NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Rotation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Rotation
    Posted: November-29-2011 at 6:17pm
Hey guys, there may be an answer here but I can't find it. Is there any way to determine the rotation of my 351W without the starter?????

I have a 351W I want to rebuild but the PO was not a boater and came across this boat and it will not run. I am skeptical that he may have installed a standard rotation starter and that is why I can't get it to fire at all. It has a 1:1 Velvet drive tranny.

Please help.

Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 6:20pm
what year? what is the firing order on the engine tag? I think you can also tell by the prop.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 6:24pm
Found this info on the order. this is for the 351 WINDSOR – Standard firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 the RR firing order is 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3.
Cant confirm this but my engine is reverse and it matches the listed RR order.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 6:32pm
I kinda of feel like an idiot myself. I just found a breakdown of the model number and firing order and this engine is indeed a reverse rotation.

However when the starter is engaged the crankshaft turns clockwise looking aft at the front of the engine which would make the flywheel turn counter-clockwise looking forward at the flywheel. Everything I have read describes this rotation as standard. So I guess the PO installed the wrong starter.

Am I looking at this the right way????

Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

Found this info on the order. this is for the 351 WINDSOR – Standard firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 the RR firing order is 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3.
Cant confirm this but my engine is reverse and it matches the listed RR order.

Thanks man, I also just found this and you have the same firing order as mine. Again thanks.

Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 6:38pm
A '77 Ski Nautique should have had a reverse rotation (RH) engine from the factory. If its a PCM, you can confirm this with the ID tag- the 1st letter will be P, the 2nd will either be L (LH) or R (RH). The prop is a good clue as well- as viewed from behind (looking forward), a RH engine will turn a RH prop. The definitive answer is to pull the distributor cap and see which way the rotor spins while cranking the starter. Both LH and RH engines will spin the rotor counter-clockwise. If its turning clockwise, then youre turning the engine backwards and your suspicion about the incorrect starter would be confirmed.

As viewed from the front of the engine looking backwards, a RH engine will make the pulleys spin counterclockwise. LH, clockwise.

If you confirm that you need a new starter, then make sure you get a MARINE starter, and that it is the proper rotation. A reverse rotation Ford Windsor needs a "counter clockwise" (CCW) starter. You should be able to find one for ~$150.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by HatterBee HatterBee wrote:

I kinda of feel like an idiot myself. I just found a breakdown of the model number and firing order and this engine is indeed a reverse rotation.

However when the starter is engaged the crankshaft turns clockwise looking aft at the front of the engine which would make the flywheel turn counter-clockwise looking forward at the flywheel. Everything I have read describes this rotation as standard. So I guess the PO installed the wrong starter.

Am I looking at this the right way????

Allen

Uhh lets see this can get confusing the starting gear should be turning the opposite direction of the starting gear. So if standing in the front looking back the pulleys should be turning counterclockwise so should the flywheel. which means (although you cant see it from this angle the starter should be turning clockwise). I am sitting at my desk drawing circles in the air with my fingers right now. Someone jump in if I am wrong.

All of my directional references are standing in front of the engine looking aft.
Is the starter hooked up now? If so it should be turning your pulleys if they are going clockwise standing in front looking aft, this is backwards.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 6:52pm
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 7:01pm
If youre getting confused, use the distributor cap/rotor trick I mentioned above.

$92 CCW starter for a RH Ford marine engine
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If youre getting confused, use the distributor cap/rotor trick I mentioned above.

$92 CCW starter for a RH Ford marine engine

Even better, 92 free shipping!
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 7:15pm
You guys are awesome!!!! Thanks

Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic