Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone into bicycles and bicycle racing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I am 6'0" and ride a 56cm frame. That looks like at least a 62cm. The height is one thing, but the length of the top tube (reach) goes up proportionally with the size of the frame. You can get a short stem to make up for some of it if it is too long, but don't go too big.

Good advice. The seller did warn me on the size of it.

Part of me is wondering if I should go brand new and get the exact right fit. A local shop is a Jamis dealer, and the guy that owns it seems pretty good. I was looking at something like this:
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/satellite/12_satellitesport_spec.html
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 1:18pm
At 25.25 pounds that bike is no lightweight!
My old 04 Trek 5000 is not state of the art, but it still weighs only 18 pounds. ikes like it can be had used pretty cheap, and it comes with Shimano Ultegra components, a big step from the components on that bike. It is carbon fibre so that is part of the weight savings. The 5000 listed for about $2,200 new, but I see them on eBay for around $700 frequently. There are lots of other good makes as well, I am not married to Trek.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 1:47pm
I don't think that a 62cm frame will necessarily be too big for someone who is 6'3". You will just have to try it out. I'm 6'0", and I have always been comfortable with a 58cm frame.

You can always go to a bike shop and take a few bikes for test rides. Pick a shop that you like before you pick the bike.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 4:23pm
Just got back into riding again after a 5 month hiatus from a lower back injury. First ride back Sunday was 40 miles at 19mph avg, felt great!
Typically will put in 100-120/week.

My steed:

My old one:

'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 5:10pm
Very nice!

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 5:26pm
Definitely impressive. You guys aren't messing around.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 12:48am
Here is a pretty typical Sunday in my back yard. I am lucky to host the Half Acre Beer professional racing team from time to time. This is after a 90 mile training ride, followed by the usual barbeque and beer (Half Acre of course). I have hosted the Ten Speed Hero racing team a couple of times this year as well. Notice the podium fashioned from buckets and anything else we could find around the garage. We also had the podium girls and special jerseys for the stages of the training ride.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 5:51pm
So, I wound up buying the bike I linked too above. I've taken it on a handful of rides after work and last Saturday. The frame size seems to be a good fit. I can't believe how much lighter and faster shifting it is compared to my old bike.

Of course, now the bug to get gear to enhance the experience has already kicked in.

Two things. One, the seat, for my old bike I had bought one of those gel filled and man part relief channeled Serfas seats. I don't have my old one, but was going to buy a new one. The seat the bike came with is very hard. A friend who is an avid bike commuter says I'll eventually get accustomed to that, but his bike is little more commute friendly, so I'm not sure he fully understands the situation. So far, I haven't gotten used to it. Should I spring for the channeled deal again for $55 or will I eventuually become accustomed to the stock?

Also, clipless peddles: (still getting used to the fact that you clip-in to clip-less peddles, oh well). The PO threw in peddles with "cages" and they're ok but a little annoying to start from a stop in because I have to flip them around into position each time. I've done some research, and it seems like the SPD Mountain Bike style might be better for commuting, since you can walk around in them.

I also saw in a magazine article that the Look Keo "Easy" pedal might be a good choice for beginners, but I'm gathering you can't walk around in the compatible shoes. Any thoughts?
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 6:19pm
I was never a big fan of clipless pedals until I tried a set of Speedplay Frogs. easy in and out and cleats can go on sandals, traditional bike shoes or MB hiking type shoes so you can walk around easily and still have the benefits of clipless.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

I was never a big fan of clipless pedals until I tried a set of Speedplay Frogs. easy in and out and cleats can go on sandals, traditional bike shoes or MB hiking type shoes so you can walk around easily and still have the benefits of clipless.

Oh, cool. I should look into those as well. Just did some quick research, and it seems like they should be really easy to use.
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 7:20pm
+1 for Speedplay(X2 for road, track and Frogs for MTB)
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 4:46pm
If you don't mind spending the money, go ahead a get a new saddle. If you have a shop nearby w/a lot of choices, see if they will let you try out a few.

You will have to flip the typical road bike clipless pedals, too, but they will hang rear side down, so they are easier to get into than cages.

cages = clips

Lots of places online to get gear, but this is one I really like.
PricePoint
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic