Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1995 Nautique w/ Throttle Body????

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skidog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1995 Nautique w/ Throttle Body????
    Posted: August-21-2005 at 9:25pm
I am looking at buying a 1995 Ski Nautique. It has a Ski Pro or Pro Ski EFI PCM. I took the black cover off the top of the engine and it still looked like a carberator. Looks nothing like a GT 40. I once had the 1994 with the troublesome Throttle body EFI. I swore never again. Can someone confirm for me that this is same thing or is it a 302 block with TBI vs MPI. My 1995 brochure doesn't list it. Who has the answer or know where I can get it?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 1:44pm
I have the same engine, and could not be more pleased. The "Pro Ski" is a 351W with either 285 or 308 HP (I have not definately resolved actual rating). The engine definately utilizes TBI fuel injection (I know, a bit redundant) as manufactured by Holley with a custom PCM computer. The unit flows 950 CFM of air (4V version) and thus flow more air than the GT-40 of the same era. Consequently, PCM and CC claim that the TBI engine will out perform the GT-40.

The downside, is that the TBI engine is somewhat of a gas hog due to the large throttle plates.

Yes, I imagine the '94 and '95 TBI engine are virtually identical. Incidently, why have you sworn off the TBI engines...or should I ask why was it troublesome?
skidog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 2:03pm
Today I spoke with a CS rep at CC. He confirmed that it is the same engine as the 1994 TBI. The 94 I had for a short period. I bought from the original owner back in 1999. At that time and now, many had forgotten all the issues with it. The guy I purchased it from had it in many times for adjustments. I even think (99% certain) there was a service bulletin regarding the engine back in 1995?

I sold it to a friend and they had nothing but problems.....even think they eventually replaced the entire engine (don't know all the details).

So I am a little leary of that engine. The CS person at CC told me some people who have the engine converted it to a carbed engine to avoid some of the issues.

He said some of the electrical components are now tough to get? He also said it does have the GT-40 heads. He himself has the carb version in a 1999 and often times outperforms GT-40's.

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 2:36pm
Yes, there was a service bulletin where they replaced the entire throttle body (can't remember why). Anyway, the new throttle bodies have a red throttle arm to indicate it has been replaced. The system is rather very simple mechanically, not much adjustments to be made other than fuel pressure and throttle position sensor base setting.

When I first got my boat, it ran horribly and I went through everything trying to fix the problem that turned out to be a grounding problem due to a loose bolt. While I was troubleshooting, I called PCM and discovered that all the parts are still available (for both TBI and the required Pro-Tec ignition), including the control module. I sort of got the feeling that PCM is hording the remaining stock to be sold to only owner's that have the TBI engines (i.e. the Pro-Tec ignition). The main problem is that the TBI computer is about $850.00.

Once I fixed the grounding problem, the engine runs flawlessly all the time. The TBI runs notoriously rich, but I improved upon this by reducing the fuel pressure to 13 psi by advice of Mark at PCM (spec is 15psi).

When it is all said and done, I would rather have a GT-40. However, I would rather have the TBI over a carbureted engine mainly due to the cold start issues and fouling issue due to lay-up of carbureted engines.
Darrel View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 7:56pm
Skidog, I would double check that info regarding the GT40 heads. The GT40's have 3 inverted slash marks on the front (short side) of the heads, i think they are also stamped "GT". Pro ski tbi have 2 slashes and are not GT40 heads. This is just from memory, but i think its correct. Anyone else?
skidog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2005 at 12:59am
David F that is "great" information. If the deal on the boat works out, I will definitely reduce the fuel pressure. Now that I have read your comments it is sort of coming back to me. Fouling and richness were the issues. I will know if I get the boat in a week or so and let give you an update. It needs all new skins but only has 340hours. Also nees a few TLC things.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic