NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Surging and Detonation

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Reassure yourself and your boss that you didn't get a lemon; really. All you have is a few maintence issues to catch up with. The condition of the plugs says they may have been there a while and so forth.

Don't be upset...just hang around here a while and we'll get you fixed up. Warning, some have cited addiction issues with this site...and you may just catch yourself doing extra maitenance in the future just 'cause you enjoy it.

From here, we'll try to help you eliminate potential problems.

Thanks Buffalo and I relayed the info to "the boss"! I will definitely be the addicted kind! I loved working on the c3 corvette and will probably be doing the same with my new toy. I definitely appreciate all the help I can get from you guys. That is why I came here and not to any other forums...you guys are the best!
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2011 at 11:01pm
Bad news guys. Tried the auxiliary tank with premium non-ethanol and the problem's persist. Got her warmed up, eased her into 3/4 throttle, went about 40-50 yards, and motor bogged down and started shaking. Backed off the throttle to idle, tried again, same result. Took some video and will try to post on youtube for all to see. Crazy thing though, the 2nd video I took she ran like a top so I shut off the video. Shortly after, she did it again. Then died and couldn't get her restarted...might just have been the pick up tube in the auxiliary tank not getting anymore gas because I tipped the tank on it's side and she finally started back up and I idled her to the dock.

So, fuel doesn't seem to be the issue. What's next?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2011 at 11:23pm
How much fuel did you have???

What you have ruled out is the antisyphon valve, not a fuel issue yet, if the carb is clogged, it MAY or MAY NOT clear, mostly it wont. So I'd be ordering a rebuild kit.

One more question, did you ran the boat with low fuel on the tank after you bought it? Or you always kept it topped?

kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2011 at 11:27pm
Here are the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuxU0dDIzlg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeMODl6uiIs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-xMPOdLr5U
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2011 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

How much fuel did you have???

What you have ruled out is the antisyphon valve, not a fuel issue yet, if the carb is clogged, it MAY or MAY NOT clear, mostly it wont. So I'd be ordering a rebuild kit.

One more question, did you ran the boat with low fuel on the tank after you bought it? Or you always kept it topped?

I filled up a 5 gal tank. I was out for approximately and hour trying to figure things out. I still have about 2 gal. left in tank, but the hose may have been curled inside the tank.

PO said carb was rebuilt approx. 200 hrs ago. Might be a poor job?

I haven't owned the boat long enough to even have gone through the original full tank of gas already in the boat. It currently is at 3/4 of a tank.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2011 at 11:45pm
Thought about taking carb cleaner, but didn't remember until after I left for the launch. Any thoughts on using some?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 12:25am
Running a can through the tank would be a waste of money.   Get a gallon & a big bucket to put the carb pcs in overnight.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 12:30am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Running a can through the tank would be a waste of money.   Get a gallon & a big bucket to put the carb pcs in overnight.

I meant shooting cleaner through the barrels while it is running, not dumping some in the tank.

So you think I should pull the carb and let it soak overnight? Do you think it is a piece of debris that is getting stuck at WOT?
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 1:32am
I'm thinking about those plugs. I think someone said the protech can't be tested? That sux.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 10:45am
KV - There really is no shortcut that will help - most of them will just make it worse.

In order to clean a carb, you will need to disassemble the carb & soak the sections in cleaner. Blow out all passages with comp. air. Reassemble with new kit.   

There are many nuances on this, search for & read posts from people who have blazed this trail before.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 2:15pm
I'll chime in because my ProTec seems to be on it's last leg. I have similar hrs and mine has never given me any trouble, but as the summer has gone on I seem to be a little down on the power. This past weekend we put 15 or 20 hrs on the boat at an event where we had the boat fully loaded with people the whole time. It the first time I can remember running out of power to get out of the hole.   The boat was still as quick as all the big 24fters there, but I had nothing left when people asked, most didn't notice though.

My ProTec seems to just be getting weak, no sputtering or other issues. Best speed I could manage unloaded this weekend was 41 with the bimini up and 300 lbs of lead in the bow. Both those things aren't helping and I'm going to give her a run this week without them this week to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.   I didn't notice any increased fuel use, and RPM's stayed within reason of what we usually run which is why I'm suspecting weak spark.

You my have 2 issues both fuel and ignition.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 2:48pm
Don, maybe it would be a good time to inspect your plugs? I'm wondering if they might be like those posted.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 3:02pm
KV, Is the sputtering happening while you're up on plane and going along, or more as you juice it out of the hole?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 3:12pm
not given! I will sound like pete, in this forum we like to call us by our real names, more than the screen names.

I would concentrate on the fuel system, carb, check if your pump is producing enough pressure, also for debris in the carb.

Future work: take a look on the exhaust manifold to riser gasket, they are leaking water, so they need to be replaced, that leak can be also to the inside and put water inside the engine!

You still own the vette?
I have a 73 coupe L82 manual

keep us updated with your findings
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 3:22pm
Plugs have a few hrs on them, I pulled them mid summer and they were pretty even. Certainly couldn't hurt though, they have a few hundred hrs and will be replaced anyway with the ProTec. I figure the ProTec is living on borrowed time, with over 900hrs so it's on the winter project list.   I'd rather do on my time than to loose a bunch of water time during the summer.   I've also got a bit of an itch for a little hp upgrade to so I'll probably throw in a cam and and intake while I'm at it and have everything apart.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

KV, Is the sputtering happening while you're up on plane and going along, or more as you juice it out of the hole?

It seems to happen as the boat gets to higher RPM's...say 2600-3000 or so. Usually when I hole shot, it won't sputter until the boat is almost up on plane....but sometimes I can get it up and going and it won't happen until already on plane for a couple seconds.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 8:01pm
Ok, I was just curious if it might have been an accelerator pump issue, it sounds like no on that.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

not given! I will sound like pete, in this forum we like to call us by our real names, more than the screen names.

I would concentrate on the fuel system, carb, check if your pump is producing enough pressure, also for debris in the carb.

Future work: take a look on the exhaust manifold to riser gasket, they are leaking water, so they need to be replaced, that leak can be also to the inside and put water inside the engine!

You still own the vette?
I have a 73 coupe L82 manual

keep us updated with your findings

I apologize if I offended anyone with their screen names it was not my intent!

I would like to rule other things out before taking apart the carb--I'd have someone else rebuild since I'm not confident in doing it myself. Therefore, how do I check the pump? "Check the carb for debris" Do you mean look down the bores?

I did notice the manifold/riser leaking. It appears they both are and will need to be replaced. When I tested yesterday, there did not appear to be any leaking when it was running.

I sold the vette to buy the boat. I now am second-guessing that decision! It was an L-48 auto that was in the family since the 80's. Not sure I should have let her go after all this stuff!
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 8:07pm

Or did you mean me?

Hello! My name is Kevin

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 8:11pm
I sold a pretty mint Harley to buy my boat, sometimes miss it too, but sometimes it's hard to have all the toys. I've been getting a lot more use out of the boat, and family and friends can join in.

I think you'll love your boat once you get this sorted. If that fuel sat around since July 4th, I'm guessing it's the source of a lot of your issues.

Try adding some Starbrite Startron to your tank, see if that helps matters. Send some detailed pics of your carb if you can. The only thing you can really check easily is the inlet screen, where the line goes into the carb. Make sure you use a flare end (aka line) wrench to undo any brass fittings.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 8:18pm

I sold a pretty mint Harley to buy my boat, sometimes miss it too, but sometimes it's hard to have all the toys. I've been getting a lot more use out of the boat, and family and friends can join in.

I think you'll love your boat once you get this sorted. If that fuel sat around since July 4th, I'm guessing it's the source of a lot of your issues.

Try adding some Starbrite Startron to your tank, see if that helps matters. Send some detailed pics of your carb if you can. The only thing you can really check easily is the inlet screen, where the line goes into the carb. Make sure you use a flare end (aka line) wrench to undo any brass fittings.

I hear you about not being able to have all the toys! The reason we went to a boat is because My family of 4 cannot fit in a two seater! Plus, my wife and I are both teachers and so we will have lots of family time out on the boat...pending the things runs!

I added some HEET to the tank, but ran the aux. tank yesterday and it still did not want to run right. Either there is something in the carb clogging things up or there is spark issues.

I did check the inlet screen. It had nothing stuck to it at all. I changed the fuel/water separator as well.

I will post some pics of the carb this evening.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 8:28pm
Also, if you decide to have the carb looked into, keep a close eye on the cost of having someone rebuild the carb vs. just getting a brand new one.

It's not terribly hard for a do-it-your-self-er to remove and replace the carb, so you could find that it's not much more for you to just put on your own brand new one.

Checking the fuel pump pressure is a little tricky in my opinion. It involves t-ing in a gauge, which seems tricky unless you're really handy with manipulating metal fuel lines.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 8:36pm
Kevin, no offence lol...

debris in carb as for taking appart the primary bowl and looking for some crude in there floating around....your sympthom looks to appear randomly?
Easy check, just need to have spare gasket (blue ones) to put it back toghether.

engine sounds good.
Just normal issues of unused boats..
you will have it sort in no time and will enjoy your boat!!

I totally understand the family and vette thing! lol I have 2 kids so its definetely not a family car! I´ve considered streching it and adding 2 more seats or trading it for a camaro or Mopar of that era...but man the vette is nice!

kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 8:54pm

Also, if you decide to have the carb looked into, keep a close eye on the cost of having someone rebuild the carb vs. just getting a brand new one.

It's not terribly hard for a do-it-your-self-er to remove and replace the carb, so you could find that it's not much more for you to just put on your own brand new one.

Checking the fuel pump pressure is a little tricky in my opinion. It involves t-ing in a gauge, which seems tricky unless you're really handy with manipulating metal fuel lines.

I have a friend (ex-student) who went to school at Wyotech to be a marine mechanic. I think I'd have him rebuild the carb if he said he could do it. Much cheeper!

Removing the carb is easy-peasy. Taking the carb apart is easy, too. Putting it all back together AND within specs is not my specialty!

As for a T-ing in a guage...not something I'd want to do. Would I have to use the metal line or could I replace with rubber fuel line?
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 9:03pm

Kevin, no offence lol...

debris in carb as for taking appart the primary bowl and looking for some crude in there floating around....your sympthom looks to appear randomly?
Easy check, just need to have spare gasket (blue ones) to put it back toghether.

Gotcha! I can do that myself. My symptom is consistent. It's more like it randomly (as in once) got up to about 45mph before it started to bog down again. Weird because the week before I took my 3 and 4 year olds tubing for the first time and it ran great with none of the above symptoms!

[/QUOTE]
engine sounds good.
Just normal issues of unused boats..
you will have it sort in no time and will enjoy your boat!![/QUOTE]

Man I hope so!

[/QUOTE] I totally understand the family and vette thing! lol I have 2 kids so its definetely not a family car! I´ve considered streching it and adding 2 more seats or trading it for a camaro or Mopar of that era...but man the vette is nice![/QUOTE]

LOL! Don't get rid of it!! The price of that vette is appreciating like crazy and I don't know that the camaro or Mopar will like the vette will. I know in 10 years I will need some tissue when I look up the NADA value of the vette.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 9:04pm
totally messed up those quotes! Next time I better hit the preview button!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by kvand347 kvand347 wrote:

Weird because the week before I took my 3 and 4 year olds tubing for the first time and it ran great with none of the above symptoms!

now there´s your problem...tubing is BAD...

kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 9:10pm
Here are some pics of carb

On the last pic I noticed some gas on the lower port bolt. The gasket is wet too where the carb meets the spacer. Do we have a gas leak somewhere causing lack of fuel at WOT?
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 9:13pm
Sorry! This lower port bolt. I also notice the use of RTV at the base of the manifold/spacer. Is this normal?

kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 9:17pm

now there´s your problem...tubing is BAD...

I know! I HATE it, but my oldest has been begging me all summer to take him and we finally got the chance. He (and his younger bro) loved it.

My dad lives in Indy (coatesville) and he is looking for a set of beginner ski's for next year. Can't wait!

Me? I'm a wakeboarder. Gonna try surfing too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic