NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TRAILER FIT

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
verdi1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verdi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAILER FIT
    Posted: October-26-2011 at 9:15pm
I have an 84' SN and looking to get a used nautique trailer. Is there a rule of thumb for boat to trailer fit? IE 2001 Ramlin trailer, 95 Ramlin will any of these work for my 84' SN?

This is a little harder than trying on a new pair of shoes!

Thanks for any help.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 12:25am
I'll look and see if I have any pictures of Joe's 83 sitting on a Ramlin trailer. It worked fine for his trip to Wisconsin and back, but they aren't made for each other by any means. You'll have to be careful not to get the prop into the bunks since the trailer is a little long for the boat.

verdi1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verdi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 11:16am
I thought that may be the case, but I am certainly up for modifying one to fit mine better. I have a 78' SN trailer under it right now but I had to weld angle brackets to the channel to raise the bunks 2-1/2" clearing the fenders. It fits ok, a bit short and high for me though. Looking through some of the diaries it seems some of the factory trailers come out all the way to the rear but a lot stop fairly short.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 11:39am
Trying to use a trailer not built for your hull can be a tricky proposition, as you discovered. Length (as it affects weight distribution), width of the bunks and fenders, hull clearance of the cross members, weight capacity, etc, all come into play.

Ski Nautique/196 trailers from 1990-2009 should all be interchangeable. Changes to the hull were in detail only- the size remained 19'6" x 91" during those years. Correct Craft made their own trailers through ~1995, after which they sold the operation to RamLin... all changes to the trailer design were very evolutionary though.

As Joe has shown, the 2001 hull fits on a newer trailer (I think his is a ~1994 CC). The bunks are a bit wide in back, and the fenders are a bit wider than they need to be, but the boat fits and doesnt fall off. A trailer meant for a 2001 (1982-1989) would be better though.

Ive seen a newer Ski Nautique (~1997 TSC) on a 2001 trailer and it seemed to fit without any major issues. Not sure if the tongue weight was acceptable though.

Good to know that a 2nd gen SN #3 trailer doesnt fit a 2001 very well... thanks for being the guinea pig!

Some company tried making new trailers in the old CC trailer image a few years ago. I dont think it was a very successful venture. You can find a used trailer out there if you look hard enough, and the older trailers are hard to destroy... so theyre usually restorable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic