NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 SPOUT connector location?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 SPOUT connector location?
    Posted: March-07-2012 at 3:49am
I've finished replacing my GT40 heads and the test "dry" run went well. However, I'm supposed to adjust the timing at 2,000RPM with the SPOUT connector disconnected. But all the manual says is that it is a connector near the dip stick. All I see there are two wires that seem to go to two separate but linked oil pressure senders. I have no idea what to look for. Any ideas? Any pictures of what I have to unplug?

Thanks.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 10:09am
What manual are you reading? Marine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 12:46pm
I was curious about your question and googled it. I found several Mustang and Ford Truck forums that reference it (which makes sense since your GT-40 is fairly similar to a truck engine).

This is the best I could come up with:
Ford Truck Forum

The SPOUT connector has to do with your distributor and timing. It is how the computer tells the distributor to advance. I would think it might be closer to your dizzy.

If you find it, post pictures. There are none out there.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

If you find it, post pictures. There are none out there.

Really? I dont know my a$$ from my elbow when it comes to EFI, but a google image search for "Ford 351w SPOUT connector" returned a lot of results.

Good reading here

crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 1:09pm
Yeah, it's there. I haven't set timing in over a year but I remember it being by the dipstick, I think above the valve cover close to the distributor and has a grey plug in it. If you disconnect it with the motor running you will notice the timing change back to base (I think I remember base being 5btdc @2000 rpm).

Interestingly, mine was set by the PO (his mechanic) at 0 @2000rpm. I went ahead and set it to 5 btdc. Then the computer will add more advance (about 15 more degrees) unless the engine starts preigniting (knocking).

On the new computer systems (OBD II) I have seen the computer advance out to almost 50 btdc when the engine is revved with no load.
C-Rob

2000 SAN
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 1:12pm
Good find Tim. All I could find was a bunch of threads that mentioned it as if it was a household word and there was no need to explain it.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 2:00pm
Its the little do-hickey behind the spark plug wires in this pic with the gray end. Pull out the gray end set timing per manual and then replace the gray hickey. The computer does the rest.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 2:22pm
I remember my first sprout hunt like it was yesterday... you are always expecting something more impressive looking so sometimes you look right buy it. A couple years ago I dropped my sprout into the engine bay and since my shop is a few hundred yards from the local pull your own junk yard I figured I would just go grab one real quick rather than dig my hands into the hot engine for it. I pulled one and brought it to the counter.. guy goes what the hell is that... its a sprout I say. A what? A sprout... well we dont have a price for a sprout.. I had to explain what a sprout was to three guys before they gave me the sprout for free.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 6:12pm
Sorry for the delay; for some reason I didn't get any email notices that anyone had posted to this thread.

The manual I was originally referencing is the GT40 supplement that came with the PCM engine manual (not service manual, just the manual that comes as part of the owners manual from CC).

Based on everything here, the third picture Gregg that posted is what I have on my engine. However, it is not near the dipstick, but closer to the oil fill spout on the rocker arm cover. Based on this picture and looking at mine, it appears to be a bridge (two wires, so one in, and one out), so I can pull the bridge, then do the timing (yes, it is 5 degrees btdc @ 2000 rpm). I'll let you know for sure probably on Friday which will probably be the next time I start it when I put it in the pond for the water test).

Thanks,

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 6:18pm
[QUOTE=gun-driver] Its the little do-hickey behind the spark plug wires in this pic with the gray end. Pull out the gray end set timing per manual and then replace the gray hickey. The computer does the rest.

Yup, that's what I have. Cool. This will be easy now I know what that is for. I always figured it was some "optional" connector that wasn't used so was capped off. Learn something new every day (just make sure you're not forgetting something every day, or eventually you'll end up running a deficit!).   
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by slmskrs slmskrs wrote:

The manual I was originally referencing is the GT40 supplement that came with the PCM engine manual (not service manual, just the manual that comes as part of the owners manual from CC).

Gordon the GT40 Manual in the reference section is the first release of the engine before the FCC was fitted. So there is some minor differences but the spout looks to be in a similar location on my 98 GT40. (Sitting on top of blue hose) normally sits towards the oil filler on top of main wiring loom.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2012 at 4:39am
Yup, that's the connector. My manual does have the FCC, but as you said, it is at the back in the reference section.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic