Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 26>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 11:15pm
Cheap gasoline, or any other fuel, is not a right. It is not the government's job to keep gas prices low. If you want that move to Iran where the government uses just such a tactic to keep the people happy.

I've traveled in Europe and the Middle East. Gas was ~$10/gallon. Everybody still drives. The difference is that we have built a society that is highly dependent on cars and cheap gas while many of them at least have viable alternatives such as a working train or bus system. They also tend to be much more dense. My officemate is a German, and she told me last weekend that her home city, though the same population as the one we both live in now (~300,000), is only about a third the size in area. Much easier to walk, cycle, or bus to the store.

Cheap gas, urban sprawl, McMansions, ski boats... Just like with taxes we want it all but we don't want to pay for them. The earth is finite. Most resources, including the majority of the energy we use today, are finite. Instead of complaining about how expensive gas is (in another few years you will think this looks cheap) make some changes in your life, your community, and your country to adjust to reality rather than trying to get reality to adjust to you.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 11:35pm
Anyone have a sudden urge to start singing "We are the World"???
...those who have fallen and those who will.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 11:37pm
well said, I drove a truck that got exactly 12 mpg, up hill down hill, pulling a trailer, doin the speed limit, gas spiked to 4.00 a gallon and i swear i was spending roughly 400.00 to 500.00 a month gassing it, my car gets cloe to 50mpg now and i now spend maybe 120.00 a month and diesel is right at 3.89....that 350.00 i save goes into my pocket and i dont miss the truck, thats for sure, i adjusted, hopefully the next car i purchase will get 60 mpg, thats whats important to me
"the things you own will start to own you"
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 12:08am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

well said, I drove a truck that got exactly 12 mpg, up hill down hill, pulling a trailer, doin the speed limit, gas spiked to 4.00 a gallon and i swear i was spending roughly 400.00 to 500.00 a month gassing it, my car gets cloe to 50mpg now and i now spend maybe 120.00 a month and diesel is right at 3.89....that 350.00 i save goes into my pocket and i dont miss the truck, thats for sure, i adjusted, hopefully the next car i purchase will get 60 mpg, thats whats important to me

How is that car at pulling an equipment trailer? or a 5th wheel camper? Can it haul a Nautique? Can it plow snow? I need a truck and so I suffer. Diesel @ $4.10-$4.25
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 12:31am
I don't know but something just doesn't add up

Subsides need to end

record profits
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 12:39am
Maybe we could start by eliminating lobbies
For every dollar spent lobbying(paying congress/politicians)the oil companies get 30 in tax breaks.

Why?Because they are corrupt maybe
This is the life
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Hansel Hansel wrote:

Cheap gasoline, or any other fuel, is not a right. It is not the government's job to keep gas prices low. If you want that move to Iran where the government uses just such a tactic to keep the people happy.

I've traveled in Europe and the Middle East. Gas was ~$10/gallon. Everybody still drives. The difference is that we have built a society that is highly dependent on cars and cheap gas while many of them at least have viable alternatives such as a working train or bus system. They also tend to be much more dense. My officemate is a German, and she told me last weekend that her home city, though the same population as the one we both live in now (~300,000), is only about a third the size in area. Much easier to walk, cycle, or bus to the store.

Cheap gas, urban sprawl, McMansions, ski boats... Just like with taxes we want it all but we don't want to pay for them. The earth is finite. Most resources, including the majority of the energy we use today, are finite. Instead of complaining about how expensive gas is (in another few years you will think this looks cheap) make some changes in your life, your community, and your country to adjust to reality rather than trying to get reality to adjust to you.

Jamin, You are absolutely wrong. As I posted above we have a department of energy, and it was set up to give us affordable energy and keep us competitive in the world market. That was 45 years ago, and just like most the other government we fund they are bad at their job. They have a mission, if they do not want to do it then lets at least stop funding them. The reality is that gas does not cost $10 a gallon to produce and supply, people in Europe are forced to pay that because of government social engineering, and that is one of the reasons the US economy left Europe in the dust, at least until we decided to copy their ineffective model rather than stick to the one that made us famous.

This country is not Europe, we can fit most of their countries inside most of our states. Mass transit makes sense in a New York or Metro Chicago, but not in 99% of the US. My reality which I am well adjusted to is that I install hardwood floors, I carry a van full of tools and have to haul up to 1000 square feet of wood at a time. That requires a 3/4 ton van. When gas goes up to an all time high, it effects business income, so the cost has to be passed on or taken off profits, which effects government tax collections. I hope you are aware of what is going on in the construction industry. We were hit first, hardest, and probably will be tha last to recover. Running out to get an eco-powered mother earth hug-able work van is not in the picture, we are all making do with what we have. That is reality. Another reality is that our president has a stated objective to raise fuel prices to make his green agenda SEEM like it is needed. He is hamstringing our economy at every turn.

Minneapolis/St Paul had a wonderful and complete light rail system in the first half of the 1900's. Our politicians were paid off in generous kick backs in the 1960's by general motors to replace it with buses. They tore up the tracks, and had a giant bonfire of trolley cars. Now we are taking half of our states transit money to try to rebuild a new system because our government officials have decided they want one back again. The problem is it does not go where I need to go. I cannot load a table saw, miter saw, air compressor, 1000 feet of hard wood.....onto if it did. I do get to sit at stoplights that it overrides every time it goes by. It also seems to run over pedestrians on a fairly regular basis.

As I said before, We have been told since 1910 that we will run out of oil in a decade or two. I was told in the 70'S by my junior high tree hugging science teacher that we would be out of both oil and drinkable water by now. Current estimates have us at least 50 more years of supply and they keep finding more. I plan on doing my part to make changes and it will start with who occupies the oval office and my states Governors mansion.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 1:11am
Hmmm Bakken didn't pay anybody off (see list of lobbyists) wonder if that has anything to do with delaying Keystone XL? Maybe the US really does want to make sure the pipeline is as safe as it can possibly be?

bakkenlink pipeline

I know it's a lot of reading, imagine what it's like to be a politician.
This is the life
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 1:34am
I thought liberals were supposed to be the whiney ones, how come is is always the repubs on here bitchin?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 1:48am
Interesting that Canada does not want a pipeline to run west to BC

Canada not too thrilled about pipeline run through Canada to coast
This is the life
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 10:06am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I thought liberals were supposed to be the whiney ones, how come is is always the repubs on here bitchin?

Liberals are either too busy blaming Bush or patting each other on the back for the well done Obama.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 10:49am
when one pumps, one creates a void, drilling is not that easy.
when you pull that crude out of the ground you have to replace it with another liquid..they are having problems up here in Ohio with shale deposits and fracking, its creating earthqaukes? but they hydraulically force the LNG out with water...
damn, i did see a show on coal being transformed into a viable useable fuel for transportation, not steam, but a burnable combustion engine...I think we would all be surprised if they said thats it, the oil is gone...***************, you buy a Ipad 2, and three weeks later the 3 is out...thats how things work, the most precious delicate thing in this country is our economy....wouldnt be to good if you bought a car at 16 and it lasted you until you died, its designed like a cornfield, plow it under, grow it again, as it evolves it should be of better qaulity and qaunity. we know right now you can plug a car in at night for 2 bucks and get back and forth to work, humans adapt pretty easily.
these car companies are geared up for the 34mpg standards, they are not standing around waiting for the law to come into effect...
but again, laws laws laws, which is a form of regulation and it is needed...if we didnt have laws or regulations, we still would be in horse and buggies toten 6 shooters
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 11:21am
This will make you smile Eric,the US leads the world in this Yeast Gas now if they were to change the beer yeast gene.....so you can drink and then wee in the tank
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 11:25am
is it possible that a woman could power her own car?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 11:26am
anything you atomize, burns
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 11:55am
Just to make you guys feel better according to "The AA" the average price in the UK now stands at £1.35 per liter for standard unleaded (95 ron)!

1 US gallon = 3.78541178 litres
£1.35 * 3.78541178 = £5.11 (rounded) per US gallon !!!!
current exchange rate (from Xe.com)
1 GBP = 1.59400 USD
£5.11 * 1.59400 = $8.15(rounded) per gallon

What is being done in the UK about this.....errrm that would be NOTHING!!!

Most people are limiting the use of thier cars not taking unnecessary trips, personally I have reduced my speed which enables me to eek out an extra days commute per week from a tank of fuel which effectively saves me about £200 per month which should go a little way to keeping the boat running this summer :)
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 12:09pm
I was un Utah last week and parked next to a late model Suburban that ran on CNG (compressed natural gas), Hydrogen and E85. He had tanks under the truck and in the back. I also saw an electric charging station in front of a drug store for electric cars. I was told that CNG costs about half what regular gas does. We don't have anything like that in the north northeast.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 12:46pm
Riley, I think I have seen some public trans buses thet run on CNG. in MA
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 1:51pm
[QUOTE=eric lavine]
but again, laws laws laws, which is a form of regulation and it is needed...if we didnt have laws or regulations, we still would be in horse and buggors QUOTE]

Which law was it that made Henry Ford invent the assembly line. More likely they woiuld be bailing oit the buggy whip manufacturers.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 4:59pm
omh, thats everything your against??????? your democratic values are sprouting
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Liberals are either too busy blaming Bush or patting each other on the back for the well done Obama.

You got that right my friend. And Obama has always got a plan. "i GOT A PLAN TO FIX ALL THIS"! He coundlnt fix a flat tire..

1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 6:14pm
He certainly fixed Osama Bin Laden
This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

No, he just took credit for it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 9:35pm
You mean like when former President Bush announced
"Mission Accomplished" ???????????????????????

Bin Laden is feeding the fish. DEAD. Bush couldn't do it. Obama did it.

Apparently you do not know the role of the President of the United States of America.
This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 9:54pm
I do know the role. I also know that the ground work for the "capture / kill" was in place prior to Obama's administration. He was in the right place at the right time. I believe with the current administration's numbers being at a all time low, the decision to go in risking both soft and hard assets was a "all in" move to save any chance of a second term. The U.S. military deserves all the credit and pretty much handed to him. He would have to have big balls to take any credit for that in any upcoming debate.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

No, he just took credit for it.

You dam right...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 10:04pm
Commander-in-Chief mean anything to you? Osama was killed under orders from President Obama.

spin it however you like it won't change the facts. Nor make you right.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 10:07pm
So Obama had Bin Laden killed to insure a second term???? Wow what is in that KoolAid? ROFLMAO
This is the life
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeke
<br />Apparently you do not know the role of the President of the United States of America.[/QUOTE GlassSeeke
Apparently you do not know the role of the President of the United States of America.[/QUOTE wrote:

Yes we do. Dont raise taxes!!Dont force or use federal goverment over our liberty or freedom.

Yes we do. Dont raise taxes!!Dont force or use federal goverment over our liberty or freedom. Quit kissing the Afganstains asses. Quit going against the foundations of America, the U.S Constitution. He ruined the healthcare system and education is now non affordable. And QUIT BANKRUPPTING AMERICA!!
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 10:09pm
Sounds like you've resigned yourself to the fact that Obama is going to get a second term. I think you're probably right on that.
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 26>
  Share Topic