NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foam vs. No foam

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2011 at 1:45pm
I don't think one can conclude anything other then if you keep your boat chronically soaked, bad sh|t happens. ponderous.

My noodles are doing just fine since '97.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2011 at 2:15pm
My boat capsized once and then when they turn it over it kept afloat with the water to the gunnel level..using a HD water pump that the local CG had aboard they were able to dump all the water and finally towed the boat to the marina....foam I guess saved it from going to the bottom...7 years later due to this accident I had to redo my floors. Should had know the wood thing, I probalbly I would have claimed the insurance the floor repair!! LOL

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
charger496 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charger496 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2011 at 6:09pm
Damn, Kapla! With all the prop repairs, capsizing your boat, and having to wipe sunscreen off your seats from all the pretty ladies, it's amazing you have any time to ski!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2011 at 6:18pm
Not to mention cruising in the Vette, BBQs and a handful of Holidays. Busy man!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 9:10pm
Seb - I wanna hear the story on how the boat capsized!!!
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2011 at 11:31pm
Agree with the above posters, Seb. You are hell on a boat. What's the story with the capsizing?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2011 at 2:07pm
one would think a 46 foot cougar that does 100 mph hitting 8 ft waves, with 10,000 lbs of engines in the ass end would snap in half, the hull averaged 3/16 across the structure, thin enough to see light thru it. 46 feet long, 8 ft beam, looking out the bow you could see the flex under way, not a drop of foam. normal single stringer design with secondaries...were talking 8 straight hours of brute punishment, to this day i have not seen a boat snap in half.
I look at these cast iron bath tubs (CC's) 19 foot long, built like a tank, if its lucky hitting someones wake is the biggest wave it will ever see in its life.
just comparing apples to apples, I really could see the foam effecting more of the structure in a negative way, glass is designed to flex as proven many times when you put a boat in the water....
in the grand scheme if that 46' footer was foamed i believe it would snap in half because you are eliminamiting the flex, alot of you guy's are engineers, and should possibly see this?
imagine if you had a rigid air plane wing, you look out that window and see it bobbin up and down, it bobs for a reason, so it doesnt snap off the side of the plane
kinda the same theory in a car possibly, you hit a wall in a 68 duece and a qauter your gonna die because of ridgity, now you take a tin can kia with crush zones the car will absorb the sudden stop. so maybe its a double edged sword, flex is definitely considered in a boats design
"the things you own will start to own you"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2011 at 3:01pm
Eric - I agree 100%. If you have a beam design that changes modulus suddenly, that is where the stress concentrates & it will crack there.    Hence tapered wall thicknesses & large fillet radii in molded parts.    Welds are a good example of a doomed design because they stop suddenly.

Very few structures have infinite life (at max cyclic load).    For some reason these factors are not published in the sales brochures.    So either avoid epic loading conditions, or don't have the expectation that it will never fail.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2011 at 4:38pm
your right snob, i just got a plow back from last year which I welded all the gussets where they should be, the plow shouldve been taken out of service 3 years ago, after every gusset there is a crack,
exactly snob your spot on, you re-distribute the weight exactly as you would on a trailer, you must understand hydro theory, when in the water you are redistributing weight and it is equal in the water, its hydraulic theory
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic