Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vibration

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Stev View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vibration
    Posted: August-15-2005 at 4:34am
I hit something submerged. Did not seem to be a very hard hit. After I noticed vibration. How do I narrow down what is causing the vibration? I noticed nothing wrong with shaft, prop, or brace.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2005 at 11:06am
Talking from experience, you may not be able to see anything wrong.
I had a similar situation with my 87 S/N. I taped a pencil to a block of wood and secured it to my trailer cradle, using the pointed end of the pencil as a reference for my prop shaft(the end with the nut on it). As I rotated the prop I could see the very end of the shaft wobbling. The shaft has a tapered end so it's easy to bend the trailing end of it. The wobbling shaft set up a vibration that made my entire dash buzz. Good luck!   
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2005 at 11:39am
If you hit something soft, but dense (like a rotten log) then you might not see a "ding" on your prop, but you might have a bent blade. You can use skyhawkflyer's procedure to check your blades too.

Also, check your engine alignment.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Stev View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2005 at 3:35pm
How do you check engine alignment?
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2005 at 4:10pm
Look in the "Reference" section of this site under "Engine/Transmission Manuals". The first manual is the "PCM 302 and 351 Engine Manual" Look on page number 2 - it has the engine alignment procedure.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic