Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Idle Problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Brewski* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewski* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Idle Problems
    Posted: August-11-2005 at 1:11pm
I bought an 89 Ski Nautique 2001 last night. 351 with Holly carb. It would not idle at all so I set the idle up some. It lopes pretty bad and eventually dies when I set it anywhere below 900-1000rpms. Any help much appreciated.
Bruce
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2005 at 1:51pm
Hi Brewski,

Congradulations on your purchase. When I bought my 89, it had idle problems too. Always start with the basics. Do a tune-up, and make sure to verify the timing. Next, replace the fuel filter/water seperator. It is inside the orange canister mounted on the stringer in the front of the engine box. It called a fram long filter and can be ordered from www.skidim.com. You can get a 10% discount for being a member of this forum.

Enjoy,
-Mark
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2005 at 2:10pm
Your experience is the same that many encounter when the have a vacuum leak. Try spraying WD-40 around the base of the carb while the engine is idling and see if the RPMs change momentarily. If they do, replace the carb to manifold gasket with a Fel-Pro. Do not use a Mr. Gasket.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2005 at 10:33pm
Had the same problem this spring after a rebuild on Holley. As Jim said it was the POC Mr Gasket on the base, it's just a hair too narrow. Plugs, cap and rotor, points if you have them probably need changing, too.
Bob Ed
83 2001
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2005 at 2:34am
I agree...Fel-pro ! a vacuum leak at the carb base or spacer makes the idle run high...I found the leak by blowing cig smoke at the base and it sucked it right in.Tried Jim's recommedation and it was solved!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic