NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Been a tough year so far.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Been a tough year so far.....
    Posted: July-06-2011 at 3:53am
But things are looking up.
I've been a little apprehensive about posting this because i dont ordinarily put my personal stuff out on a public forum. I guess i dont really need to worry about that here. Actually, some of the comments in the "tubing is dangerous" thread and the fact that I will not be able to attend the NE Reunion finally led me to start this thread. A couple of the guys on here know whats up and i thank you guys for the support. Some of you may or may not recall i did not make it to the boat show due to having to attend the funeral of a friend/ customer who was diagnosed with cancer, given a year to live and died exactly three weeks later.

Less than a week after that my daughter was diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease. For those not familiar with that term it is basically Stage 5 kidney failure. She is adopted, so we had no medical history on her. The doctors think it was something she was born with and it finally came to fruition. My wife and i had been battling her on a few things that we attributed to her being a somewhat " unmotivated" pre-teen. She is 12. She started sleeping alot and not really wanting to do much. A few weeks or so after this started she came home from school sick. Felt fine the next day. This sickness came and went over a few more days, so my wife took her to the doctor. To make a long story long, basically they tried to send my wife home with meds to treat a urinary tract infection, and my wife refused to leave the office until they called the lab and ordered blood testing ( which they were extremely reluctant to do). 3 hours later we were in an ambulance on our way to Boston ChildrensHospital, where we stayed for 8 days. She had to have surgery to have a port installed in her chest for dialysis treatments and travels back and forth 3 sometimes 4 days a week for treatments.
   I'm sure there are some on here who may have a child who has been thru a sickness or something like this, and if so you know how Bad it sucks to see them have to go thru it, if you have not, i sincerely hope you never have to. It is truely amazing how resilient they are.

There is a thousand other details that fit into this story but its way too much stuff to type. I will say that i hope all you never have to find out how ***************ed up the health care system has gotten in this country, because it truely sucks. Fortunately they let you take the rest of your damned life to pay whatever your insurance decides that they dont want to pay. (make sure you read everything in your policy, if there is an out they will take it)

They tell me that her case was extremely rare, that it unusual for someone that far into failure to still be making urine and not show any of the other symptoms and that made it even harder on us because we got thrown right into this and had to make alot of decisions in mere hours that most have months to ponder. They also commended my wife on her persistence that the lab draw blood. Had my wife not pushed for that, according to the renal team in Boston my daughter would have most likely died over the weekend.

Aside from all of this there is a silver lining.
We have a donor lined up. All of the testing is done and we have a transplant scheduled for August 25th. The day before the NE Reunion begins. Needless to say, I'll have to catch you dudes another time.

And FWIW, my daughter loves to go tubing. She snow skis, but never really took to waterskiing or wakeboarding, both of which she has tried. She cannot get in the water as long as her dialysis port is in, which will be taken out after she recovers from surgery. We try to spend a little time at the lake because we dont feel its fair for my son not to be able to do some things he enjoys because she can't, but we dont push it because it kills her to be up there and not be able to enjoy the water..... So I leave you with this...... To all you tubing haters, i used to be a guy that did whatever possible to discourage the kids from tubing . Next year i will be the guy with the 60k wakeboat dragging his daughter around in a tube and i will be loving every minute of it.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 8:58am
Mike, thanks for sharing your situation. Sure puts my minor problems in perspective.
Will be praying for your daughter and the rest of the family.
I am sure we can give you a special dispensation on the tubing when your daughter is healed up and ready to hit the lake
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 9:01am
Mike, we're all praying for your daughter and for you and your family. I cannot imagine the worry and stress you're going through. If you need help with anything or if there is anything we can do, let us know.

As far as the tubing thing goes, whatever it takes to get kids out on the water, but when put in perspective like this, it don't matter. I hope she's out there behind the boat soon.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 9:09am
Mike,
Keep the faith and keep going.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 9:26am
Thanks for sharing this with us and you know that many of us here are praying for you and your family. Continue to be strong and and know that we're here and many of those CCFans who know you personnally are just a phone call away. We'll definately be thinking of y'all come Aug 25th.

It's like my signature line says:

"CCFan....It's not just about the Correct Craft boats we drive; but the owners who drive them!"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 9:28am
That's amazing that the doctors wanted to send your daughter home with some pills and call it a day. Good for your wife for going with her gut instinct and pushing to have the tests done.

My mom had to do the same thing when my brother was little. The doctor swore up and down that my brother didn't have meningitis but my mom insisted on getting another opinion. Sure enough the doctor was wrong and they caught it in time.

You will truly be missed at the NE reunion this year but be sure we will all be thinking of you and your family throughout the weekend and I pray that the surgery goes well and that there are no complications.

I'm sure I'll talk to you before the date of the surgery but in the rare event I don't I hope 2011 starts to turn around on August 25!
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 9:37am
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Mike, thanks for sharing your situation. Sure puts my minor problems in perspective.
Will be praying for your daughter and the rest of the family.
I am sure we can give you a special dispensation on the tubing when your daughter is healed up and ready to hit the lake

Mike,
My sentiments exactly. and hang in there. what may be determined to be exempt because it is expierimental today may be covered tommorrow if the results are positive. It truley makes hard times even worse when with all you go through you have to fight every step of the way with insurance. The same insurance you've been paying and assuming was the best only to find out, well you already know.

Do not hesitate to call on any of us if there is any way we can help.
We'll miss you at the reunion but we will be thinking of you the whole time. Good Luck. Kevin
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 11:40am
What can be said - that sucks bro. But you have a donor lined up and that is pretty much the best you can hope for at this point. This is why I always think it is a joke when I hear about people talking about needing to put more free market forces into healthcare.. when your kid needs health care your demand for it becomes infinite and a free market knows just what to do when it sees infinite demand. Don't let the Bastards grind you Down!

As for doctors.. they are like mechanics.. some are better than others.. good thing your wife can stick to her guns.

When she is ready to go tubing again I would be happy to come out of retirement and give her a pull..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 11:43am
Wishing you and her all our best,
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 12:06pm
Tubing application approved.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 12:08pm
best wishes to your family from down down south mike.

thanks for sharing.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 12:12pm
Wow Mike, thats gotta be about as scary as it gets. Im glad to hear that there is a silver lining though- thank goodness for that. Hang in there and give her our best! We'll miss you at the reunion for sure... hope to catch up to you soon.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 12:56pm
Mike a few years ago I spent 5 nights in that very same hospital with my daughter in intensive care. You are in good hands there, I've never seen the level of care they gave to my daughter anywhere. It is truly a life changing experience for sure, hard to imagine things will ever be ok again but persevere and stay positive. You and your family are in our thoughts brother, hang tough.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 12:58pm
Mike,
Your daughter will also be included in my prayers. From my point of view...whatever works, whatever makes them happy, whatever allows that wonderful family bonding time. God Bless you and your family.
Michelle
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 1:12pm
As a parent of a 12yr old girl as well I can only imagine what you and your family are going thru, Hang tough and stay strong! Sounds like your daughter is in the bast hands possible, her families, BCH and of course the good lords, everything is gonna be alright!!

In our Thoughts
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 3:07pm
Thanks for sharing Mike. It puts my tiny problems right back into perspective...
Our thoughts are with you and your family.

And enjoy every minute your daugther enjoys the tube!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 3:20pm
Since a tube (port) is keeping her going now....... I'd say tubing is a great way to go!

Best Wishes for a speedy and healthy resolution...... Keep the faith cuz it will all work out in the end. If it isn't working out, it's not the end!

Steve
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 4:20pm
As the father of three, I cant imagine what you must be going through. We have had several kids around here that have had kidneys transplants and have done great. All the best to you and your family. Tubing ok...
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 6:38pm
Mike thanks for sharing. We were bummed out because Nora (4) got her first ear infection Friday night and we could not go to the lake last weekend. It is easy to take health for granted until you see how fragile it is.

My family will be praying for yours. Tell your son that his old board is getting a lot of use. Gordie is starting to pop off the top of the lip and getting braver with every pass.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2011 at 8:14pm
Mike – I’m sorry to hear about your daughter.

Like others, I give your wife credit for pushing for the blood test. Our health care system may fail, but never a mother’s intuition.

You’ll definitely be missed at the reunion, but we’ll be thinking of you and your family. I hope all goes well with the surgery.

If you need anything or if there is anything I can do just let me know.

Best wishes!
Kyle
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 12:41am
whoa- This has been a tough year for you and your family...
It is especially hard to see kids go through these things.
Glad to hear that they have a donor for her and August 25th probably can't come soon enough.

You will be sorely missed at the reunion, but will be in our thoughts all summer.

Hang in there. I hope she gets back to tubing again real soon.

-Brad (and Cheney too)

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 12:50am
Mike - The guys already said it all. We're praying for you daughter & hope to meet her someday.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 2:11am
Mike

Your daughter and the rest of your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Your situation hits extremely close to home with me. My sister was diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease about 10 years ago. She is now 49 and has been on dialysis for most of that 10 years. Her doctor in FL recommended that other family members be tested for this because it is very hereditary in nature. My mother was confirmed with this and has been on dialysis for a few years. I was also confirmed with disease as was my 12 year old daughter. My daughter and I both have nearly full kidney function remaining but go through a series of test on an annual basis to moniter the progress. Hopefully knowing early on, we will be able prolong the end stage renal failure.

You are fortunate to have found a matching donor so quickly. People generally have to wait years.

Enjoy every moment.

David

86 Martinique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 2:38am
Mike,
........pretty much what everyone else has already said...

Our pastor's 7 year old daughter just went thru an 12 hour, open heart surgery yesterday. I think all of us, as parents, wish we could trade places with a child in these situations..I cant fathom the emotions you and your family are going thru.. Hang in there and make sure to post pics when you and your daughter go rip up some glass with that tube!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 2:55am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

It's like my signature line says:
"CCFan....It's not just about the Correct Craft boats we drive; but the owners who drive them!"

Tim pretty much says it all....for all of us on here. All your friends on here got you and your family covered Mike.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 3:13am
Mike, You are facing one of my biggest fears. A few years ago my teenage son had a bike accident, took his front teeth out by the roots, (small potatos compared to your situation) I would have traded places with him in a second to take away his pain. Instead I watched helplessly. Your whole family will be in my prayers. I bet if your daughter were to show up healed at green lake next week she could hitch a ride on a tube behind 40 different correct crafts with out a single soul complaining. Thanks for sharing and reminding us that some peoples "rough water" is a lot more serious than others.
God Bless.
Dave.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 10:55am
Mike,
Best of luck to you and your family with this situation. Sometimes it takes hearing about stories like this for all of us with healthy families to appreciate what we have.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 11:14am
I hope your family weathers this trial well and it will make you a stronger family in the end. best wishes for your daughter and as a suprise for her and all of us I think we should start a collection here to fly Pete out here for next years reunion so he can be the one to pull her on the tube.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 11:33am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I think we should start a collection here to fly Pete out here for next years reunion so he can be the one to pull her on the tube.

How about a 2 man tube and Pete can ride with. I picture flowing grey hair and a turtle neck bouncing across the water.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2011 at 2:57pm
Mike - I can't even imagine.... what a blessing to find a kidney so soon. Getting your kids on the water and making memories is what life is all about!   Tube, Skis, WB,   It doesn't matter what method you use, I'm just glad to hear that you have more memories to make.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic