Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Convice me, SNOB vs. Brendella

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
cojab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cojab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Convice me, SNOB vs. Brendella
    Posted: March-14-2012 at 5:42pm
Hey guys, new here and not looking to start an argument, just looking for facts. I've owned a couple of jet boats and driven a couple of I/O's but never owned or operated an inboard. I am ready to get my next boat now and have always wanted an inboard.
Anyways, I am currently looking at a 1993 Sport Nautique 600hrs, open bow, 310 hp motor, ACME prop, very clean, not much else comes with it including no trailer which is a big downer for me. 10k asking price. I really like this boat but the trailer issue is killing me. I am comparing it to a 93 Brendella which is just as clean, 700 hrs, propass, and has tandem axle trailer, covers, bimini top etc. 10k asking price also.
I fully expect some Correct Craft bias here, but can you guys tell me what's the pro's and cons between them. I heard the hull design on the Brendella is very low and it wants to submarine a bit. Is this true with the Sport Nautique Im looking at also?
I will be using this for skiing, kneeboarding, and maybe some wakeboarding/surfing and just general lake cruising.
Thanks.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 5:52pm
I don't think I've seen an OB Brendella so that's one major plus to the sport if you have a family.

They're two completely different boats IMHO. Sport will have a better fit and finnish and is a larger boat with the walk thru windshield and open bow. This is all correct craft bias, but for resale's sake I'd try and find a trailer and go with the open boat Correct Craft any day.

Are you sure on the 310hp?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 6:11pm
Yea I'm onboard with Chris. Not sure I've seen an OB Brendella and 310hp seems fishy for a 93.

I can't say anything bad for Brendella as I have had zero experience with them. They do look kinda cool on occasion though. That being said, our 2000 Sport Nautique is one of my favorite boats of all time. Can't believe how versatile it is.

Just googled some Brendella's...it does appear some of the ski brendellas's were OB in 93. Very interesting. To me, they seem Malibu-esque (cheap/uncomfortable to hang out in all day, etc) Again, this is all pretty bias and my opinion.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
cojab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cojab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 6:31pm
I'll do more checking on the engine and hp rating. I remember the guy saying it was an upgraded engine. (Maybe the GT 40 Ive been reading about?)
You mention the versatility of the Sport. I like the sound of that. What are you referring to, the wake, the handling, or what?? My wife likes to ski, I like to kneeboard and who knows what the kids will end up wanting to do so I would love some versatility in the boat.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 6:36pm
My family went from a 1990 Ski Nautique closed bow to a 2000 Sport Nautique with the Flight Control tower.

The sport is a bigger boat, it handles a little less sports car like than the 90 ski but compared to the boats you've had experience with you'd swear you're driving something that's on rails. The sport has storage under the open bow cusions, under the observer seat, a HUGE trunk, and a ski locker between the driver and passenger seat. The sport hull is basically a stretched NWZ (no wake zone era) hull that was standard on all Ski Nautiques from 1990-1996. This hull IMO is a superb all around style. Has a very flat ski wake at speed, the wakeboard/kneeboard wake is very smooth/rampy/clean, it'll go 42-45 capable of barefooting very comfortably. I throw 4-7 friends in the thing and we aren't cramped.

I don't think the GT-40 310hp was std in 93 unless they dropped one in it after the factory. Correct me if I'm wrong other CCFAN fellas...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 6:38pm
As a previous Procraft Fish-n-Ski boat owner with a 150 Mariner on it (yes I know it's a bass boat wannabe) I'd say go with the inboard sorely on the basis that you are wanting to cover all watersport aspects. My Procraft could do all three but it wasn't great at all of them and it sucked fuel. It was only a V6 but a trip to the lake for wakeboard runs and kneeboard runs depleted the 25 gallon tank. When I upgraded to the Correct Craft inboard with the 351, it sipped fuel as compared to the Procraft. I'd have 1/2 tank or more towing it home doing the exact same thing; wake and kneeboarding and that included added 600lbs of fat sacs.

Granted a Procraft is not a designated skiboat type hull but my outboard experience says they are good for going fast,gettin you to the next fishing hole, or barefooting/ pulling ski teams not for what you intend to do with it.

If you drive an inboard or even ski behind one you won't even want to think about an outboard. Your wife will appreciate the handling as she is only turning a rudder, not the entire motor. In my experience women seem to be more intimidated and afraid driving an outboard as compared to an inboard. Having a wife who likes to drive the boat is a HUGE plus especially when it's your turn to hit the water. Another upside is the kids can drive easily too.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 6:46pm
My guess is this is the brendella

I agree the fit finish will be the biggest difference between the two. Also after looking at some pictures of the brendella it does ride very bow low. Looks like any wave over 12 inches is coming in if you are not under power.

The brendella wont have as good of resale but thats why its cheaper to buy than the sport. Just depends what you can afford I suppose. I would get the sport if you can afford but if the 10K is your max the brendella might be worth looking at.

Also my guess would be that engine would be 285 mot 310 right?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 6:46pm
A '93 wouldnt have the multiport EFI GT40 engine... it didnt debut until 1995. If the '93 has the HO engine, its a 285hp carbureted motor. The only detractor for that combo is the Protec ignition, which cannot be repaired easily if it fails (you'd be looking at an ignition replacement at $400-500 instead). Otherwise, its a great running and performing engine- barely a tick off the performance of the GT40, as they essentially share the same longblock.

I have no experience with Brendella whatsoever. You will also probably find it difficult to get a totally unbiased opinion here. Correct Craft owners, and CCFan members in particular, are more passionate about their boats than most people. On average, theyre also more knowledgable about how these boats are put together. Other brands may ski great, but I'd rather drive a Correct Craft any day- and I wouldnt own anything else.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 6:48pm
Guys, I think that Brendella will have the same motor as the sport. They all had Ford PCM's in them if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: I do see he says the Bren is EFI. Maybe he's referring to TBI?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 6:51pm
right says fuel injected not MPFI so thats probably TBI. Unless brendella had some early mover advantage on the PCM products (doubt it) or if it has been replaced but I figure if that were true the owner would be mentioning it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 6:57pm
The TBI PCM debuted in 1994, at least for Correct Craft. Its possible PCM offered it to other brands first... though it would be a little surprising if that were the case.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The TBI PCM debuted in 1994, at least for Correct Craft. Its possible PCM offered it to other brands first... though it would be a little surprising if that were the case.

Throwing wrenches in our theory Tim!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 7:08pm
MC had EFI in 1994. So its possible. Not that I would really list that as an advantage or worth any more HP. The guy probably googled HO fuel injected PCM and came up with the 310 for the MPFI version.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 7:16pm
MC actually had EFI in '93... including the multiport LT1. It was a rare option though... you dont see it much beyond the 25th Limited models (which got it standard). Thats Indmar though.

CC had been using PCM exclusively for ~10 years at that point, so I wouldnt expect that other manufacturers were getting access to their "latest and greatest" before CC... so unless CC saw the TBI motor as risky, and purposely chose to wait a year, my guess is that they would have gotten it as soon as it was available.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 7:34pm
The hats worn by Brendalla owners would be enough to steer me towards the Sport Nautique:
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 7:37pm
[QUOTE=cojab] but can you guys tell me what's the pro's and cons between them. QUOTE]

To get yourself a balanced opinion,you could go to Brendellafan and ask them. Oh wait-- there isn't one Seriously tho one of the side benefits is to be able to get on here and find help. Granted they help you here with any inboard but sooner than later you'll want to be in a CC.You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer group of people.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 8:01pm
- 1993 was the first year of 100% composite construction(stringers) for nautiques... Check on the Brendella, if they are wood, its likely a several thousand dollar repair if you have the stringers done professionally. Consensus here is that its about 2k in materials to do it yourself,   and a couple hundred hours of labor.   This aspect alone would make the Nautique worth more up front to me.   Just an observation with the design...    with the Brendella, it appears that the nose slopes towards the water line a good deal.   It is VERY easy to take a roller over the bow of my nautique, and it doesnt have the dipped nose, I would be more inclined to go with the sport as it will probably keep the water out when you encounter your first wake board boat wake. Adjusting driving style is part of the game when you switch from IO or outboard to inboard, but keeping your passengers dry might keep the family from disliking the new boat    
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

- 1993 was the first year of 100% composite construction(stringers) for nautiques...

This is true for the Ski Nautique and Sport Nautique... but may or may not be accurate for the '93-94 Excel/BFN. Not really relevant to this conversation, but just FYI!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 8:36pm
Test drive the 2 and it you don't see why the CC is better then just get the ski boat ith a tandem trailer.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 9:23pm
10K for a 93?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
cojab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cojab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 11:50pm
Thanks for the replies and keep them coming. Just so you know, I'm definitly leaning towards the Sport. Ive always heard great things about them and I really like the quality aspect of them. I knew about the composite stringers from previous research and that is why Im not really even looking at '92 and newer.
Never said anything about either of them being FI. (that I know of) I'm assuming now that the SN is carbeurated but right now Im talking with the mother of the original person I spoke with about it and she knows nothing about the mechanics of it.
I did talk to her again today and she wants to split the cost of a new trailer with me but that means the price goes up to about 12k. She says it books at 11,900 without trailer but thats not the figures Im coming up with. I need to see what extras she's adding onto the NADA.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 11:57pm
NADA bites for boats... IMHO
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 12:02am
I would hold out for a little while offer her 8000 or less and buy a trailer.
Just my 2 cents
The sloping front ends do look kinda of cool, if it were a closed bow, that open bow is going to get wet.
Mike
Lakedog55
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 12:11am
Boats w/o trailers are hard to sell! My advice is wait it out a little bit and then lowball her when it doesn't sell right away. It is a risk but you have the upper hand! There's plenty more boats for sale and lots of desperate people trying to sell them.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 12:30am
Brendella is a west coast boat, MB is what they are called now because they are made by Mike Brendella.
Currently MB is making some of the most wanted wakeboard boats.
Most owners seem very happy with their boats.
Go drive it and see what you think.
This is the life
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 4:58pm
That era Bredella will be an excellent ski boat, but will have a mediocre wake board wake. Quality wont be up to that of the CC, but they certainly are not cheapo boats like a moomba.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

1986 CC Ski Nautique 2001
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 6:53pm
Like others have said as an investment/resale in 0-10 years the CC has it hands down
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2012 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

- 1993 was the first year of 100% composite construction(stringers) for nautiques...

This is true for the Ski Nautique and Sport Nautique... but may or may not be accurate for the '93-94 Excel/BFN. Not really relevant to this conversation, but just FYI!

True thanks for the reminder
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 1:26am
I bought a 93 sport last Friday with Trailor in great condition for 10k.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 11:55am
I know 2 people with Brendellas. They are wood and their stringers seem to vaporize with rot moreso than other wood ski boats. IIRC they are known for more-often-than usual rot issues. Amazingly the guy I know with a '96 was able to send it to MB for a warranty stringer replacement last year! That's pretty incredible MFG backing.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic