Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Convice me, SNOB vs. Brendella

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
cojab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cojab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2012 at 1:34pm
Thanks again for the replies. I've decided I'm holding out. The Brendella is a nice boat but the low bow and the wood stringers have me thinking no on that one. However if the factory is backing them and replacing them if they're bad like said above I would reconsider. The Sport is the one I really want but I'm going to hold out for 10k with the trailer.
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 1:59am

Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Boats w/o trailers are hard to sell! My advice is wait it out a little bit and then lowball her when it doesn't sell right away. It is a risk but you have the upper hand! There's plenty more boats for sale and lots of desperate people trying to sell them.

I agree...when you're looking to buy, you get excited, and most sellers know it. Without a trailer, it's gonna be a harder sell, take advantage of it. $10K with a trailer seems more reasonable.   
-Adam

1973 Skier
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 2:54am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Brendella is a west coast boat, MB is what they are called now because they are made by Mike Brendella.
Currently MB is making some of the most wanted wakeboard boats.
Most owners seem very happy with their boats.
Go drive it and see what you think.

Not accurate. Mike Brendel separated from Ski Brendella, the company that he (along with a lot of help from his father, Irv Brendel - himself a very well known boat builder) founded. Some stories say he left. Some say he was forced out.   Who knows. It is true that he now owns operates a company called MB Sport. However, the company that was called Ski Brendella is now Calabria. They dropped the name Brendella after some litigation.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 3:01am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I know 2 people with Brendellas. They are wood and their stringers seem to vaporize with rot moreso than other wood ski boats. IIRC they are known for more-often-than usual rot issues. Amazingly the guy I know with a '96 was able to send it to MB for a warranty stringer replacement last year! That's pretty incredible MFG backing.

If your friend was able to do that, fantastic. MB does boast that it has the best warranty in the business. However, I don't see why they would warranty a boat made by another company. BKH
Livin' the Dream

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 3:28am
Simmer down there bk

Looks like all I had wrong was his name is Brendel, I don't think that would mislead anyone too much.

Here it's explained better and maybe you'll see why he would take responsibility. MB Sports

The Calabria info is on that page too.

Calabria got sued in the teak surfing death at Folsom Lake and had to pay out a million dollars to an idiot father who let his kid hang onto the platform and "teak surf" without any life jacket or flotation and the kid passed out from the exhaust and went under and drowned.
lawsuit calabria
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 4:06am
Also I am not sure but a 93 Ski Brendella may not have the turned down bow, I think that came later or was a different model.

93 ski brendella
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 4:10am
It's like saying I have a 93 Ski Nautique or a 93 Ski Sanger...what model is it?
This is the life
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 9:39pm
I am new to the Correct Craft family having bought my first (1986) inboard last summer.

I can speak to the level of quality of CC boats. Having spent all of my summers on a chain of lakes on northern Wisconsin, I have been exposed to a vast amount of boats with varying degrees of quality. But let me tell you, nothing surprised me more than taking my Nautique on the St. Croix river (and sharing it with 40+ foot yachts) and the boat handling the waves amazingly well. The only rattle I get is from the keys...otherwise the boat is amazingly solid. The quality of my Nautique is something I had never experienced before. Even reading the manual had a level of quality about it (well, the writing) that amazed me. It's as if Walt (the founder of CC) penned it himself.

Oh...BTW...these are the kind of boats I deal with on the St. Croix river. The boat handles the waves so well, I cannot come up with the proper words to describe it, other than...quality:

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 1:08am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Simmer down there bk

Looks like all I had wrong was his name is Brendel, I don't think that would mislead anyone too much.

Here it's explained better and maybe you'll see why he would take responsibility. MB Sports

The Calabria info is on that page too.

Calabria got sued in the teak surfing death at Folsom Lake and had to pay out a million dollars to an idiot father who let his kid hang onto the platform and "teak surf" without any life jacket or flotation and the kid passed out from the exhaust and went under and drowned.
lawsuit calabria

I've read the article more than once, including in 2009 when it was written.
MB Sport is not the former Ski Brendella.
It makes no sense that MB would warrant a boat they did not make, but hey, if they want to, that's fantastic.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 1:51am
While I can't comment on the other brand of boat you're looking at, you will not be disappointed with the Sport. I bought a '99 two years ago and I just love it. The versatility others speak about is having a very nice wake to slalom behind, as well as a good hull for wake boarding, in addition to the storage has already been commented on. Plenty of room for 6 adults and gear, and even a few more with kids. So it's an excellent family boat.

I wouldn't get too excited about the one you're looking at with no trailer, it will likely be there. But you do owe it to yourself you look at the '93 that's for sale by one of our members. Looks like a very nice boat, and a unique color.

Good luck.
cojab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cojab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 2:54am
Thanks P71 and Ultra runner. Great info coming in.
cojab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cojab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 2:56am
And I will look at the one for sale by the other member. I am assuming it's in the classifieds.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 10:42am
Originally posted by cojab cojab wrote:

And I will look at the one for sale by the other member. I am assuming it's in the classifieds.

Yep, goto the for-sale section and type in Sport in the keyword box and you'll get a few hits.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 11:45am
Here is an Inboard Trailer,

Should be pretty cheap to get relocated for you.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:58pm
Tim, just posted this Inboard Trailer that is located in OH for $500. It is already set up for a Sport.

Watch the "Craigslist" thread for both boats and trailers.
cojab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cojab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 6:22pm
Well I'm going to go lake test the Sport this Friday. The lady came up with a single axle trailer for it so Im going to check it out. Going to see if I can get it for a bit less than the 10k shes asking for it. She told me she is "just dying to buy this other boat" so I was very happy to hear that!
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 8:21pm
I payed 10k for my 93 sport a few weeks ago with trailer and think I got a good deal. Hope everything goes your way.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Tiger76 Tiger76 wrote:

I payed 10k for my 93 sport a few weeks ago with trailer and think I got a good deal. Hope everything goes your way.

Let's see some pics...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 8:23pm
Well Cojab, don't get too excited about that trailer she's suddenly come up with until you see it. God only knows what it might be. With that said, if you do buy it and are prepared to tow it home, make sure it's the right trailer for the boat, AND that the trailer is ready for the road, etc....all the usual stuff....SNOB's are larger, longer and heavier boats than most of the SN's that reside on single axle trailers, so if she's come up with a single axle trailer, it's more important it's set up properly for the larger SNOB. Offer her 8k, that ought to shake her loose! :-)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

SNOB's are larger, longer and heavier boats than most of the SN's

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

FYI "SNOB" is commonly referred to for a SKI Nautique Open Bow. Sport is only one extra letter anyways...
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 12:11am
Not to blow up Cojab's spot, but I snooped out what I think is likely the Sport Nautique in question. If I'm right, it's pretty sweet looking by the pics. With a half decent trailer, I'd think it would be a ten thousand dollar boat all day in the Northeast.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 12:32am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

It makes no sense that MB would warrant a boat they did not make, but hey, if they want to, that's fantastic.

BKH

Maybe it was Calabria. That would make sense since a guy he skis with is a Calabria rep.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

cojab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cojab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Not to blow up Cojab's spot, but I snooped out what I think is likely the Sport Nautique in question. If I'm right, it's pretty sweet looking by the pics. With a half decent trailer, I'd think it would be a ten thousand dollar boat all day in the Northeast.

You should also see the pics of the interior I had them email me. Very clean! I'll let evryone know how this turns out. I am leary about the trailer though. We'll see.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 12:27pm
Get it home, if the trailer is totally crap - I bet someone would help get one of the trailers above out to CO. Or use UShip, as a matter of fact, I know a guy that is hauling stuff this way from the West Coast this week, he might be able to haul a trailer back on his return trip. Found him via Uship.com, lots of those opportunities out there.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 12:28pm
USHIP rocks!!!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 12:33pm
There is a mid 90's sport trailer for sale in OH for 500 bucks. Check the craigslist thread.
cojab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cojab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 1:25am
Thanks for the lookout on the trailers guys. I appreciate it. The trip to go look at it is now delayed until Tuesday. They sent me a pic of the trailer. It doesnt look terrible but thats just from some pics. Besides asking questions about where the trailer came from, etc. what should I look for as far as how it fits. Mechanically I can check it out pretty thouroughly but i just dont know what the proper fit for this would be. I am assuming the transom should be close to the end of the bunks. Where should the bunks lie on the hull and how far forward should they run.
Thanks again everyone.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 8:14am
mainly just apply some common sense, look for the bow to be against some kind of bowstop, look for the transom to be very close to flush or to stick out from the end of the bunks-if its too short that might not be good depending on how short I suppose. look for the bunks to be in full contact/supporting the hull. Look for good tires. watch for rusted parts/ brakes/ master cylinder. Take a hyd jack and jack it up and spin the wheel and listen- if it grinds...you probably won't get too far. If the boat is really nice and the trailer sucks it looks like you could always get a better trailer and sell off the other and possibly break even on it.

If you have pics you should have posted them then they can really give you some opinions.
This is the life
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 12:14pm
How the weight of the boat balances on the trailer could come into play as well.

If the trailer is for a Ski Nautique (for example), and you put a Sport on there, the engine weight is going to be shifted rearward in relation to the axle. This could make the tongue dangerously light.

+1 on Pics of the boat on the trailer.
cojab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cojab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 1:28am
I leave in the morning to go look at the boat. Hoping the lake is clear so we can get it in the water. If not my plan is that if I like it I will put a deposit on it and have the owner bring it down off the mountain and we can test it on a lake down here.
I'll post some pics when I get home.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic