Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fly High Pole Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
River Monsters View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Monsters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fly High Pole Suggestions
    Posted: March-09-2012 at 4:30pm
Any difference in the fly high pylon extension poles? They all look the same to me. I decided against a tower for various reasons. This 2 piece is available locally:

Fly High Pole 2 Piece

Not sure why 2 piece would be an advantage. Maybe leave in place and still get under the boat lift canopy with only the top section off.

Thanks.

Dave

River Monsters View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Monsters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 4:32pm
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 4:37pm
I would think the two piece would allow you to possibly trailer with the top half off. I had to spend a day trimming branches on the route to and from the ramp so I would not have to take the Super Fly High down every time.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by River Monsters River Monsters wrote:

Not sure why 2 piece would be an advantage.

Probably the best reason is for storage. Broken down and bagged, it probably would fit under the front seat or the trunk.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Originally posted by River Monsters River Monsters wrote:

Not sure why 2 piece would be an advantage.

Probably the best reason is for storage. Broken down and bagged, it probably would fit under the front seat or the trunk.

Bingo. Much easier to store (or ship) a 6' pylon broken down into 2 pieces. It doesnt take any longer to install.

FYI, the generic term youre looking for is an "extended pylon". Fly High is a brand name (made by Barefoot International) for all their wakeboard gear. There are several other brands out there- Skylon, etc.

I have several of the stainless Fly High's and theyre great. Very high quality and they age well. I used to be able to find them used in the $125 range, but that seems to be a thing of the past- most used ones seem to command ~$200 now.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 6:04pm
Are these pretty easy to get on and off? I'm interested in getting one, but I'm thinking it could be a pain with the cover and stuff.

Also, do they flex much? And risk of damaging the original boat pylon you're mounting too?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Are these pretty easy to get on and off? I'm interested in getting one, but I'm thinking it could be a pain with the cover and stuff.

Also, do they flex much? And risk of damaging the original boat pylon you're mounting too?

They are somewhat easy on and off, I think the most time is spent on the cable to bow ring(That's bow ring not lift ring). I've seen one used for years with only a small scratch caused by haste during a arriving lightening storm.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 6:19pm
A good one will not damage the pylon. Our Fly Highs have a plastic liner built into them so they will not scratch the finish. In terms of strength, they'll actually take some of the load off the pylon, as it is bolstered by cables attaching to the bow eye. When our BFN had a mushy floor in the pylon area, we were too afraid to pull directly from the pylon. The one time we used the boom, the leverage of a footer in the water pulled the pylon out of the cup in the hull and set it down outside of it (in other words, the floor flexed 2" to allow this- it was that rotten). So, we did all of our pulling from the Fly High. No issues pulling multiple footers, or even multiple slalom skiers! I have a pic of that somewhere from LG '08...

They take a few minutes to put on and off, but theyre not too bad. It makes it really easy if you have shallow water or if you do it while on the trailer. Putting the strap through the bow eye and then getting on the front deck to fasten the cables and tighten the strap is the only semi-tricky part. Easier than putting on a boom.

I consider it a must-have accessory and we have a dedicated Fly High for every boat we do any sort of semi-serious skiing behind. (Adjusting the cables for the first time to fit a particular boat is not an especially speedy process).
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 6:39pm
Good to know, thanks. We've been getting into boarding a little more, so it would be fun to have the height. It would also be nice to be able to let people sit in back with a boarder in tow.

I think I'll have to invest in one soon.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 6:44pm
Oh, and I should mention that wakeboarding is probably the discipline we do the least of. The Fly High is a must for footing (IMHO), but also gets used regularly for pretty much everything but slalom (and sometimes trick). Also very handy for the sky ski, wake surfing, and pretty much anything not being done to a serious degree that allows you to use the back seat.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The Fly High is a must for footing (IMHO),

I'll second that!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 6:50pm
Yeah, it would definitely be nice to use the back area, to have a couple more people come along. It would also be cool to get a little bit of an upward pull.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 7:00pm

I'll second that!

go low
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 10:48pm
HA! Hollywood, you kill me. Wait til you get a little older, then you'll appreciate that little bit of help   
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 11:04pm
I owe my life to my old Fly High pylon. Works great to deflect boats running over you!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2012 at 11:26pm
You can always still go low with a fly high attached since they have an eye or attaching point if somebody wants to slalom ski. I like the stainless steel versions best. You can even stack a couple extended pylons on top of each other.

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 12:55pm
The one on the Sanger looks like it needs a jib!

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 6:43pm
Here is the predessor to the Super Fly High / tower mounted. I think it does have a jib LOL

It was called the Stiffy

This is the life
notx2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notx2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 7:11pm
I see some people use the bow strap and some use the lifting ring to secure the pole extension.

Is there anything wrong with using the lifting ring for securing the pole?
82-2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 7:38pm
I think as long as your lifting ring is tight and secure it should be fine, we do that with a Malibu without any problems both the boom and a Super Flyhigh are hooked to the lifting ring without a problem. I think more people use the strap since not everybody has lifting rings.
This is the life
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 7:39pm
I have a stainless fly high I paid $175 for barely used, it is a two piece and works great. The official version is the lift ring is designed for verticle loads only, not side loads, and you can crack your gel or worse have the ring pull through using it for the fly high. Unofficially I have bad sun baked gel that I am not concerned about,and for ease of take down while underway (low bridges) I use the lift ring I inspect the ring regularly, and so far no problems, but I am not a professional, don't try this at home.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 8:00pm
I got some cracks in the gelcote from using my lifting ring for the High Fly (this was before the accident). I think the cracks occured during trailer pullout - apparently the boat flexes some.

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I'll second that!

go low

I agree and I know John and Eddie will too. Come on guys, we used to BF in cut offs and a belt (or none!). Give me a break!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 9:02pm
Once you put on a barefoot wetsuit and try a higher pull---you'll never go back. You guys use that new fangled eeeelectricity don't you?
This is the life
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Once you put on a barefoot wetsuit and try a higher pull---you'll never go back. You guys use that new fangled eeeelectricity don't you?

But back in the"good old days", we did it the "hard way"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

You would have to climb the pole like a monkey to put the rope on! And what the hell is that in the water in the backround???? Looks like a guy riding an underwater bike!!!
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 1:03am
Its hard to see but there is a 2 meter leader already attached so no monkey needed the rope can be seen right by the OT in BAREFOOT. The whole lake is only 6 feet deep, that guy is doing "the walk of shame" after falling on his pass.

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 6:07am
China? China? This is the United States calling, come in China!

This is the life
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 6:16am
The awffel tower?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 2:01pm
That big sail thing, how does that work? Is it meant to use air to stabilize the boat against the pull of the skier/boarder?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic