Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23242526>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 2:49pm
4.25 for diesel Steve....still gettin 50 mpg lol, i just did my annual 20,000 mile oil, change
"the things you own will start to own you"
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 7:29pm
Crap, just went by the non-ethonal station near me and it jumped .13 to $4.08 since this morning.
Tim D
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 12:43am
Yes it is high, but if you had to push your truck 20 miles, would you pay someone $4.08 to move it for you?

That would seem like a bargain!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 1:26am
Of my 4 Toyotas, that would only be a bargain if someone would push the Sequoia. If I fill up my 4 SUV's and both boats it would cost $510.
Tim D
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 12:07am
I found the solution to high gas prices. Just take your car back in time and fill up!
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 12:21am
Reminds me of a gas station I pulled into in the far northwoods of Wisconsin a few years ago. I pulled up, filled the gas tank, walked in to give the old boy (owner I guess) my credit card, and......"I don't take credit cards here"!! Oh Sh*$!! I had to find every loose coin in the car to pay the guy, but, I got him paid. I mean come on, what modern, high tech, gas station doesn't take credit cards in this day and age .

Oh well, that's back in the good ole days when gas was only $3.25/gallon
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 1:32am
This one had been closed since the 70's. I pulled up just to take a photo and an old guy (older than me) came out of the door while I was taking it. You can see him in the doorway. He wondered what I was doing and we talked. He invited me inside and we sat around his coal stove and drank a pop while he told me of the old days in his town, which was now all but gone. There is still a Larwill Indiana, but it moved to a different location. His last name was Platt and he was a WWII vet. His wife had dementia and he still went to the station every day and just hung out, visited by his old friends now and then. The station still has the old inventory from when he closed it in the 70's and a repair and machine shop in the rear. You can see the cases of pop stacked behind him. He told me about the old hospital, built in the 19th century, that was still standing, and I found a church that had long been abandoned. I took a photo of that too. I often travel the back roads when the spirit moves me and talk to people along the way. There is something about history that moves me. I guess that's why I like the old boats too. I am not sure why I am sharing this, just over caffinated I suspect.

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 1:45am
I can relate John. I travel several Midwestern states, and I ALWAYS take the back roads. Always keeping my eyes open for an old Correct Craft boat, or Ford truck. I'll be darned, there is a '64 F250 lurking in your picture with another Ford hiding right beside it. I grew up in Noblesville/Fishers, IN (just north of Indy) in Hamilton County (the MOST Republican county in the country by the way:). Where in the heck is Larwill?

The area I grew up in was nothing but farms in the 70's when I graduated high school. I go back there now, and I don't even recognize the place. Nothing but offices, and retail now. All the farms are gone. My family dairy farm is now a 250,000 sq. ft. warehouse. I sure wished we had kept that farm to reap the big $$$$ when it finally sold to developers.
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Hansel Hansel wrote:

Hi Kirk,

Per Wikipedia "Funding of science", in major industrialized such as the US around 70% of what might be called "research" or "R&D" takes place in industry, with the remaining 30% split close to evenly by universities and government. Our country spends around $300 billion/yr on "research."

For example, at UW-Madison where I am research expenditures are in the $1+ billion/yr range. I would hazard a guess that much if not most of that money comes from the Federal Government. Annual spending by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) runs around $30 billion/yr and the National Science Foundation is funded to the tune of $7+ billion/yr. Other major Federal funding sources include the Dept. of Energy, USDA, USGS, EPA, FDA, and a host of other sources. Private industry is also collaborating increasingly often with universities; in fact the UW-Madison's Wisconsin Institute for Discovery (WID) was recently named "Laboratory of the Year by R&D Magazine.

It is a crass notion to think that academics "use" those on the lower rungs, at least relative to any other human endeavor. I am sure that it happens in some cases and at some level, as department heads and project advisors have a vested interest in getting results as we all do. My experience is that department heads and others are facilitators of research. I (a student) get to publish my own results. I know that things can be different in other places/departments/etc. but I don't think it is valid assumption to say that that is the paradigm.

That is "reserach" in general. If you want to know about climate research, I will have to do a bit more digging and get back to you.

Where in Michigan are you from? I grew up on the west side of the lower peninsula!

Even though this thread is rather dead, I came across this report today and thought I would share it with anybody who is interested in research and development at US universities.

NSF Research Summary
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2012 at 9:30pm
Another article showing oil rig count is at a 25 year high currently---so how has Obama cut off all drilling????????????????????? Well, he hasn't and that folks is the truth of the matter.

Drill baby drill is exactly what is happening
This is the life
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2012 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Another article showing oil rig count is at a 25 year high currently---so how has Obama cut off all drilling????????????????????? Well, he hasn't and that folks is the truth of the matter.

Drill baby drill is exactly what is happening

You think it's 87 or 93?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 8:52am
just a taste of rightyganda
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 10:39am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

just a taste of rightyganda

Is that shot pointed at me?

He's tauting oil rigs and he posted an article about natural gas?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 12:04pm
You have to read the whole piece, what they fail to mention is the increase in drilling is on private lands.

They also miss the opening point, when you have an abundance of a product the price drops.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 12:11pm
Is this all a bunch of leftaganda to make us believe Obama likes fossil fuels. OF COURSE HE DOESN'T! Keep going guys, I think you almost have yourselves convinced.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Is this all a bunch of leftaganda to make us believe Obama likes fossil fuels. OF COURSE HE DOESN'T! Keep going guys, I think you almost have yourselves convinced.

Dave,
What's going on with resin pricing? Going up as well?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 1:03pm
Pete.....I deal in more specialty type resins (conductive, lubricated, FR, etc), and we haven't had an announced price increase since last August. That said, unfilled polypropylene did go up around $.16/lb. in February. All in all, its been pretty quiet on most other base resins especially considering what has been going on with the price of oil.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 1:37pm
I wouldn't expect it to go up.
Cost of a barrel of oil on NYMEX

04/08/11 =$112.79

TODAY.= $103.02

Crude is cheaper today than it was a year ago.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 6:48pm
Sorry I guess for some I'd have to say "you have to read the article to possibly understand it"...I thought that was a given. If I have to say that then your chances of undestanding the article is nil anyway.

And nowhere does it say "on private land"
This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 7:29pm
The private land thing is correct though. They are pulling rigs(oil and gas rigs are the same) out of the weeds(A.K.A mothballed), for smaller operators trying to make a buck off the increase in oil price. A lot of rigs went over seas and up north across the border. Keep in mind there are dozens of types of crude too. Both sides twist the facts a little.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 8:48am
ahhhhh, your only chances of a righty for 4 years quit yesterday...
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 11:45am
I think he quit before he embarrased himself big time in his home state of Pennsylvania.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 12:56am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

ahhhhh, your only chances of a righty for 4 years quit yesterday...

A self proclaimed liberal, a self proclaimed moderate, and a self proclaimed conservative walk into a bar, the bar tender looks up a says............Hi Mitt.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 1:24am
I got a good chuckle out of that.

quik225 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quik225 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 1:41am
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

His grandfather worked for the evil oil companies, so did his father, and his mother worked for the evil banks and didn't like to pay taxes (she had tax leins as high as $13K).

So do as Obama says, not as his family did.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 2:59am
Obama was out misinforming the country again this week. Tuesday he stated the US holds 2% of the worlds oil. The US Geological Survey said this week that the the world excluding the US has 565 billion barrels of undiscovered conventional oil. The same report lists the United States combined on/off shore at 109 billion barrels, or over 16% of the worlds oil. Our Energy Information Administration estimates we have 218.9 billion barrels or over 25% of the worlds oil. Who is Obama getting his information from?

US geologic report
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 3:10am
He said and has said 2% of the worlds proven reserves.. which was and is still correct.. how is that misinformation. Unlike what you are doing here which is spreading misinformation by saying that he said 2% of the worlds oil which he didnt.

Gas prices are on the way back down.. btw.. but that is no more obamas doing than when they were going up.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 3:32am
Well gents, it looks like the Keystone pipeline is alive again with the company re-routing it around an aquifier. Let's see if it will pass the House and the Senate this time around, although Obama will surely call his cronies to lobby against it.

If it passes, it will get real interesting when it gets to Obamas desk. Will he really veto it?!?! We shall see if it was really the contamination of the aquifer that was his real concern....or the shear hatred of oil. I am betting on the dislike of oil, and that he vetoes it. Maybe he will spend $15,000,000,000 (same as the national debt) to start an algae ranch
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 3:54am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

He said and has said 2% of the worlds proven reserves.. which was and is still correct.. how is that misinformation. Unlike what you are doing here which is spreading misinformation by saying that he said 2% of the worlds oil which he didnt.

Gas prices are on the way back down.. btw.. but that is no more obamas doing than when they were going up.   

Using proven reserves is like using existing technology for alternative energy. Our president on one had gambles with tax payer money on the "future" of green technology, and compares it to "present" of oil industry who is willing to invest private funds on their own future. We are being mislead by Obama only siting proven reserves. Technically recoverable oil is a far more accurate look at the industries and our countries future.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 4:30am
Joe, Obama said he could not do anything about rising gas prices, any bets on how long it takes for him to try to take credit if they drop?

The last two plans I have from him are to increase taxes on oil companies by taking away accelerated depreciation which is granted to all manufacturing firms, and to regulate speculators. Both will increase industry costs, and are merely a way to deflect from the supply issues using the politics of envy.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23242526>
  Share Topic