NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb Problem
    Posted: August-15-2005 at 12:09pm
Has anyone had a problem with their engine wanting to idle too high after it has been run real hard.

I Have a 1993 351 engine with the standard Holley Carburetor. Sometimes after I have run the boat really hard the idle rpms will be so high that I am afraid to put it into gear for fear of damaging the transmission.

If I shut the engine off and let it sit for just a minute or two and then restart the engine, it will usually idle normally.

Again this only happens when it has been operated at nearly full throttle conditions.

Any thoughts?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2005 at 12:54pm
The secondary throttle plates are likley hanging open a snudge.

First adjust the pivot on the throttle cable so that at idle, the cable gently pushes the throttle against the idle stop.

Then, adjust the closing linkage to the secondary throttle shaft so that it forces the secondaries fully closed, and doesn't permit it hang open. You will need to adjust the bend in the rod with two pliers.

If you can rotate the secondary shaft with your fingers when at idle, you can hear the rpms change, and it needs adjustment to prevent your symtoms.

Another, less likely cause could be the mechanical advance getting stuck and not retarding till you shut down, pop the cap off and check for smooth operation and no broken springs; if it flops around and does not spring back, a sping is broken; if its sticky, well, it needs lube.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2005 at 1:06pm
You may want to replace your PVC valve. Maybe it is sticking partially open and falls closed after the engine is off for a period.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2005 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

The secondary throttle plates are likley hanging open a snudge.

First adjust the pivot on the throttle cable so that at idle, the cable gently pushes the throttle against the idle stop.

Then, adjust the closing linkage to the secondary throttle shaft so that it forces the secondaries fully closed, and doesn't permit it hang open. You will need to adjust the bend in the rod with two pliers.

If you can rotate the secondary shaft with your fingers when at idle, you can hear the rpms change, and it needs adjustment to prevent your symtoms.

Another, less likely cause could be the mechanical advance getting stuck and not retarding till you shut down, pop the cap off and check for smooth operation and no broken springs; if it flops around and does not spring back, a sping is broken; if its sticky, well, it needs lube.

I removed the throttle cable when this was happening but it did not make any difference. Therefore, I am thinking that the problem must be tied to the operation of the secondary throttle shaft.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic