NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Surging and Detonation

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 10:14am
and if he ever does decide to have me fix, he will bring his own parts that he scabbed somewhere off the internet
"the things you own will start to own you"
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

and if he ever does decide to have me fix, he will bring his own parts that he scabbed somewhere off the internet

Now that has me laughing!

The renew kit, carb to intake gaskets (x2) have been ordered, and the secondary diaphragm for my carb has been ordered. I re-torqued the bolts on both fuel bowls since they were very loose. The carb to intake bolts were tight. Might be a little while until I find the results, but will definitely post if it gets done before the big freeze.

The shop teacher at my school said he would have no problem rebuilding the carb for me. Very nice guy...just got back from Afghanistan right before school started. Very appreciative for all he has done for our country and if any of you have served you have my warmest thanks and utmost respect!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2011 at 9:12am
I know he wont except money from you, so make sure you bring him a pie or something nice when he's done with the carb
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2011 at 11:46am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I know he wont except money from you, so make sure you bring him a pie or something nice when he's done with the carb

Pie? I think some adult beverages will do the trick! Of course, they will not be brought on school grounds...I like my job!

I would like an opinion or two on this: With layup looming in a few weeks, should I wait to have the carb rebuilt while the boat is in layup so that fresh gas will be used in the spring? I figure that I don't want a fresh, rebuilt carb to sit with gas (even treated) over the winter. Or will treated gas be okay for the layup? Please keep in mind I still have 3/4 of a tank of untreated 91 octane fuel since early July.

FYI: I should have the renew kit by early / middle of next week. Depending on our weather (it has been pretty cold lately, today's high is a balmy 59 degrees), I may have approximately 3-4 weeks left before it starts getting really cold at night. I do not have a heated garage, so I need to winterize before it gets into the 20's.
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2011 at 11:36pm
That isn't the original carb. We have a 1992 Surpa Comp Ts6m with the pro boss ho engine and it has the pro-tech ignition. The carb on ours has a different fuel line setup for higher fuel flow, you could be running out of fuel.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2011 at 11:00am
meant to say some pie, lol
should be able to verify the carb by the horn numbers, anythings possible
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2011 at 7:34pm
Okay I beat the rain this morning and had a chance to get the boat out with a mechanic friend. We changed the plugs and gapped them to .045. I had tightened up both fuel bowls and they were not leaking so we watched closely when attempting to run it.

The boat started right up and idled great. We took it out into deeper water and I eased on the throttle. This time, it almost instantly bogged when given throttle. We repeated the process 2 more times and she backfired like crazy both times. We then shut her down and checked everything over.

Since everything looked good, we fired it up and gave it a little fast idle while my buddy sprayed carb cleaner around the intake and spacer to see if we were leaking vacuum...nothing showing. I said, "Okay, let me just hammer down on her and see what we get."

I hammered down on her and she jumped out of the water speeding up to 45 mph with ease. One small hesitation that was barely noticeable. No popping, no decreased speed and shaking, nothing. I throttled down and looked at my buddy in disbelief. We continued testing it for the next hour taking it through all the paces. We even let her idle for about 5 minutes to see if she would "load up." Nothing. Ran awesome!!

Here is his thoughts. Sticking power valve when we first started going. Hammering throttle got it unstuck and it freed itself.

Got the rebuild kit today. I will wait until winter to have carb rebuilt. Crossing my fingers that there might be some upper 70's left this year.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2011 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

What you have ruled out is the antisyphon valve, not a fuel issue yet, if the carb is clogged, it MAY or MAY NOT clear , mostly it wont. So I'd be ordering a rebuild kit.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2011 at 10:54pm
Well threw some new plugs in her and got 2.5mph which is still slow and could just be a bit choppier water and the lack of the bimini.   ProTec is back on the chopping block for the winter. I had high hopes the plugs might work, the wife has given the OK for a Wetsounds upgrade for the tower, I guess it won't be quite as loud now. Lol. Plugs needed to go anyway 300hrs is plenty and only spent $20 inculing the 4 that fell in the lake while I was getting the cover off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic