NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1977 Ski Nautique Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1977 Ski Nautique Rebuild
    Posted: July-21-2014 at 12:15pm
I did not adjust that timing advance slot. Just too little clearance in there for me to be working on it while still in the boat. I do not want to take it out in the middle of the summer. We have too many weekends planned for the boat and I would rather have it running the way it is than none at all. Besides I would love to have a spare plate just in case. I don't want to buy another distributor!!

I think I may have corrected the problem, though I am not certain until I can get it back on the water. I think the diaphragm was jacked up in the housing. I could hear it making a lot of noise (like it was crinkled up) before I took it apart. I am sure I got it back together correct and now I don't hear that noise and there is definitely more pressure when I manually engage the secondaries. I will keep everyone posted.

A
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

catamount View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catamount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2014 at 11:02am
Just curious, did you ever modify the timing slot? I only ask because I only get 12 degrees of advance and my secondaries aren't opening either. I've confirmed that the vacuum passage is clear (blew solvent threw and watched it come out in the primary), replaced the cork gasket and confirmed that the plunger holds vacuum. My secondary shaft moves freely so I don't think that's the problem. Like you, my boat goes like a bat out of hell if you manually push on up on the rod at WOT.

Part of me is wondering if our shared timing issue is prevent us from reaching enough engine vacuum to open the secondaries.
1987 MC ProStar 190
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 7:05pm
I would check the diaphram that opens the secondaries. Or maybe the vacuum passage is plugged.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 6:41pm
Well, i got the boat out to Marty's daughters birthday party on the lake yesterday and had him ride with me to try and diagnose the backfire/missing issue. We figured it out the secondaries are not opening at all. We can manually engage the secondaries while running and the boat picks up speed and power tremendously. Any suggestions on what to do about that?
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 10:20am
Here are the links that Marty Mabe sent me. I think I will measure the current slot and determine a multiplier for the 6 degrees of slide and just lengthen it a little my by that multiplier to try and get 9. And see what that does. You don;t want to go too far because you can't back. But I think I would be happy with just a little more advance.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link 5
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

catamount View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catamount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 12:23am
Could you possibly post what he has sent you? I'm curious because I'm in the "same boat". I only get 12 degrees advance, but I am really hesitant to modify that slot because too much advance and bad things happen to good engines. It seems like a crapshoot and very annoying to keep taking that plate out to extend the slot, and then experiment again.
1987 MC ProStar 190
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2014 at 12:08am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Those slots are no match for a dremel & steady hand! Go for it.

Thats what I have been thinking. Marty Mabe has done some research for me and has sent me a lot of web information about it. So I am thinking that I might take it apart and at least lengthen that slot just a little and see what we get.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 10:50pm
Those slots are no match for a dremel & steady hand! Go for it.

Ben Franklin
catamount View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catamount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 4:48pm
For your '77, 12 degrees of mechanical advance may be correct. I'm not sure. I know that it's not right for my '87 351W.
1987 MC ProStar 190
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 4:19pm
That's interesting. I didn't know that. Could be the advancing issues. I'll have to research that more.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

catamount View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catamount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 4:06pm
The reason I ask is that I bought a NOS Prestolite last year and am also only getting 12 degrees out of it. As I'm looking at your distributor photos, I see a '6' or is that a '9' stamped onto the advance plate.

That number, doubled, is supposed to be the maximum total advance the dist will allow. So if it's a 6 and you're really get 12 degrees of advance, this explains it. And the next step is to figure out why that plate is there limiting you.

It does seem like that slots in that plate don't allow for much travel compared to other advance plates I've seen posted here.

1987 MC ProStar 190
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by catamount catamount wrote:

Originally posted by HatterBee HatterBee wrote:

Well guys I did a thorough river run today and I believe I just about have most things worked out. I have mounted all the seats and engine cover back in and have all misc items reinstalled.

I am however having a backfiring issue. I can run a long time at 3000 RPMs no matter if I ease it there or gun it there, but once I get over 3000 RPMs the thing backfires until I reduce engine speed to 3000 or less. Any ideas on what could cause this?

Did lubing your weights clear up your 10 degrees of advance issue?

How much advance are you getting at 3000 now?

No not really. I am still at about 12 to 14. I am going to keep playing with because I still have a backfiring issue over 3000 RPM's. I am going to reset the initial timing back to about 12 because it seemed real to hard to start last time once it got hot.   It doesn't happen in the yard only under a load on the water. I have replaced the cap and rotar, and reset the points gap but nothing. It doesnt seem as bad but still there. I have a new set of points and coil and plugs I will through in there and then reset everything and see how that does. If that doesnt fix it I dont know what to try next. However, it runs real good up to 3000 RPM so at least it is working ok because at 3000 RPM I am still running about 32 MPH.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

catamount View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catamount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2014 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by HatterBee HatterBee wrote:

Well guys I did a thorough river run today and I believe I just about have most things worked out. I have mounted all the seats and engine cover back in and have all misc items reinstalled.

I am however having a backfiring issue. I can run a long time at 3000 RPMs no matter if I ease it there or gun it there, but once I get over 3000 RPMs the thing backfires until I reduce engine speed to 3000 or less. Any ideas on what could cause this?

Did lubing your weights clear up your 10 degrees of advance issue?

How much advance are you getting at 3000 now?
1987 MC ProStar 190
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 9:43am
I vote for secondary circuit plugged up.

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 1:37am
Points float?

Look at the description of the last item (points set) here:

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1129&val=0&pagenumber=1
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 1:10am
Secondary fuel level set too low?
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 11:22pm

I will post some pics soon. Thanks
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 11:18pm
Sounds good anytime. I have moved however, I now live in Burgaw which just east of White Lake.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2014 at 12:07am
Boat is looking great. Progress is awesome. I need to come see it again!! -David
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2014 at 1:41pm
Non detergent oil like a 30 w would be ideal but not worth buying a qt for! Just use a few drops of regular motor oil on the felt wick and just a drop on the weight pivots.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2014 at 12:19pm
Any suggestions on lube for the dizzy?
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2014 at 12:34pm
Ok so I had a little time and I took the T-stat out it is a 160. I put in a pot of water that was real close to boiling and it did not open. So I let it get to a boil and after about 30 seconds it finally opened. I would think it should have opened sooner than that. Either way I believe I will replace it with a 143.

Took the rear bowl off the carb just like the carb guy suggested and there was a little trash in there, so I cleaned it out real good and made sure the needle and seat was closing. Hopefully this will take care of that.

I took the dist cap off and looked inside the dizzy. It all looks pretty new and clean to me. I'm not sure there is anything I need to do here but maybe a little lube. Which brings me to the question of what do I use to lube it. The advance seemed to spin out smoothly and return. Can yall think of anything else to look at in there.

I'm going to try and run it some on Sunday in the yard and double check the timing and adjust the mixture screws and idle.

1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

RSdsafsdfgoldfbg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSdsafsdfgoldfbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 11:34pm
I think you're absolutely right. I agree with you.

Fifa 14 PC Coins
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 4:46pm
I got the sachs from skidim and I had to cut it down. The way you describe it, it does make a little sense. Just confusing that a new damper would make such a ruckus.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 4:33pm
Ive never put a IR temp gun on different parts of the engine, but it certainly seems plausible that different areas will run at different temperatures. Remember that the the temp gauge reads the temperature of the water in the cooling passage located near the the thermostat housing on the intake. Exterior surfaces of the engine may vary from that temperature, especially if they are near the hot stuff and not near coolant passages. Components near the combustion chambers, especially the exhaust side will be HOT. The numbers you posted seem reasonable.

Remember that the damper wouldnt have been doing anything if the transmission wasnt attached- it just would have been spinning and that wont make any noise- it wouldnt have been being functioned. What makes noise is when the springs/spring pockets have some slop and the actuation of the damper makes them move around and hit each other. The damper does as its name implies- dampens the rotation of the engine as it drives the transmission. The inner bore of the damper (connected to the splined transmission input shaft) can rotate slightly as it is connected to the outer legs of the damper via some large springs, so it has some "give" as the engine starts/stops and accelerates. A faulty damper or an idle that is too low is really the only thing I can think of that would cause the symptoms youre describing... even a transmission that has failed catastrophically is usually silent.

When you ran the engine with the damper but minus the transmission, was the bellhousing attached, or was it removed along with the tranny? Which damper do you have- the sachs/Alto? If so, do you have the cut down version or did you cut it down yourself? Or did you leave the legs long?
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 3:58pm
Thanks Tim I will do that with the thermostat. Should I be getting that temperature difference from the intake, block and heads if the cooling system is operating normally?      

I will also check the tach readout with the timing light at higher RPM's.

When I rebuilt the engine and got it all back together is when that transmission noise started. I dont remember if it was there before (remember I have never had this boat in the water, but did get it running before I tore it down.) I removed the transmission to try and eliminate the engine as the source of the noise. It did not make that noise without the transmission bolted on the engine. I did not remove the damper from the engine and there was no noise.

We will see how that plays out.   But first the cooling issue and timing.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 12:30pm
I'd pull the thermostat and test it in a pot of boiling water. If it opens as it should, feel free to reinstall. Next water test, stay on it until it hits 200... That'll tell you if you have an issue or not. If it stays at 180-190 that may be a normally operating 160 stat. All of my boats with 143's run between 155-165 under most conditions, so 15-20 deg above the stats rating would be considered normal.

The weights and springs are below the points plate in the dizzy- they're all the way at the bottom. I wouldn't be surprised to find a broken spring or 2, stops in the wrong place, or if there's some corrosion causing things to stick. Something is wrong with only 10deg of advance. Snap some pics and share what you find.

That tach has to be off if it said 4500 at 30mph. When do you hear the tranny noise? Idle or speed? What is your idle set at? "Damper knock" is common if your idle is rough or too low- set it to 650rpm in gear.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 11:12am
TRBeng wrote --- Congrats Allen, any time you make it back go the dock/trailer under your own power on a shakedown cruise, that's a big success! Especially on a project of this magnitude.

1. Tell us more about how the temp gauge acted. Would it return to 140 when returning to idle? If you kept running faster, would it hold 180-190 or would it go hotter? (200 is about all I'd push it.) a 160 stat may run closer to 180 all the time- a 143 would have you closer to 150-160 for the most part.

** The temp gauge would stay around 150 to 160 when at idle and move very quickly to 180 to 190. At this point I shut it down so dont really know if would keep climbing. It would cool back down though but took a while to get back to 150 to 160 range, never as low as 140. The temp gauge seemed to be pretty accurate due to using my IR thermometer right there at the sensor. I might pull the stat and check and if its a 160 might change to 143.

2. If your dizzy is only advancing 10 deg then that will probably cause you problems. Pop the top off and get down below the points baseplate and inspect the weights and springs. Free them up if necessary and lube them up.

*** I will pull the cap and check the weights and springs. Is this something that can be replaced easy?

Hopefully you have an inaccurate tach or speedo (or both) as 30mph at 4500 is way off. That prop/hull/transmission combo will track darn near 1:1 speed vs rpm, so 4500 should get you 45mph. If not, you may have transmission issues after all. Get a shop tach and check yours, and bring a gps with you on your next trip out.

**** I used a GPS to get the speed. The speedo's where fairly close to the GPS reading. I used the tach reading from the timing gun to range the boat tach and it seemed to be close, but I didnt check at higher RPM's, I'll do that as well.

3. A bad transmission usually won't make a sound (they're hydraulic, after all)... Noise from the tranny area usually means damper plate, which is the connection between the engine and tranny. You have to pull the tranny off to access it, but it's easier than a full rebuild and a heck of a lot cheaper. Might want to order one to have on hand in case it ends up failing completely. Ebasicpower sells the good Alto/Sachs damper for a velvet drive for $90-100.

****** I put a new damper plate on when I had it apart. I dont think the sound is from the front, it seems to be towards the rear. This is not an issue I am as worried about right now. I'm more concerned with getting the engine running efficiently and then I will try to work on the gear.

4. Like Brian alluded to, you don't necessarily need for the packing to leak. The gore text stuff is very good. So long as the leak rate is not excessive and the packing gland isn't getting hot, then you're good to go.

*** This is good news, I wont worry about this anymore.

Bri892001 wrote -- 1.) Might just be a thermostat problem. But, also, the thermostat doesn't control the water going to the exhaust manifolds, so they should always be getting water. Hmmm, I'd check to make sure you don't have any restrictions anywhere in the water supply, like in the tranny cooler etc.

**** I didnt check for restrictions. The tranny cooler is new and all hoses are new, I can check them thought to make sure no bugs or what not have made a home over the winter. The exhaust manifolds stayed cool the entire time.

2.) On the speed, are you sure your speedos are correct, have you GPS'd it?

**** Yes I used a GPS.

4.) Depending on what kind of packing you have in there, it may not really leak. I don't think the modern goretex stuff really does much. Of course, there's always the dripless setups. The rudder is fine not to leak anyway, cause that's not rotating constantly like the driveshaft. Long story short, you're probably fine.

**** This is good I used the gortex.

Thanks guys
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 10:35am
Congrats Allen, any time you make it back go the dock/trailer under your own power on a shakedown cruise, that's a big success! Especially on a project of this magnitude.

1. Tell us more about how the temp gauge acted. Would it return to 140 when returning to idle? If you kept running faster, would it hold 180-190 or would it go hotter? (200 is about all I'd push it.) a 160 stat may run closer to 180 all the time- a 143 would have you closer to 150-160 for the most part.

2. If your dizzy is only advancing 10 deg then that will probably cause you problems. Pop the top off and get down below the points baseplate and inspect the weights and springs. Free them up if necessary and lube them up.

Hopefully you have an inaccurate tach or speedo (or both) as 30mph at 4500 is way off. That prop/hull/transmission combo will track darn near 1:1 speed vs rpm, so 4500 should get you 45mph. If not, you may have transmission issues after all. Get a shop tach and check yours, and bring a gps with you on your next trip out.

3. A bad transmission usually won't make a sound (they're hydraulic, after all)... Noise from the tranny area usually means damper plate, which is the connection between the engine and tranny. You have to pull the tranny off to access it, but it's easier than a full rebuild and a heck of a lot cheaper. Might want to order one to have on hand in case it ends up failing completely. Ebasicpower sells the good Alto/Sachs damper for a velvet drive for $90-100.

4. Like Brian alluded to, you don't necessarily need for the packing to leak. The gore text stuff is very good. So long as the leak rate is not excessive and the packing gland isn't getting hot, then you're good to go.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 10:18am
1.) Might just be a thermostat problem. But, also, the thermostat doesn't control the water going to the exhaust manifolds, so they should always be getting water. Hmmm, I'd check to make sure you don't have any restrictions anywhere in the water supply, like in the tranny cooler etc.

2.) On the speed, are you sure your speedos are correct, have you GPS'd it?

4.) Depending on what kind of packing you have in there, it may not really leak. I don't think the modern goretex stuff really does much. Of course, there's always the dripless setups. The rudder is fine not to leak anyway, cause that's not rotating constantly like the driveshaft. Long story short, you're probably fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic