Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone into bicycles and bicycle racing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone into bicycles and bicycle racing?
    Posted: March-30-2012 at 9:16pm
My daughters longtime boyfriend/partner publishes an online magazine dedicated to bicycle culture. If you have an interest in bicycles/racing/art I think you will enjoy the magazine. Bicycles are a bit of engineering magic, and can be quite beautiful.
http://tenspeedhero.com/
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 9:26pm
and stress, Wilbur and Oliver were bicycle makers, some steal the thunder and on their license plates say "first in flight" both boys from Dayton Ohio, so actually Ohio invented flight   lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 5:12pm
Sure Eric , I'll bite. And Ohio also invented moon walking right, as Neil Armstrong IS/WAS from Ohio? Well wrong again, as everyone knows it was Michael Jackson.   

Also I read somewhere, Ripley's I believe, where it said that the Wright brothers were actually born in NC, but graciously moved to Ohio to help them finally grasp the concept of bicyle riding. Then they drew some little sketches of bicycles with wings in OH, but later "invented" flight, which must include actually lifting off the ground, in NC.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 5:16pm
I'll check it out. I've been very actively cruising craigslist for a good used bicycle. I figured they'd be a dime a dozen, but it seems like prices on good, name brand, ones have spiked a bit, or at least held value.

The fact that I'm looking for 60cm or above makes it a little more challenging as those sizes are rarer.

I'm thinking it might theoretically be possible to make my commute once in a while by bike. It's pretty long, but there is a ready made bike trail that would cover most of it. It's just getting to the start of the trail, and leaving from the end of the trail that could be a bit treacherous.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 5:44pm
I used to ride the 19 mile round trip to work and back every day it was fair weather. It took about the same time as driving in traffic, about 25 minutes each way. Itkept me young and thin. I was a truck driver back then so it didn't matter if I arrived sweaty. I sweated enough once I got there kicking freight on my peddle run.

JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 11:46am
I ride a fair amount. Last year I put in around 75 to 125 miles a week during the spring through fall. This year I plan on riding my first century in October. I'll check out the site also.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 12:17pm
I'll czech it out

Yeah, i ride too. about 1500 a year.
And mountain bike. and downhill

Haha, great parody of bike culture...
mofo bike

"Every day i ride the tour de fawk you!" haha
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 12:23pm
You guys are pretty avid cyclists! I wish I could get it back. I will try hard this summer. After watching a lot of the videos I am not surprised there are some cyclists in the group. There are a lot of great athletes on the water lurking here. I am not one.

scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 1:15pm
I ride to work pretty often when the weather cooperates. I really hate riding in the rain though, so if it looks like rain, I'll drive and then, of course, it doesn't rain. I put gas in my Tahoe this morning for the first time in over two weeks.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 1:24pm
You live pretty close to me Scott. Do you ever ride the Prairie Path/ Fox River trail system? It's a good ride. They have been improving it over the past 10 years or so.

scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 2:12pm
When I was a kid, I used to ride the Fox River trail all the time. I work in Naperville, and every now and then I'll go for a ride during lunch and take the Prarie Path to the Fox River Trail down to Batavia and back. Out and around Fermi Lab and back is another good lunchtime ride.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 2:36pm
What do you guys think would be a reasonable distance to commute by bike?

My commute would be about 25 miles each way, but about 18 of those miles would be on a nice trail, which would make it a little easier.

I'm trying to engineer away, where I bring my bike into work in the car on one day, and then ride it home that day or the next day. The only missing piece of the puzzle is getting a ride into work the morning I ride my bike home in the afternoon.

I suppose I could ride my bike in the next morning to get the car, but I think back to back rides could be tough until I increase my conditioning. I do have a locker room at work though, which helps.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 3:00pm
That's an epic commute to do on a regular basis. You must be in great shape to consider it. Try some 25 mile rides for fun first. It is much harder after a day of work, and with some rain and a stiff headwind thrown in, it can really build character. Don't go over your head or it will be a chore, not a pleasure. I would not try a 50 mile commute except to show I can do it, and then, probably only a few times.
I do a 58 mile loop on a semi regular basis, with some significant health handicaps, but I am not dependent on being anywhere at any particular time. Mrs. B also provides sag wagon support should I have a mechanical, physical, or mental breakdown on the road.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 3:27pm
It's probably more my naivete that has me considering it. But, I figured if I just rode the bike home, on a nice Friday, then I'd have the next day to kind of recover. It's the logistics of a one way ride I'm kind of stuck on. If I had any co-workers that lived near me, it would be easy to catch a ride in to work, so I could ride the bike home.
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 4:35pm
Have often wondered if any of the CCFans ride.

I ride regularly, 100+ miles per week. Rode almost 3000 last year (including my first century).

Here's my other Nautique......
Doug
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 4:38pm
Wow, nice bike Doug. I know Keith is a bike rider as well, although I think mountain biking. He posted a video on his CCF Youtube account.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 4:44pm
I (we ride)

Cannondale R1000 tandem - 24 speed - Aerospoke rims
running stoker crank shorteners so the kids can ride
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 5:02pm
We ride .... in the woods

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 5:06pm
I agree that building bikes, especially mt. bikes, sure is fun engineering. Replacing warn out parts, upgrading components, shock maintenance, etc. is a lot of fun.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

What do you guys think would be a reasonable distance to commute by bike?

My commute would be about 25 miles each way, but about 18 of those miles would be on a nice trail, which would make it a little easier.

A 25 mile commute is not too bad if you are only doing it one direction and you don't have to get home in a hurry. Another option is to drive half-way and ride your bike the other half.

As the sun comes up earlier, I start adding miles to my morning commute.
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 5:57pm
Trek Madone 5.2

Family hauler ...
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 6:17pm
Nice bike and that family hauler is one cool shot!
Doug
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 2:33pm
What do you guys think of this for an entry level commuter, road bike:
Lemond Tourmalet for $475
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 5:52pm
I think that is a good entry level commuter bike, and it looks like the price is pretty reasonable compared to similar Tourmalets that are for sale.

One thing I noticed is that the bike has a triple crank but his description refers to a double.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2012 at 5:56pm
Thanks Scott, I'm going to email the owner. I like the color and the lines of it, but I figured I should ask rather than make a purchase just on looks.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 1:58am
That LeMond appears to have a very large frame. Are you very tall?

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 2:00am
Originally posted by scottb scottb wrote:

Trek Madone 5.2

Family hauler ...

I love the Madone. I am riding an older 5000 right now.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 2:07am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

That LeMond appears to have a very large frame. Are you very tall?

I'm about 6'3", although I am a little concerned about the standover height. I've noticed a lot of the newer ones kind of curve down a bit, that one is just straight horizontal. I'll definitely have to make sure I have the proper clearance   
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 2:18am
I am 6'0" and ride a 56cm frame. That looks like at least a 62cm. The height is one thing, but the length of the top tube (reach) goes up proportionally with the size of the frame. You can get a short stem to make up for some of it if it is too long, but don't go too big.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 8:34am
Reid, we just needed your HOT air in Kitty Hawk for lift
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic