Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2006 196 SE Value?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
mbrannan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbrannan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2006 196 SE Value?
    Posted: March-22-2012 at 10:31am
Friends,
Considering buying a 2006 196 SE. 650 hours. Club boat. Perfect pass. No radio. Good condition. Good maintenance records. All and all, a very nice boat. 330 PCM, heater, single axle trailer, Bimi, cover, etc.

NADA blue book on 2006 196-se average retail is $25,315.

Would love to get other's opinion on value of this boat.
Thanks in advance.
mbrannan
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 1:38pm
Would guess new on a good buy that boat was 38-40k.
SE is the basic package, keyed ignition, no frills. Average hours for that boat would be around 300.

As a buyer 18k would make me happy, as a seller suppose I would list it at 25k and see what happens.

My guess, we will see what others think

Good Luck
mbrannan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbrannan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 2:23pm
Yes, SE is the no frills version. No keyless ignition, rocker switch dash board. No radio. List price on the boat new was $49K.

I did a lot of research on buying a 2000 LE Nautique. These were going for about $18K with all the goodies and in good shape.

Really appreciate the comments.
mbrannan
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 2:28pm
I think I'd tend to prefer the no frills version. I like the idea of an actual key, and the less electronic gizmos on a boat the better.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I think I'd tend to prefer the no frills version. I like the idea of an actual key, and the less electronic gizmos on a boat the better.

Same here. I don't see them all too often but the basic plain jane wouldn't be a terrible way to go. Especially the way we use our boats here personally and with our show ski team. 18k seems a little low though, for a 2006 doesn't it? I would not be afraid of 600hrs on a newer boat like that.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 5:09pm
25K is way too much. I'm with CQ at 18K max. Not having Zero Off (although PP has released a ZO simulator module) absolutely kills the only audience you have to buy that boat, which are hard core slalom skiers who never trick ski. So all that's left are hard core slalom skiers that don't compete at all and want a somewhat newer boat. There was a 100% mint, ridiculously low-hour 2006 for sale at a dealer I know that sat for at least a year at 25k, and that was about three years ago. It's a buyer's market for any pre-Zero Off TSC3 or TSC2 boat because they just don't bring enough to the table for their already limited audience. Personally I'd go for an 07+ with Zero Off so that you can at least sell it down the line.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

mbrannan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbrannan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 5:51pm
Thanks. BTW, that is the reason the people want to sell. They're needing a zero off boat so practice lines up with tournament experience.
mbrannan
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 5:54pm
Wow, 18 seems low

Don't bother with NADA figures
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Wow, 18 seems low

Actually that does seem pretty damned low. 20-22 is probably more realistic. The main point I was harping on is you've got a hull that's very single-event focused without the speed control that the single event uses exclusively.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 7:50pm
Let's see some pics.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
mbrannan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbrannan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 8:30pm
Well, not smart enough to figure a way to post in forum. But here are a few links to pics in my drop box.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53210359/101_0135.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53210359/101_0130.JPG
mbrannan
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 8:32pm
That puppy is CLEAN, if you end up asking 18k I'll raise the money around town to buy it.

Partial to those colors, my dad previously owned a 90 red and black for a little more than 20 years.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 1:34pm
Link 1

Link 2

That really is a nice boat.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 2:27pm
curious, why do you guys say that this is a one event boat? Would this boat not pulled 3 event tourneys in its day? Not challenging, just don't understand
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 4:25pm
Great looking boat...aside from the Bimini top.

A Bimini top or tower on a ski boat is like fender portholes on a PT Cruiser. It just doesn't make sense.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

A Bimini top or tower on a ski boat is like fender portholes on a PT Cruiser. It just doesn't make sense.

Thoroughly disagree with this. Our sport came with a tower bimini and man that thing is nice when you're pulling skiers for 6 hrs on a sunny Saturday.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 4:38pm
I like the bimini as well. I'm used to seeing those sort of "floating overhead" biminis on that style of boat. Not sure if it's OEM but looks like it could be. The Sunbrella material looks like it could be freshened up, but that's a pretty minor issue.
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 8:45pm
Reasonable asking price for a clean low hr boat-BUT- when cash in hand appears in person $$$$$ talks,show me the money and you will walk away with a great deal-no matter what the asking price
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 3:32am
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Thoroughly disagree with this. Our sport came with a tower bimini and man that thing is nice when you're pulling skiers for 6 hrs on a sunny Saturday.

I should have been more clear. I was only speaking from a looks perspective.

No doubt they are functional...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 6:19pm
You guys saying that $18k is reasonable better do your homework. Pricing will always vary a bit by region (CA in particular seems to devalue closed bows), but you'll likely pay more than that for a clean TSC2 ('02-05). Late model 196 inventory is pretty low right now, and prices are pretty strong. Normally I agree that NADA is terribly inaccurate, but in this particular instance, Id say it is actually pretty close. $25k seems consistent with the other clean TSC3 SE's that Ive seen lately. Most TSC3's with the Limited package and Zero off are priced north of $30k.
mbrannan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbrannan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 7:05pm
Thanks TRBenj. I was thinking something in the $24K - $25K range was pretty fair.

Something in your post caught my attention. I thought the 2006's did not have the fly by wire throttle and therefore could not be converted to zero off. Someone suggested that this might hold the price down on this boat. Plus, it has relatively high hours.

You're right about supply. Last fall there were at least 10 boats like this out there. Now there is not many. I believe tough economy and the staggering prices for new boats are keeping things pretty busy in the used market.
mbrannan
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You guys saying that $18k is reasonable better do your homework. Pricing will always vary a bit by region (CA in particular seems to devalue closed bows), but you'll likely pay more than that for a clean TSC2 ('02-05). Late model 196 inventory is pretty low right now, and prices are pretty strong. Normally I agree that NADA is terribly inaccurate, but in this particular instance, Id say it is actually pretty close. $25k seems consistent with the other clean TSC3 SE's that Ive seen lately. Most TSC3's with the Limited package and Zero off are priced north of $30k.

Meh, disagree somewhat.

2006 is a tough year to command a premium for because just 1 model year later you get ZO.

CB Comp boat with a rough trick wake, without ZO has a really limited audience in what is already a buyer's market. The market for that boat is basically people who want a newer Nautique, don't trick, and don't compete. May as well get a TSC1 which has an awesome trick wake, comparatively, and put 5K+ in your pocket.

That said, that boat looks awesome and will be a fit for somebody.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 8:56pm
Ahh, I was thinking throttle by wire was a '06 change. So maybe that warrants another small deduction, as it wont appeal as much to the tournament slalom crowd.

I dont understand the trick wake comment- I thought the gate improved the wake as compared to the TSC2?

Id still be interested to see someone provide links to those $18-23k 2006's!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 12:08am
Well, it's worth what someone will pay for it. Trying to sell a late model tourney boat without ZO is like selling an Escalade during a gas crisis. It's a wonderful thing, but nobody wants it. Our club's 08 RLXi with PP was impossible to sell- 3 years in a row. Never had a problem selling a boat every year before that, and after- our '11 with ZO went right away.

As for the trick wake- that 2006 I last referenced was originally purchased for a pro trick skier who needed to train behind it because the trick wake was so different from the other boats. Not an uncommon practice in the TSC3/TSC2 years. Make no mistake that the TSC2 and TSC3 trick wakes were/are a major problem. I may blow at trick skiing but I certainly felt that even the 200 trick wake was more turbulent than my TSC1, and it was supposed to be a major improvement over the TSC3/TSC2.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 12:56am
I don't know, the only 196 anything, anywhere near me is is this nice, but high priced 2002 for $20,750. Seems like they're pretty rare nowadays, and people will use them for all around family tow boats.
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 1:16am
Agreed. That boat looks like a gem. If it is mechanically well maintained, I'd say it goes for mid 20s without much effort. There are some people out there that don't need zero off, but want a well maintained, closed bow ski boat. Lots of promo boats were SE packages with PP added on. Keys are great and tend to work. A good closed bow ski boat is less common than you might think. The last year I bothered to check, I think MC made 8 190s (that was around 2006). How many Malibu closed bows are out there. There's Centurian's new boat, but that still commands a heftier price. As far as used closed bows go, CC practically has the market cornered. The closed bow ski boat is a limited market for sure. But it is a limited commodity as well.

The shortline, diehard, tournament types might not touch it, but they're not the only ones out there looking. There are enough who are satisfied with course times within 0.002 or don't worry about it at all to allow someone with a 6 year old boat to get a good value for it.

Caveat: I could be wrong, but I wouldn't have spent this much time posting this if I though I was wrong. ;)
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I don't know, the only 196 anything, anywhere near me is is this nice, but high priced 2002 for $20,750. Seems like they're pretty rare nowadays, and people will use them for all around family tow boats.

I'm not so sure that boat is priced incorrectly. 2 people I know sold '03 196's last year (including my father) and both were in the $20-21k price range. $18-22k or so for a clean TSC2 sounds about right, at least in the northeast. Add a few bucks for a newer boat with the TSC3/hydrogate and $25k seems appropriate for an '06. Love the red/gray color combo, by the way- there was a 196 in those colors at the Boston boat show around that time ('06-07) and it was really sharp looking.

Agree with ETS, by the way.
mbrannan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbrannan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 12:53pm
Thanks for the sales data, exactly what I'm looking for. So, is the 2006 the TSC2 hull? Or the TSC3 hull? My Nautique experience is behind a 2002, which I think is a TSC2 hull? Works fine for me, but I'm also the guy who is endlessly banging my head against the 28-off-not-consistent-wall. So, not to picky.

BTW, going to look at boat this weekend, so will keep everyone posted.
mbrannan
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 12:57pm
'06 was the debut of the TSC3. The change was pretty minimal, besides the addition of the hydrogate- which helped the trick wake and top end speed. It will slalom the same as a TSC2.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 1:02pm
Not really my area of expertise, but I tend to agree with Brian and Doug more than Joel. I don't think the prime demographic buying new or used ski boats are hard core competitors. I bet a much bigger proportion of the buyers are recreational skiers or maybe weekend warrior course skiers, both of which would be served very well by this boat. Relatively speaking, I would guess it would have as big an audience, if not bigger, as the newer ZO boats. Look at it this way, how many of the wakeboarders out there who are dropping tons of dough on high end wake boats are competitors? I bet not too many.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic