Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tranny slipping or something else?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
81CC View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tranny slipping or something else?
    Posted: September-14-2005 at 11:47pm
Hi guys. Just bought my first inboard, an 81 CC Southwind. We had been running it fine for several days, and were out yesterday when we "lost" forward gear. Reverse works fine, but put it in forward and it won't go any faster than it would at idle. Tried to rev it and the motor revs but prop must not be spinning? We were able to idle back with what little forward gear we had and trailered it. Fluid was fine. I know you're not supposed to do this, but we ran it BRIEFLY (with a flusher) to see if the prop was spinning like it should at higher RPM's, and it spun fine (out of the water). Any ideas? I can maybe describe it better if I need to. Thanks in advance for any help.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2005 at 12:46am
Have you looked at the gear lever (on the tranny) where the control cable connects?
You can see if it moves to the three correct positions....that will tell you if the control box and cable set up is working .
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2005 at 1:00am
I guess your saying it is engaging in forward...but under load , not not spinning faster that forward idle...right? You are getting some forward thrust though?
stang

The Super Air

81CC View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2005 at 1:18am
stang,

Yeah the linkage looks fine as it shifts. It IS engaging forward at idle, but then won't spin faster even when the engine revs.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2005 at 1:47am
If it's more than something simple...others on the site will be of more help...hang in there and you will get responses!
As far as simple trouble shooters...check linkage to see that forward clutch FULLY engauges...and PROPERLY check level!
The level should be checked when boat is in water and after warmed up(cold readings can be misleading)....check immediately after shutting engine off. on a 1..23;1 tranny, level should be on the full mark of the dip stick. 1:1 tranny ,level should be to the top of the flattened side 1/2" above full.
Just wanted to be sure your checking it right! Low fluid level can cause malfunction in just one position.
stang

The Super Air

79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2005 at 12:19pm
disconnect the cable from the tranny lever and move it manually all the way in the forward direction and see if you have the same problem, if so them you are going to have to re-build the tranny.
CC81 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CC81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2005 at 5:25pm
A buddy of mine suggested making sure the shaft isn't just spinning in the coupler. It's not; all that stuff is tight.

Anything else possible besides a rebuild? Any ideas why it would've happened in the first place?
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2005 at 6:28pm
Same thing happened to me - it was a rolled key way in the coupler then the set screws let go. I had the shaft and cplr reworked at a local machine shop that all the marine guy's use. LOOK FOR THAT - good luck
ABE
81CC View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2005 at 12:00am
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, the coupler is fine, and I think I'm looking at a rebuild. Anybody got suggestions for that?
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2005 at 12:32am
I'm in the process of starting in on my trans. I'll post updates on what goes on under http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2402&PN=1
located on the General Forum. I'll probably start anew thread once I get under way
Bob Ed
83 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic