Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Some newb ??s

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
encinoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote encinoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some newb ??s
    Posted: June-18-2011 at 3:10am
So I bought my 1st nautique, a 1994 SNOB.

I have been reading this forum every chance I get, thank you.

The rear ski pylon (the little black one on top of the transom) needs to be repainted. It has an allan bolt on top, but it seems to just spin - any ideas on how to remove it.

My trans says it is 1.23:1 (or something like that) does that mean it is over or under driven? I have the 5.8 motor. The trans also says 20W oil, but I have read here to use DEX III and not synthetic. Well, DEX III is now DEX VI = synthetic. What are you guys using?

Planning on using Valvoline racing 40W for oil. Yes???
Take me to the river.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 11:06am
Alex - Welcome to the site.    You will get much advice!    Some even helpful . . .

No advice on the rear pylon, I'll leave that for others.

1.23 tranny is overdrive ratio (prop spins slower).

Check the color of the oil in it. If it is brown, it still has 20W motor oil. Eric (our tranny guy) recommends Dexron. Are you positive Dex III is not available at all anymore? The synthetic may be a problem if it has friction reducing additives.

To change from motor oil to ATF, you have to drain (suck out) & refill 3 times.

For your engine, we battle this recommendation endlessly, most use Valvoline 'VR1' (not pure racing oil) or Shell Rotella. 40W is good, 20W-50 also OK.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 1:11pm
Alex, had the same problem with my rear pylon...needed painting. You have to go in underneath it to unbolt it. Remove the rear seat. You should be able to reach the underside of it above the gas tank. It takes a large allen wrench. I had mine powder coated by a local shop. It has been three years and still looks good.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 1:52pm
Same here on the rear transom pull. Local guy powercoated it for FREE! Just caught him at the right time when he was doing black! Put a new nylon SS locknut on it and tighten her down.Shoot me an E-mail Alex. mtmabe@northstate.net

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
encinoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote encinoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2011 at 3:02pm
Thank you. I am on it.
Take me to the river.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic