything on your boat is either broken or about to be....and you just don't know about it yet".
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 3:34pm
Nice job. Are you running straight exhaust? That has to sound great...
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Did anyone notice the water hose routing? Looks like it comes out of the RWP then goes back around to the trans cooler then back under the motor and up to the thermostat housing. Is that correct for this year? that should work but it seems like an aweful lot of hose.

Yes, that is how the water hoses are routed. When I routed the hose I just copied the same routing. Its been routed that way ever since I've had it, and so far it's worked fine.

Is there a better way to route the hose? Possibly from the pickup through the trans cooler to the raw water pump to the thermostat housing?
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by snipe snipe wrote:

Are you running straight exhaust? That has to sound great...

Straight exhaust with two hose clamps on each of the through hull fittings. Engine sounds awesome!
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

...you did use a marine pump rather than an automotive. Please, this is important - tell us about it.

I just cleaned up the same fuel pump that was on the engine.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Sweet 302/351, you would be able to tell by head bolt size, one of the only physical ways to tell, except for dis-assembling and measureing the bores...there may be other ways, but this is the way that I can tell...i believe the 302 will be a 5/8ths socket and the 35i will be a 3/4 socket   7/16"ths bolt or 1/2" bolt   

That's your inner chevy talking Eric...

The bores on 302 and 351 are the same.
So one would need to measure the stroke.

Yes, a head bolt would clinch it.

deck height and width are measurable externally.

One snapshot of where the distributor mates the block would also clinch it.
If its fairly even with the valley, its a 302, if its about 3/4" below the valley, its a 351.

Its also common to find 351 heads on the marine 302's, so anything written under the valve cover is suspect.

My eye also says 302.

Even the rear shot says 302. see how the intake is even with the bellhousing. It would be raised on a 351. This says the deck height is a 221/260/289/302 block.

A very good looking 302, well done
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Alex47 Alex47 wrote:

...you did use a marine pump rather than an automotive. Please, this is important - tell us about it.

Yes, the newer marine pumps look just like that.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Originally posted by Alex47 Alex47 wrote:

Yes, the newer marine pumps look just like that.

I edited my initial post about 15 minuets after making the first one. I spotted the overflow tube!!   

EDIT:
Alex,
I see the overflow tube now. It's pretty hidden - glad to see it on the engine!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 3:23pm
I noticed the water hose's also. I also noticed that he has no strainer basket/filter(hence the way its plumbed)that could cause problems.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 3:29pm
Paul,
I don't have strainers on ANY of my boats and have NEVER had a problem. A lot depends on the water you run in!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:07am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Good call Alan- I had to look again to see what you were talking about. PCM plumbed it like this:

intake grate --> tranny cooler --> RWP --> thermostat housing

They routed the first section of hose under the tranny and then up and over to the top of the cooler. Then a straight shot from the cooler to the RWP (lower side). Then a short hose from the top of the RWP to the 'stat housing. Pretty clean way to do it.

Is the screw on the pump facing out? I cant tell for sure. If so, then the pump will need to be flipped in order for it to push water into the engine with its current plumbing. Im assuming its a RH engine.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:30am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

One snapshot of where the distributor mates the block would also clinch it.
If its fairly even with the valley, its a 302, if its about 3/4" below the valley, its a 351.

Agreed, doesnt look my 351. My distributor is much lower than that one, the top of the cap is much lower in comparison to the carb on mine.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 11:34am
My Chevy/OMC is plumbed through the pump first, then back through the trans then back up front to the thermostat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic