Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - MV-1: Step-by-step teardown, clean and assemble.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MV-1: Step-by-step teardown, clean and assemble.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
mattfahey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattfahey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 1:03am
Sorry, I also looked at teh MV2 document in the reference section, just not sure which way the "throttle arm" (number 20 in the exploded diagram) connects, as it can be attached in 4 directions.
Matt - 1979 Mustang
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2012 at 4:07am
Chris - What happened to the photos in this thread?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2012 at 1:02pm
Kevin, they're back up now. Guess thats what I get for uploading them with my facebook account. They're uploaded in photobucket and should stay up now.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2012 at 6:04pm
Super. Thank you, Chris. Added this thread to the FAQ.
Corby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2013 at 10:09am
While I am waiting for the Clevis for my rudder to arrive I decided to look into why the throttle starts engaging before it shifts into gear. I have found some excellent descriptions of how to adjust these, so I will try that on the weekend. In the mean time I have disassembled the morse to give it an overhaul. The previous owner has operated on the "if some grease is good, more is better" principle and filled it up. It took me forever to clean it out!! so now its looking a lot nicer.. Which comes to the questions....
-how much grease do I need to put in upon reassembly?
-The "cam" looks fairly worn, how does it compare with others people have seen. Is this part available to give it a more crisp feel?
-The lever that attaches to the back of the morse looks "modified" (cut off). Is it shorter than factory?
Again Thanks in advance!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2013 at 1:56pm
I am not an expert but I'd say that your cam looks oddly worn. My MV-2, which is similar but not the same, didn't have that wear pattern at all. I do not believe that there are parts available for these controls unless you find a used one somewhere to scavenge for parts. I would grease things up with a good amount of white lithium grease, put it all back together and see how it works. You might be pleasantly surprised. If it is not satisfactory you may just need a new unit.

That arm you think is shortened looks relatively normal to me.
Corby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 10:40am
Hey Guys,
Started reinstalling the Morse today. I had read the posts explaining how to adjust the cables to avoid the engine increasing in revs before the gearbox engages. I tried the method described, ie. leave the cable detached at the carby end, move the lever so that the gearbox is in gear. At this point the throttle should still be at idle so the throttle cable should be adjusted so it can be connected at the in gear position without opening the throttle.
The problem I encountered is that when you pull the lever back to the neutral position it tries to close the throttle further putting a lot of strain on the throttle linkage. Cam anyone guide me further in how to adjust it correctly.
Previous to today it had been opening the throttle before engaging the gearbox, cause a harsh "clunk" into gear.
Thanks again!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 1:18pm
I need to do an update to my post above. In the last two weeks or so I discovered that when I installed my MV-2 into the boat, the leverage I was able to put on the throttle was easily able to over ride the safety on the throttle. If you look at the photos of my breakdown you'll notice how very worn the "TOP" piece is on my throttle. Since we can't seem to find a source for these anywhere I was considering just machining one of my own.

Then, I found something on eBay and last week I won a NOS MV-2. It arrived in it's original box yesterday and included an original set of pins, cotters, and mounting screws (this was a surprise since the auction only mentioned the mounting screws). I won't give away the price I paid, but it was a very good deal. I think this likely was because the seller noted it was set up for a left-hand installation. A quick check of the MV-2 owners manual confirmed that all that was needed to change to a right-hand configuration was to remove a set screw, flip the throttle over and presto - right hand configuration.

I sure wish there were a way to restore the "TOP" pieces, because that is the only thing needed to fix these parts to brand-new functionality. Well, that and the springs that break all the time.

My eBay win is below. I've since flipped around the throttle arm to the correct configuration. It also came with a neutral sensing electronic switch that is not needed, which I have removed:

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 3:37pm
Kevin:

I know exactly how much you paid....... you out bid me! It looks great.

I have an NOS MV-3 avail for $150 if you want to add to your collection!

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 3:50pm
Steve, PM sent.

Edit: My eyes were playing tricks on me. I thought your post said MV2.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 3:56pm
MV3? Never seen one on a CC.

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 4:09pm
Tim:
Correct as always - Non-OEM for CCs...... They are sold as replacements.... the guts are almost identical ...but the MV-3 has the swooshy look on the throttle arm and faceplate...... See above!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 4:20pm
White Lake offers those swooshy ones as replacements. I guess it's better than nothing.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 4:40pm
will an MV2 lever fit on an MV3 control?
This is the life
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 5:04pm
I think it should....I'll look.
BTW, Is it still NOS if it's disassembled? Ha!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Kevin:

I know exactly how much you paid....... you out bid me! It looks great.

I have an NOS MV-3 avail for $150 if you want to add to your collection!

Ha ha ha... I wondered if somebody else on here was the other serious bidder for it. Thankfully, we did not bid-war each other too much and one of us was still able to get a good deal. Before you jumped on there I was winning it with a bid of only $36!!! I knew that was too good to be true and wondered if it would even meet the reserve.

The next MV-2 on eBay is yours.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 6:38pm
What's kind of interesting is that first MV-2 went for big money, like over $250. Then, right after that, a couple more surfaced immediately. It's like a couple guys were like... hmmm... I have something like that sitting in the garage.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2013 at 2:00am
Brian - I thought the same thing. Hopefully more guys with a few of these lying around will let them go to those of us who need them!
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2013 at 2:10am
I've got an MV-1 in good shape that I could let go..... but I am pretty proud of it!
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 5:41pm
Awesome post, Chris.

I second (third? fourth?) setting up a "How To" forum, to reduce the searching. The experts on this site can determine which threads should make it into the How To.

Thanks.

Steve
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 9:02pm
Steve,

Here is the Correct Craft Fan Frequently Asked Questions. It disappears off the front page and I have to bump it up now and then. Thanks for the reminder.

CCF FAQ
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 8:25am
The release lever thing does not work on my boat (black "cup" under knob). I can move the selector into gear without having to pull up on the release thing. Not sure if the PO messed this up when he replaced the throttle cable. Any idea what I should be looking for to make this function properly again?
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 8:40am
PM Zach at N# Boatworks. He has a replacement lever. They are hard to find.

Some guys have successfully replaced the spring, but on mine the pawl was too rounded off to work, so I replaced the lever.

It is a great safety device, worth the cost of repair. Cheaper than a funeral for sure.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 10:20am
The release lever moves up and down, but it doesn't appear to be locking anything in place. Not sure if the lever is bad or if something was simply not installed correctly. I'll have to check the exploded diagram to see how this thing works I guess.

If I take it apart, I'll post some pics. I would like to have this fixed.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 10:39am
JP,
The culprit just may be the spring. 1st- do this-- There's an allen screw on the bottom of the throttle. Leave the throttle in the upright position, loosen this set screw, and take the arm off. Then look at the guts there on the backside of the throttle arm . You'll see the locking paddle and a spring. You'll see how it comes apart- a roll pin I think. The spring should be about 3/4"-1" long. This spring if broken- take it to your neighborhood hardware and find one close. I think I got some that were 2" in length and cut them in half.
If this spring is broken- take pics to show us- and if you can't find a spring- let me know and I'll send ya one.

Or fly me down and I'll fix it for ya !!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 11:27am
Thanks Marty. I'll take pics on Sunday when I am working on the boat. I am installing a new fuel/water separator and changing out the trans fluid.

I sent the Correctcraft dash plaque to you earlier this week. If you didn't get it yet, it should be there shortly.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 11:31am
Yes- it arrived on Wednesday. I'll get it to my plaque guy and see what he can do.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 11:48am
Sounds good.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 1:20pm
I bet your spring is broken. Do that before trying to find a replacement lever part.

Zach @ N3 - do you really have replacement parts for the little piece that locks the lever in place (the part that says "TOP" on it)?

catamount View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catamount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 12:35pm
Great thread! I disassembled my MV-1 last year in order to clean and lube it up. While apart, I also powder coated it using a home setup. It's a great feeling when your throttle control works as new again!

Before:

Internals:

Cleaning:

Blasting the cover in my old blast cabinet:

Applied semi-gloss black powder using hobbyist powder coat gun:

Into my "powder coat oven" (a freebie from Craigslist... do not use your cooking oven for this!):

All done!

1987 MC ProStar 190
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic