NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Surging and Detonation

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surging and Detonation
    Posted: September-18-2011 at 12:16pm
Hello everyone! First I would like to say that I have been following this forum for about 3 years and have learned that you guys are the absolute best at helping people out. With that said, please don't crucify me when I say I purchased a '93 Supra Sunsport! I grew up on a '90 Sport and a friend still has his '96 Ski Nautique. I almost bought a '93 Excel, but decided the Sunport came with many more options for the same price.

I've only had this boat out 3 times, once with the PO and she ran like a top.

Here is my issue: I took the boat out yesterday and she started and idled great. It sat at the dock idling for about 7 minutes while I was messing with the trailer and getting my 4 year old to stop chasing the ducks! We went to deeper water and I put the hammer down. The boat got up on plane and then starting surging. It would bog down for a second, then get up and go. I could also hear it popping at full throttle which I assume to be detonation. Contacted PO and he said 91 octane fuel (last filled 4th of July weekend).

Please tell me I haven't purchased a messed up motor!! Your help is greatly appreciated! I will be pulling spark plugs this morning. Anything else I should do? Compression test?

Specs: PCM 351W with PROTEC mated to a PCM 40 trans (1.23:1)
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 12:32pm
Sounds like it's not getting enough fuel on the top end. Let us know what the plugs look like and if any stand out from the others. Pics are great too.

Those protechs have a bad rep as well.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 12:38pm
Buffalo,

Thank you so much for a quick reply! I will be heading out in a second (trying to beat the rain coming) and take some pics of the plugs. Anything else you'd want to see? Would lack of fuel cause detonation?

I'm not familiar with the PROTEC system. Is there something better I should switch to? Cost?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 12:52pm
For now, pull the plugs. Otherwise I'd wait for a few more guys to offer some help. I only know what I've read about the protech system where others have dealt directly with it. Maybe get a few shots of the engine too.

If it turns out to be a fuel problem/shortage, most start at the tank and work forward. It could be a stuck check valve, bad fuel line(pinhole, dryrot), clogged fuel filter or one full of water, a clogged inlet screen at the carb, or simply mal adjusted floats.

Don't get in a hurry and don't start throwing parts at it. Lots of guys here know way more about this than I do, but you may not hear from many on a Sunday.
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 1:28pm
it may be a vacuum leak also, they will surge and run on the lean side if it pulls vacuum thru the base of the carb
"the things you own will start to own you"
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 1:30pm
Here are the plugs starting from right side (driver side) front to back then left side front to back.

Pics of motor to follow in a couple minutes.

I thought fuel related as well, it's just the pinging scared the crap out of me!

ANY help is GREATLY appreciated! Not too much of a hurry, just want it running fine before storage in another couple weeks.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 1:37pm
Eric,

Walk me through how to check the vacuum. Which hose(s)? What number(s) to look for? Idle? RPM range?

I do have a Mity Vac that I can use. I do not have a Fake-a-Lake so I'd need to take it to water (10 min. drive).

I am sort of a backyard mechanic...owned a 75 Corvette and did just about everything but a major overhaul on the motor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 1:42pm
Got a valve cover oil leak on the port side?

They're clearly not burning evenly which may point to what Eric posted or the protech as they aren't the same on one side or the other.
1988 BFN-sold

kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 1:55pm
Here are some pics of the motor. Please let me know if anyone sees anything out of place and what I should do to correct the problem.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 1:59pm
Buffalo,

I don't think the valve cover is leaking. The residue you noticed seemed to be leaking out the bottom of the spark plugs. Could it mean they weren't on tight enough? I know they are supposed to be torqued to only 15ft/lbs. I did NOT notice any of the port plugs come off any easier suggesting that they were loose.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 2:09pm
The detonation you're saying are pops through the carb, which could be caused by a missdetonation (ignition) or a mixture condition (carb)

I believe this is a fuel issue.

I'd try running it with a satellite fuel tank after draining the fuel filter/water separator.

If it solves you'll need to drain and clean the fuel tank, check the antisyphon valve at the pick up for cloggage too, or just take it out.

If it doesnt solves the issue
It could be a clogged jet at the carb. Will need to take it apart for cleaning.

Then after you have it running good, swap for some Autolites plugs.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by kvand347 kvand347 wrote:

Here are some pics of the motor. Please let me know if anyone sees anything out of place

Flame arrestor bolt.
1988 BFN-sold

kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 2:29pm
Luchog,

I'm pretty sure water separator is the black canister under the orange holder on the second to last engine picture. Fuel filter is a bit more tricky for me. On my vette it was an inline filter right where the fuel line meets the carb. Is this true for the holley carb?

Thanks for the advice on the satellite fuel tank, I will try that hopefully later today if I can get some clear weather!

FWIW--the boat did travel 3 hours after I bought it and it may have jostled some junk loose in the tank.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 2:31pm
I took the bolt off with the PCM plastic shroud so it would expose the carb. How do you clean the flame arrestor? Manual says use solvant. What kind?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 2:32pm
What's the history of the boat? You've had it how long?

Yes, that's the seperator. That could well be your issue if it's not been serviced in a while. They can get nasty and pass junk along to the carb. Carb's hate that.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 2:36pm

How do you clean the flame arrestor? Manual says use solvant. What kind?

I use brake parts cleaner and spray from the inside out and follow up with air. That's not your issue now though.

For those with the smaller diameter brass arrestor; they fit nicely in a coffee can.
1988 BFN-sold

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 2:45pm
The water separator might have a filter too. At least they do down here.
It can very well be full of crud or full of water. Worth checking it.

I'd leave the flame arrestor alone by now. Just not worth the hassle yet.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 2:49pm
History of boat:

I've owned (or should I say my bank has owned ) for 2 weeks. It was purchased from a guy who had it for 2 years. His reason for sale was to use the money for finishing his basement. Since he works nights, he was not able to use the boat as much as he would have liked. He only had it out once this year, 4th of July weekend.

The person that owned it before him apparantly had the motor rebuilt. Apparantly his dad is a marine mechanic. There is no documentation whatsoever, but I was disuaded since if its still original it only has 900 hours on her. I have noticed that wires are labeled which leads me to believe that the motor was out at some point.

As for the problem:

I test drove the boat with him and it seriously ran flawlessly except for a loose alternator belt squeeling on start up which I've since fixed. I had it out last weekend and it ran pretty good. I noticed it bog down on our ride and not want to get up and go, but found the fix to be the negative wire coming loose on the side of the carb (not sure what it is powering). I attached it and off we went!

I took it out yesterday since I flushed the tranny and wanted to get the level correct (valvoline dex/merc). It started right away but didn't want to idle at first (I assumed cold weather). Once it started to warm up a little I was able to put the throttle completely in neutral and it idled for about 7 minutes before we took it out. Once tranny level was corrected, I proceeded to do a couple hole shots. First one was good. Second one the motor bogged down and I heard the popping. Brought her down to idle and she was fine. 3rd hole shot was the same as the second, except this time it bogged, surged forward, bogged again, then popping noise. I powered down and took it home.

BTW--You can only imagine how my wife feels about all this!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 2:49pm
Sometimes, they even get rusty if they sit up.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 2:54pm

found the fix to be the negative wire coming loose on the side of the carb (not sure what it is powering). I attached it and off we went!

That's the choke and I bet you're right about the bumping around on the way home. It's gonna be crud in the fuel system I bet.
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 3:11pm
The pro-tec is not a question of will it, its a question of when, many problems with those P/T's, its very possible it is causing the symptoms you are having, you really cant troubleshoot a PT, it may lead you down a different path such as parts replacing. I think if you convert to a regular distributor it will be money well spent, then that will eliminate the doubt.
the crud in the fuel system is very feasible also, the alcohol aka ethenol will loosen all the crud and it gets sucked right into the fuel supply causing restrictions and even blockage.
maybe a crap shoot on the Pro-tec, but ive heard no one complain that swapping it over to a conventional distributor, and that it didnt improve performance all around
"the things you own will start to own you"
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

maybe a crap shoot on the Pro-tec, but ive heard no one complain that swapping it over to a conventional distributor, and that it didnt improve performance all around

Sounds like something to do next season. For now, I'd just like piece of mind that I didn't buy a lemon.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 3:43pm
Here is what I found with the fuel/water separator. Not sure if anything looks out of place or how to guage how much water is in there, but did notice some sedimentation floating around.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 5:09pm
Don,in the fourth pic of the motor. The clear plastic tube running from the fuel pump to the carb. Is there fuel in it? Looks like there may be fuel in that line. Which would indicate a bad fuel pump diaphram.
I have the ProTec on my engine as well....holding my breath every time we go to the lake. So far, so good for now!
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 5:43pm
As Eric has pointed, the Protec system shall go only for peace of mind, you should consider it even if you get this issue sorted. The retrofit is around U$D500.

I'd put the separator back on and ran the satellite fuel tank with fresh fuel, go give the engine some gass it might clear the carb. In fact, if running a clean satellite tank, you dont need the water separator in either.

also as Jim noted, there should be no fuel on the clear line on the pump to the carb, if so it means the pump is bad and needs change

If the boat was running flawless I really doubt it's a lemon, what you are experiencing is what every boat that's left for months with old fuel has since the Ethanol is back at gas pumps.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 7:09pm

For now, I'd just like piece of mind that I didn't buy a lemon.

Reassure yourself and your boss that you didn't get a lemon; really. All you have is a few maintence issues to catch up with. The condition of the plugs says they may have been there a while and so forth.

Don't be upset...just hang around here a while and we'll get you fixed up. Warning, some have cited addiction issues with this site...and you may just catch yourself doing extra maitenance in the future just 'cause you enjoy it.

From here, we'll try to help you eliminate potential problems.
1988 BFN-sold

kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 9:42pm
Jim,

The clear plastic tubing is free of any liquid. It must just be the angle of the camera.

Installed new fuel/water separator with a NAPA Gold. Unhooked the fuel line to the carb thinking there was another fuel filter inline at the carb, but was suprised to find just a screen. Everything looked great there.

The weatherman is calling for sunny and 70 tomorrow so I will try the spare gas tank method and post results pending no other family obligations.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 9:46pm
report back your findings and good luck!.
kvand347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvand347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

If the boat was running flawless I really doubt it's a lemon, what you are experiencing is what every boat that's left for months with old fuel has since the Ethanol is back at gas pumps.

It makes me feel good to hear you think it is not a lemon! Would be my most costly mistake to date! FWIW-the PO feels terrible about the situation and wants to know the details of the fix...makes me feel better too.

I think there are a couple of gas stations that have the premium blend with no ethanol. I will fill up the spare tank there and see how she runs tomorrow pending no other family obligations.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2011 at 11:09pm
The issue with the E10 fuel is when you let it sit on the tank for some time, the alcohol sucks the humidity on the ambient and then you have water in. It can be as quick as 2 weeks or sometimes it lasts longer. Depends on many factors.

Decomposed fuel will smell like thinner or solvent.

If you use E10 but renew it every 7-15 days you should have no problem using it. So for a quick run you could use it with no problems.

Another issue with it is that the alcohol "cleans" the crud and varnishes built up on the tanks and lines and that makes it's way to the engine clogging filters and carbs. In some boats this clean up process takes more time and creates various episodes with the same simptons until it's all clean and all you will have is to drain water from the filter from time to time, if any's in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic