Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle Issues?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BigByrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigByrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle Issues?
    Posted: July-14-2011 at 7:45pm
So I just got an 88 SN. I have followed this forum a little before buying this boat. I have a few issues with it as of today. I might be able to search this issue but i have tried and cannot find it. Don't jump all over me Pete. Let me give you the whole story.... Yesterday, i ran the boat with some friends all day on a new lake. While I was wakeboarding my buddy managed to run up in some shallow water and killed it as soon as he felt a jerk. we pulled it into deeper water and felt around below to see if it was damaged. everything seemed fine no damage on anything so we ran it for 30 min or so. Ran just fine nothing new then put it up. When I went to run it today I could not get it started. ended up draining the battery and somehow blue the "Breaker" or "Fuse" (the red button on the back of the motor). Anyways I figured that out hooked it up to a hose and got it running. Now, it idles just fine and starts fine no issues there but when I pull the nob out to rev it without putting it in gear there is no response. So i put it in gear and the propeller turns but I cannot rev it and when its in gear it makes a noise coming from the prop shaft? i think... hopefully not the tranny. I know I am young and dumb and need yals help so give me a break. Thanks in advance!
Byrd
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 7:53pm
I'm not sure why the transmission cut out nob (not sure if that's what it's actually called) is not working.

One thing though, you really want to minimize the propeller turning with the boat on the trailer. The cutlass bearing is lubricated by water, and if the boat is on the trailer, its not getting any water. That could be your noise.

So the old joke where the doctor says, if it only hurts when you do that, then stop doing that... might apply here.
BigByrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigByrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 8:05pm
Ok well I will stop worrying about that until I get it in the water but it doesn't accelerate with that nob in or out...?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 8:13pm
Ryan,
Don'r worry about me "coming down" you for not using the search!! It can be frustrating at times finding the correct key word and then doing lots of reading. Using it is always a suggestion of mine (as well as others) and maybe sometimes I haven't communicated that very well. (I try to use the emocicons as much as possible! )

With no throttle response, check your cable from the helm control to make sure it's moving the throttle at the carb. It could be a broken cable or there's a small brass cable end that does wear out. Get back ASAP since I'm taking off for GL at about noon tomorrow.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 8:13pm
Hmmmm, is your throttle cable definitely actuating the carburetor? If your shift control is acting funny, then maybe it's not doing it's job?

That's kind of a shot in the dark though. So basically, your motor just is not revving now?
BigByrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigByrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 8:51pm
Yes it will only idle. the linkage seems to be fine but the throttle is not moving when i use the shift control...
BigByrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigByrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 8:53pm
Yes it will only idle. the linkage seems to be fine but the throttle is not moving when i use the shift control...Maybe i missed something
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 9:08pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BigByrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigByrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 9:10pm
Ok thanks i'll let yal know
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 9:12pm
The noise your hearing is your strut bushing called a cutless, running dry.If your going to run it in gear, get some water on it or you'll be using the search feature to find out how to remove the shaft and replace the bearing
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 9:32pm
Ryan,
Get back to us with whatever you find. It sounds like you do need some help but that's what we're here for.

Knowing you're in Texas, Whatever you do, never take your boat to "cooter"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BigByrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigByrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 10:22pm
Well now that I got my first rookie mistake out of the way I'll make sure to run it in the water from now on :O. I'll see if I can't figure it out tomorrow in the morning and let ya'll know
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ryan,
Get back to us with whatever you find. It sounds like you do need some help but that's what we're here for.

Knowing you're in Texas, Whatever you do, never take your boat to "cooter"

Pete,

Thats just wrong...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2011 at 11:42pm
Ryan....Lets see, your throttle at the helm is fine, but, your engine will only idle, and not rev up. Correct? If thats the case, try opening your engine hatch, and check to see if the throttle cable has come loose from your carb. I had that happen recently when I forgot to put the cotter pin in the throttle cable end after I had been working on the carburetor. Take a look at that.

If that is attached to your carb properly, you may have actually broken your throttle cable somewhere between the helm control and the carb itself. Maybe when your buddy ran aground he jammed the boat into neutral quickly and it could have led to a busted cable. If thats the case, thank god that is all that happened. It could have been a whole lot worse.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2011 at 1:33am
Ryan, You can run the boat on the hose. Just do not put it in gear. Some transmisions will have some ghost activity spinning the shaft slowly especially when cold. Mine does this and it howls if dry. I always soak the shaft /cutlass bearing under the boat with water before connecting the water and starting the engine, This seems to lube it enough to tolerate the ghost activity.

If you lift the dog house you you should be able to manualy advance the throttle while it is running confirming you have a cable issue. My 87's cable snapped last summer while my son had it out. A friend was able to run the throttle at the motor to get them back to the ramp. replacment is a little triky due to working blind in a tight space behind the control. but it is do-able.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

BigByrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigByrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2011 at 2:46am
Ok just did a little investigation after work.... I tried to manually move the throttle and it would barely move so I disconnected the line from the throttle and could advance the throttle as far as I wanted. Im sure this is normal? the line would not suck back in while I was moving the shift control. I'm guessing this confirms a broken throttle line. Any advice? thanks!
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2011 at 3:12am
Contact your favorite Correct Craft parts supplier and order up a throttle cable. You may have to remove your Morse control lever from the side panel to get everything apart and back together again. You will have to pull the old cable out, and attach the new one at both ends.

When pulling the old one out, you may want to attach the new one to it with duct tape and pull it through at the same time. The hardest part of the job will be working to get access to the throttle linkage behind the side panel. Just take your time and work carefully and it won't be too bad.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2011 at 1:18pm
Ryan,
If it is the cable, I suggest as long as you're changing the throttle cable, you had better change the shift cable as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BigByrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigByrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2011 at 1:30pm
Ok and isn't it just a standard 17ft. control cable or do I need to get more specific?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2011 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by BigByrd BigByrd wrote:

Ok and isn't it just a standard 17ft. control cable or do I need to get more specific?

I know someplace there's a post on the cable lengths needed for different model boats. I'm pretty sure it was Tim that listed them. I did some searching and couldn't find it. Since the forum is going to really slow down due the reunion, maybe it's best to just pull them out and measure if you need a quick answer. Just pull a rope through with the old ones and use it to pull in the new ones. It works too - I did it on my Tique sevel years ago.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BigByrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigByrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2011 at 8:18pm
Will do Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic