NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Knocking comming from Drive area

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knocking comming from Drive area
    Posted: August-15-2005 at 8:00pm
When I first put my boat in the water and idle in gear then I hear a slow knocking sound till I take off. When the boat warms up the noise is gone. Any ideas on how to find out what is going on?

The transmission seems to be running smooth and the sound seems to be inbetween the trans and prop area. The prop is tight.

Thanks for any Ideas...This website is great.
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2005 at 1:29am
Coupler between motor and trans ? I have seen a few make noises in the past.When you load the boat the noise goes away.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2005 at 9:28am
And most velvet drives knock if the idle is too low or eratic, it doesn't take much.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2005 at 12:51pm
Sounds like the engine/trans coupler is bad.
This subjuect has come up a few times here and thats the common cause...
NO LONGER A MEMBER
guest View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 3:36pm
damper plate? is that the coupler?
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2005 at 4:30pm
correct
NO LONGER A MEMBER
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2005 at 4:35am
I replaced one of those on a friends boat. I hope it doesn't mean it will fail. I just don't want to be stuck on the lake somewhere.
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2005 at 4:38pm
is there an old thread or online guide about changin the damper plate? I think my boat needs one two. look like a big job to seperate the tranny.
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2005 at 8:58am
I upped the idle a little bit and the knocking is all but gone. I guess it is just noisy at a low idle. I wonder if it has something to do with a relationship between centrifical force or whatever and engaging completely into drive.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2005 at 11:04pm
If it's a velvet drive, it's probably the damper plate between the tranny and the engine. There are 4-5 springs around the plate that rust out over time. I had mine replaced on my old 84' for about $500 a dealer. PCM makes a replacement plate for about $150, then the rest is labor. Pull the tranny out, pop the old plate, put the new plate on, reinstall tranny.

there is another thread here on it.

cheers
tc
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2005 at 8:42pm
Mine was knocking like that just before it quit. It felt a little stiff going into gear that day and just quit going while I was up on ski. At least we all got a turn before it quit. I'm pulling the trans to see what's broke.
Bob Ed
83 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic