Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carpet edging question.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Maximal691 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carpet edging question.
    Posted: February-23-2012 at 2:17pm
What are you guys using for carpet edging? The original stuff on my boat is trashed, and Im having a hard time finding something else to run. This is what I was thinking of using,

http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/5_320_323-boat-deck-and-docking-hardware-trim-lock/13969-tracker-boats-tracker-18-in-edge-trim-w-pebble-texture-black-trim-lock-boat-molding-foot.html

Anyone have any good suggestions?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 2:26pm
I just put back in the kind that is like original, I got it from christines aka nautique skins. Thats what I would use, slipped right in with a small putty knife and 20oz carpet.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Maximal691 Maximal691 wrote:

What are you guys using for carpet edging? The original stuff on my boat is trashed, and Im having a hard time finding something else to run. This is what I was thinking of using,

http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/5_320_323-boat-deck-and-docking-hardware-trim-lock/13969-tracker-boats-tracker-18-in-edge-trim-w-pebble-texture-black-trim-lock-boat-molding-foot.html

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Go to Christines as suggested. The stuff you found is not correct. It's a edge trim.

BTW, here's a proper link to the edge trim

Link to carpet trim It's towards the bottom of the page.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:20pm
Its easy to clean up the original trim- some acetone will take up the old glue and carpet remnants. A little bit of 303 will have the top side looking pretty good. Let it sit in the sun (heat it up) and it will flatten itself out. Any tears along the 90 degree piece will be hidden when reinstalled.

That being said, for $90 you can replace with new from Christines- which may be money well spent! That edge trim would be a nightmare trying to install it on the edge of a carpet, btw.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:43pm
I don't see how it would be a nightmare. Push it on, and that one ledge would bite into the fibers. The idea is just to make a clean line along the seam. My old trim is hard and just in poor shape and has lost all of it's softness.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:53pm

I don't see how it would be a nightmare. Push it on, and that one ledge would bite into the fibers. The idea is just to make a clean line along the seam. My old trim is hard and just in poor shape and has lost all of it's softness.

NG,
Have you ever used push on edge trim before? It's hard enough to get it on the edge of something ridgid like sheet metal let alone soft carpet!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:55pm
The edge trim is hard to put on a 1/8" thick piece of fiberglass. Trying to get it on a piece of flappy carpet would be a nightmare... even if youre using something really thin (like 12oz). Anything thick, forget it. Its hard enough getting the carpet into the original trim, and it was intended for that exact purpose!

The stock stuff isnt supposed to be "soft". Its a hard rubber/plastic of some sort. Warming it up makes it significantly more pliable (and easy to work with).
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:57pm
I'd recomend the stuff from Christine's as well. Ordering some soon as well.

Did you try Tim's trick with the lighter? Saw he posted that yesterday and it works well.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Black carpet? HW's a fan!

For a more finished look, take a lighter to the edge of the carpet (motorbox/bilge). It will smooth it out and prevent runs.

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 5:22pm
I havent gotten back out yet but have a stick lighter lined up to do it soon. Been a busy week.

It was hard enough getting the new carpet trim I am glad I bought new. I cleaned up a small piece of the old and it took me several minutes to get 2 feet of it clean. It was worth it to me. I would still be picking glue.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 5:32pm
Acetone and a wire brush speeds up the process, but cleaning the old stuff is still a PITA. I reused the trim on my '90 and it came out looking brand new.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 6:52pm
Maybe it's just too cold out, but my old stuff is twisted and I can't even get it to follow the edge of the hull. Plus ,y new carpet is thinner and fall out of the groove.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 7:03pm
a hairdryer is helpful. When I recieved the new stuff in the mail it was very stiff and hard to work with. I let it set in the house for a couple days with some weights on it and its good or use a hairdryer and it will become pliable.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 7:05pm
You definitely have to lay it flat and heat it up to get it back into shape (not twisted). This may take a while if its been balled up for a long time.

You need to glue the carpet into the trim, and the trim down to the floor- you cant rely on friction to hold it in.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 1:24am
Do you glue down the trim pieces to the floor first then glue the carpet into the trim when you lay it?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Big Pappa Big Pappa wrote:

Do you glue down the trim pieces to the floor first then glue the carpet into the trim when you lay it?

I do the opposite.

1. Install carpet on walls, trim it flush to the floor (after the glue dries).
2. Install the carpet on the floor, leave the last 12" before the walls unglued. (Let the glue dry)
3. Trim the floor carpet to the walls. Leave ~1/2" gap.
4. Glue the carpet to the trim. Use a flat head screwdriver to shove the carpet in the trim. (Let the glue dry)
5. Glue the last remaining 12" down.
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Big Pappa Big Pappa wrote:

I do the opposite.

1. Install carpet on walls, trim it flush to the floor (after the glue dries).
2. Install the carpet on the floor, leave the last 12" before the walls unglued. (Let the glue dry)
3. Trim the floor carpet to the walls. Leave ~1/2" gap.
4. Glue the carpet to the trim. Use a flat head screwdriver to shove the carpet in the trim. (Let the glue dry)
5. Glue the last remaining 12" down.

Awesome, Thanks for the info!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 1:24am
I received a sample of the edge trim from the link I posted. I tried it on a scrap and it worked great, I'll try to post some pictures of the fit so you guys can see. The little lip bites into the carpet pretty well, I don't think it would need glueing.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 2:53am
Carpet supply houses have it, call a carpet store and find out where the installers get their glue or tack strip and then go there, our local supply house even stocks different colors
Thanks mike
I did not worry about leaving part of it unglued, did the sides and flush trimmed with floor, installed the trim up against edges using contact cement, and then installed floor carpet, then trim the carpet a hair bit long and tuck it in using a hawk bill or small chisel. Take your time small sections at a time and it will go great.
Mike
trim was around 1.00 a foot I think
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 2:57am

In the corner of the pic is the trim. This shows the sides carpeted without the trim.
Lakedog55
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 9:36am

I received a sample of the edge trim from the link I posted. I tried it on a scrap and it worked great, I'll try to post some pictures of the fit so you guys can see. The little lip bites into the carpet pretty well, I don't think it would need glueing.

Original? NO!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 10:53am
Mike - Where did you get the red carpet? Home Depot?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 1:14pm
no local carpet company, Home Depot gets enough money from everyone else
Lakedog55
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 1:15pm
I got my carpet from pontoonstuff.com. I was very pleased with the pricing and quality. Also free shipping.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Original? NO!!

I deal with enough purists on the BMW car and British motorcycle forums. This boat is a toy, not a collectors item to me. I think the edge trim I found looks neater, and provides a nice edge. Im also not on the ACBS forum, the boat will never be judged, much like a lot of the guys on these boards.
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 5:39pm
Good information here...considering replacing the carpeting and trim this summer. Just to clarify - is there a significant difference between 'marine grade' carpeting and outdoor carpeting?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by bsucics bsucics wrote:

Just to clarify - is there a significant difference between 'marine grade' carpeting and outdoor carpeting?

Not really, no. "Outdoor carpet" is usually pretty low grade stuff, but you can get low grade "marine carpet" too. Functionally, there is no difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic