Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions on this 85 2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
00cls1camaross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on this 85 2001
    Posted: December-10-2011 at 3:53pm
Hey everyone,

I came across this on CList here in Phoenix. The guy sent me about 20 pictures of it and from what I can see, it seems pretty clean. I am looking to get some CCF opinions.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/2739782237.html

Thanks,
Dakota
2002 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
33 x 12.50s, BBK, Cranked
2000 Camaro SS
Cam, Slicks, Boltons, Stall
1985 Ski Nautique
MT1, Board Rack, ACME 542
Future:Stereo, Wrap, Girls

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 3:55pm
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/2739782237.html

2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 6:55pm
Looks like a nice boat. Not a bad price. Take it for a test ride and offer him 4000.00
83Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 8:17pm
Do you think 4,000 is reasonable?

Does the rear seat look normal to you? To me, the seating in the front looks like deluxe seating and the rear is some sort of fake bench.
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 9:16pm
Yes the rear removable seat cushion is quite normal.

The rear facing, not fully seated ring and finger would be the non-normallity.
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 1:35am
I know of a 84 that sold for 3000.00 that was in good shape. You never know. Start low and work it.
83Ski
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 12:57pm
Dakota,

Welcome. That boat looks clean. The backwards ski pylon (easily fixed) is funny. Maybe you can point that out to the seller.

However, beauty CAN be only skin-deep. To find out use the checklist from this thread.

I've cut-and-paste the important parts here. Do this BEFORE you buy. And of course, you need to give it a run on the water before buying.

Kevin

Pre-Purchase Checklist
1992 And Earlier Correct Craft Boats

Most information for this article was taken from the PlanetNautique forums.
Forum member M3Fan’s information in THIS THREAD is widely used here.

If you’re considering the purchase of a Ski Nautique 2001 (Produced from 1982 – 1989), or another older Correct Craft, this article will give you some general information about things that you should check for before making your purchase. This article is not meant to include all items that should be checked during a used boat pre-purchase inspection. It is meant to point out possible trouble areas in older Correct Crafts. These checks should be performed along with any other necessary inspections when looking over a used boat.

All 2001 series Correct Crafts used wood in their construction, which can deteriorate over time if not kept in check. Well-maintained boats can still be found showing no signs of problems related to the wood used in their construction, but it is always a good idea to check the items listed below if you’re considering a 2001, or another Correct Craft built before 1993. Correct Craft stopped using wood in their construction in 1993.

The following steps should be completed
when inspecting a Pre-1993 Correct Craft for purchase:

* Open the engine cover, and you'll notice hex-head bolts, probably about 4 on each side, running parallel to the engine on the edge of the floor, on the edge of the engine compartment. These are lag bolts screwed right into the wooden stringers. Bring a socket wrench with you and try to tighten each one. They should still bite into the wood well. If they spin freely, the boat probably has some deterioration of the wood in the stringers.

These bolts also continue to the back of the boat under a removable floor piece that covers the prop shaft. Spin those also. Engine mount bolts are also a good indicator, as these attach to wooden mounts as well.

* Walk around on the floor and feel for soft spots. This isn't as big a deal as the stringers, but is still a big job to fix.

* Often when you see a boat with a replaced engine, it's due to improper winterization. When I was shopping around, almost every early 90's SN I came upon in the north had a new engine or short block.

* Drive the boat! The engine should idle smoothly and run hard up to 4400 rpm on the water.

* Make sure the oil pan isn't too rusty- replacing this involves removing the engine from the boat.

* Look in the bilge for fresh oil spots, as this could be a sign of leakage.

* The transmission should shift smoothly, and transmission oil should be clean. The transmissions on these boats are fairly expensive to replace.

* TALK to the seller. Have them describe parts of the boat and feel out their personality. This can tell you how well the boat was taken care of while they owned it.

* The prop should spin smoothly with minor resistance when turned by hand. Position yourself directly behind the propeller, and spin it by hand. Check to be sure the shaft spins smoothly. Any deviation could indicate a bent shaft.

* Electronic ignition is a good thing, although not offered from the factory on these boats. You may want to look for one that has been converted.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 1:59pm
That looks like an exceptional condition boat, and the $6900 asking price reflects the owners belief that it is exceptional. I think you would love this boat on the water.They have a hot roddy exhaust and turn on a dime.
My only reservation about this deal is that you can get a newer CC, next generation 90's boat for this price. It's a slightly larger,roomier, more modern looking boat (especially the dash) that has a quiet exhaust system.
So it depends on what you want, they're both great boats, just different.
I restored a 1987 last summer that I gave to my daughter, and just finished a 1990, so this is from recent personal experience.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 2:52pm
She is a buyer..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 3:32pm
Weigh the boat. Weigh it, weigh, it, weigh it.

That was the only thing that convinced me my boat was a good one in terms of saturated foam.

Otherwise, do your due diligence. Drive it, examine the trailer, look for leaks, etc. Be thorough. Beauty can really be only skin deep with these boats...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 1:29am
Thanks for everyone's help.

What is the deal with the ski pylon being the wrong way? Would this indicate anything?

I am looking for a 2001 SN because I want to wakeboard with this boat and I really love the look of this boat. I'm sure some of you would not be happy with the plans I have for the boat .

Thanks for the write up on what to check. I am going to take this check list with me when I look at the boat.

I spoke with the owner and he seemed very kind. I asked him if I could tow it to a weigh station and check the wait for the water logged foam and if I can take it to the lake and drive it around. He was fine with both.

What is the weight range I should I be looking for?

Thanks for everyone's help.
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 1:32am
I have some more pictures of this boat if you would like to see anything else.
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 10:29am
Nice one. The ring and finger are bacards cuse someone slipped a fly high pole over the pylon - I bet?
If I was looking for another 2001 I'd be all over it.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 11:27am
I think the dry weight on that boat would be around 2300 pounds. Plus the trailer (900-1000) and account for any fuel in the tank ( I would say 250 for a full tank). So I would say you are looking around 3500lbs I would think if it was over 3600 it probably has some wet foam. Anyone else feel free to correct if I am off on any numbers.
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 11:31am
For somebody wakeboarding the 2001 is the only option in this price range, the newer 90's are not what you are looking for.
If it drives well is in good condition and not full of water then its the perfect boat for you.
I bought one in the UK a few months back and could not be happier with the drive and wake, even unweighted its great with a really nice shape and will get better and better with some extra weight.

There is always room for negotiations on the price if the seller actually want's to shift it.

Good luck
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 12:55pm
Check out this thread.
I weighed my 1984 SN2001 to be 2765 lbs. The brochure says 2400 lbs.

And in this thread you will see how much wet foam and wood I removed. After going through this, I would say a lot of my extra weight was due to saturated foam and wood. My stringers are full of water, some of the foam was absolutely dripping, and the floor had some standing water.

However, 365 lbs of water would be 43 gallons. I certainly didn't have 43 gallons of extra water in there. I would say more like 8 or 9.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 1:56pm
Isn't 2350/2400lbs the dry weight for a 2001? and by dry I mean with no fuel and no battery ? Then there is the extra for the trailer.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2011 at 10:40pm
2500 pounds is the quoted dry weight a 1986 2001.

It's unclear whether that includes any deluxe seating or not...that's important.

FWIW, here are the figures I had when I weighed my boat back in August. I did NOT take into account the stereo, amp, and 4 speakers OR the deluxe seating. That's probably another 150 pounds or so:

Quote So, today I had the boat + trailer and just the trailer weighed.

Boat + Trailer = 3,820 pounds
Trailer Only = 940 pounds

Boat only weight = 2,880 pounds.

Here are the figures I used for fluids:

167.5 pounds for fuel
50 pounds for the battery
9 pounds for oil/filter (5 quarts)
16.6 pounds for cooling water (2 gallons)

Total 243.1 pounds.

2880 - 243.1 = 2636.9 pounds.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2011 at 12:24am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

2500 pounds is the quoted dry weight a 1986 2001.

It's unclear whether that includes any deluxe seating or not...that's important.

FWIW, here are the figures I had when I weighed my boat back in August. I did NOT take into account the stereo, amp, and 4 speakers OR the deluxe seating. That's probably another 150 pounds or so:

Quote So, today I had the boat + trailer and just the trailer weighed.

Boat + Trailer = 3,820 pounds
Trailer Only = 940 pounds

Boat only weight = 2,880 pounds.

Here are the figures I used for fluids:

167.5 pounds for fuel
50 pounds for the battery
9 pounds for oil/filter (5 quarts)
16.6 pounds for cooling water (2 gallons)

Total 243.1 pounds.

2880 - 243.1 = 2636.9 pounds.

So minus 136 pounds for the stereo etc that puts you right at 2500 dry. So I guess 3700 would be a good benchmark depending on the amount of fuel in the tank. I am guessing 167 lbs of fuel would be somewhere around 2/3 of a tank?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2011 at 1:42am
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

So minus 136 pounds for the stereo etc that puts you right at 2500 dry. So I guess 3700 would be a good benchmark depending on the amount of fuel in the tank. I am guessing 167 lbs of fuel would be somewhere around 2/3 of a tank?

Yeah...somewhere around that. If I recall correctly, the fuel gauge was between 3/4 and full...around 27 gallons or so.

I guessed on ALL of the weights I listed. But suffice to say, I was very happy to learn that my boat was right where it should be. It was then I was comfortable buying it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2011 at 2:59am
I will let everyone know how it goes after I meet him on saturday
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2011 at 11:17am
it seems like an awful lot of rounding up or down and factoring guess work. it seems like it wouldnt be hard to wrongly figure the boat to be holding 8 gal of water , or just as easily miss 8 gal of water... why not just look at the boat and its condition like you would a used car. look at the care it seemed to be given , the cracking or lack of . it not that hard to tell a boat that isnt original or is abused .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 2:00am
Update, I saw this boat in person and it was amazing.

The hull has no cracking, a few small scratches, and some scratching where it meets the bunks and that is it. The interior needs to reupholster the observer seat and carpet. I felt the entire floor and it was hard. I hit the stringers with my flashlight and they sounded solid. I lifted up the back section of the floor and there were no cracks around the exhaust.

The entire bilge area was clean as could be.

I offered him 5500 and he said he wouldn't go lower than 6500 hundred. I think I am going to take it for a test drive on Sunday or monday and see if he will take 6000.

I did notice the trailer had a good amount of rust on the leaf springs. Is there any problem with that?

More updates to follow
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 2:15am
No big deal on the springs,they aren't painted very good,they flex and rub together and you submerge them.Eventually you have to replace them anyway. Check the titles on both,wave 6 big ones under his nose,good luck and have fun!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2011 at 5:52pm
I am going to drive it today at the lake. We agreed on a price of 6700 dollars.

I get the boat, his extended pylon, the bimini top for the pylon, and a few life jackets.

I will let you all know how the drive goes. I am excited to join the club!!!!!!
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2011 at 7:09pm
Congratulations, a nice New Years gift if all goes well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00cls1camaross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 12:09am
We test drove the boat today. It ran pretty good.

There were a couple of things I was concerned about. We managed to get the engine temp up to 220 degrees when it was idling after about 15 to 20 minutes at 4,000 rpm. He said the impeller had not been changed in 4 or 5 years.

Also, when we clicked the the blower and or the lights the voltage dropped about 1-2 volts.

They guy said it had not been in the lake since march, I was pretty sketched out running that thing on old gas but it seemed fine. I was about to go about 42 mph although the water was rough.

Anyone have any clue what the engine temp thing could be or the voltage drop?
2000 Camaro SS
1985 Ski Nautique
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 1:34am
The temp may be a little low. I normally run at 240 when fully warmed up. You may just need a new thermostat. Also, did you actually measure the voltage drop, or just see the volt meter drop when you turned the switches on? That seems normal. Lastly, 42 mph seems about right, depending on the prop. It sounds like a pretty healthy boat that may just need some fresh gas, new thermostat, and tune. Based on your description of it, and the pictures, I would go for it.   
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 2:20am
Thats not right Dave,water boils at 212,and these are open systems.A closed system like your car has the coolant under pressure raising the boiling temp.It should run at what the thermostat is,160 is for fuel injection,140 for carb.
Get her home change all the fluids,pull the raw water pump change the impeller and go from there.An infrared thermometer like these are nice to trouble shoot with.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 2:25am
[QUOTE=00cls1camaross]
Also, when we clicked the the blower and or the lights the voltage dropped about 1-2 volts.
QUOTE]

I think this is a symptom of the main feed wire to the dash. I believe it's on the small size and as it ages the resistance goes up.The cure is a new larger size wire.Try a search
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic