Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM engine with cracked heads

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DaveB View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM engine with cracked heads
    Posted: August-05-2005 at 6:19pm
I have a 91 Ski Nautique with the 351 ProBoss PCM engine. The heads started cracking several years ago with rust lines appearing above the spark plugs that has progressively gotten worse to the point I now need to replace them. I held off doing anything about it knowing sooner or later they would have to be replaced.

My question is...has anyone else experienced the same problem with the PCM engine and what if anything did the dealer and/or PCM do to address the problem?

I know of an owner of a 91 Ski Nautique where PCM replaced the heads at their expense about 4-5 years ago. Anyone else have anything to share on this problem?

Thanks for your help.
Dave
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2005 at 7:31am
Almost all the old style did mine included.
workky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2005 at 7:06pm
i have an 84 ski nautique that has cracked heads in the same place as you describe.But im still running them,they squirt out a little water
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2005 at 11:25pm
LMAO. Sorry. I am just surprised people are running engines that squirt water out of the heads.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2005 at 11:57pm
LOL... I guess if you have a good bilge pump...
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
HOLESHOT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLESHOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2005 at 4:30pm
LMAO
IF IT HAS A SPARKPLUG I CAN FIX IT
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2005 at 3:44pm
only RWC engines do it , so must be wild temp swings , my fish nautique is RWC and shows no sign of cracking , same PCM , same year , ski boat leaks bad
gary93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2005 at 1:54pm
I have a 93 SN had the same problem. Gave me a reason to go with the HO heads. PCM told me yes they are famous for it. If it is a famous problem why didn't they fix it. Sorry.....
Dave B View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2005 at 2:45pm
That's what I was wondering as well! If PCM is "famous" for cracked heads, what is/was causing the heads to crack and what did they do to address the problem? I would think they would have made some form of reparation to owners who experienced the problem.

I know of one owner who took their boat back to Correct Craft to have the heads replaced and PCM did cover the cost of parts, but not the labor. This was on a boat that was approx 5-6 years old at the time. However, when I contacted Correct Craft they said, "we've not heard of PCM engines having cracked heads."

I was just curious if any other owners had received any discounts or replacement coverage from either CC or PCM for this problem??

Thanks for any info,
Dave
HOLESHOT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLESHOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2005 at 2:55pm
hey my heads did the same thing

after my brother overheated the engine until it
blewup

IF IT HAS A SPARKPLUG I CAN FIX IT
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2005 at 5:23pm
I had suspected that was the primary mechanism...
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
DaveB View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2005 at 9:56pm
If the engine had ever overheated I would understand that cracked heads could result. But since I'm the orginal owner and know for a fact that it has NEVER overheated something else must be the cause.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic