Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 Ski Nautique Blowers are LOUD!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
IntelSoftApps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 Ski Nautique Blowers are LOUD!
    Posted: June-02-2011 at 12:39am
Hello,

So i have a 1998 Ski Nautique and when i run the blowers it is pretty loud! Also like the first 10 seconds they run they sound like they are really high pitch then lower then raise again then stay at a constant load sound...

Does anyone know or have any suggestions why the blowers are so loud???

They are hooked up because if you go to the back of the boat, you can feel the air blowing out, which is good.

Is it alright? my friends 99 ski nautique's blowers are lot quieter too.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 2:07am
nothing special about the blowers..the sound is a whining sound? its been always like that on your boat, or they became louder lately?
after 14 years they could need to be replaced
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 2:28am
Ya. but our 95 sport sounds fine...

Anyone know if they are suppose to be somewhat loud or quite like my friends 99 ski is???

I mean, as long as it is getting the air flowing and spitting it out in the back like it should, it should be fine, right?

The boat only has 143 hours with the original engine. So it was not used much at all!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 2:42am
yes but this blower electric engines have many plastic parts..which can become britle at certain age....
and start making sound...
I replced my blower 2 years ago while i was there (stringer rebuilt), old one whined a couple of minutes upon start...but air flow at the rear was fine....
My point is that if the shound really freaks you out...replace them..if not...you are fine...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2011 at 4:00am
I think they are fine.haha

They only do it for the first few seconds then even out. So now i can stop worrying as much...i mean what will happen. They will go out if they do, and then i will replace them.

Also, were are they located???
ffhd1clt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffhd1clt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 7:23pm
It's Sunday afternoon, July 10, 2011, and I just took the blower off my '98 Ski Nautique. In fact, the thing that brought me to your post was I did a Google search for "Ski Nautique blower" to see how much they are. I can tell you this, your blower sounds just like mine did. I don't know what's inside the blower, but I doubt there's a bearing in there. I think what you're hearing is just the "fan" in the blower rubbing against the housing. It gets dry in there, and there's no way to lube them. Let me guess, the sound changes all the time as well? If yours does what mine did, it will just quit on you one day as mine did today. The reason most people don't have blower issues is they don't use the things! Anyway, I would just run it until it quits, and like you said, you can confirm it's working by putting your hand by the vents. By the way, it isn't as easy to take out as I thought it would be, but not the worst thing I've ever done either. It's just tight getting to the screws, etc. Good for you for using the blower, and I'm hoping my replacement is quieter.
Frankie @ LKN
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 7:30pm
Ran my friends blower on his '99 SN today. It's loud and proud but sounds normal and it's doing its job. As long as it's working, not sure what the sound has to do with overall performance. Ski on!

Ken
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by ffhd1clt ffhd1clt wrote:

I don't know what's inside the blower, but I doubt there's a bearing in there. I think what you're hearing is just the "fan" in the blower rubbing against the housing.

Frankie,
No bearing? so, tell me what do you feel the motor shaft and fan blade runs on? Yes, in such a small package, the RPM's are quite high to get the CFM's and the SP out of the small diameter. This causes them to be quite loud due to the high blade tip speeds. The tip FPM may be close to the speed of sound.

You actually use the bilge ventilator? My 54 sure didn't come with one and nether did my 64. The 77 does have one but all I do is lift the dog house, take a whiff and turn the key!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 7:57pm
what blower?
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
ffhd1clt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffhd1clt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 8:04pm
No bearing in the traditional sense, no bearing that can be lubricated anyway. The point is they turn copious RPM's, get quite dry, and make a whining sound, and the guy wanted to know if that is normal, and it is. If it's turning and blowing air, use it until it breaks, because there's no maintenance that can be done to the blower. Congratulations on lifting the hood to vent your boat; most of us would rather flip the switch. Back to the guy who asked the question...the blower is only $28.50 (Nautiqueparts.com), so you might want to go ahead and change it out instead of waiting til it quits like I did.
Frankie @ LKN
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 8:12pm
Dang!   What kinda HorsePower you get by adding a blower?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Dang!   What kinda HorsePower you get by adding a blower?

Al,
It's very interesting you brought this up. I'm going to have to look to see what an average blower takes amp wise, but, 1 hp needs 745 watts of power. The blower certainly will not draw that current but it does need something off the alternator. It sucks the HP especially if you factor in the electrical losses. So, no bilge blower and you may pick up the WOT speed!!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 8:40pm
Al,
I just took a look at several bilge blowers. It looks like the average is around 3 amps (3600 watts at a nominal 12 volt). Considering the electrical losses from the alternator, that's over 5 HP sucked away from the engine!!!

People, why does your engine in your car/truck slow down when you turn on the AC??   

Use the blower but also common sense with your nose!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 9:09pm
Thanks ffhd1clt! Be sure to let me know if its better when you replace them.

And it doesn't sound like anything is in there or anything is rubbing...

It sounds like the blowers are in SUPER mode. They sound like they are running SUPER fast.

My friends 99' ski nautique's blower is MUCH quieter. Like 10x quieter.

Also, were are the blowers located in the 98 ski nautique? And how many pf you actually use them???    
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 9:25pm
warning....threadjack here!

you guys always make me second guess my boating habits. I run the blower all the time. i turn it on when i back down the ramp and pretty much run it the whole time i have the engine running. i realize the recommendation is for like 2 minutes prior to a start and then only when idling (or something like that). but it makes me feel like i'm doing something when it's running....dammit Pete, now you got me thinking about HP losses, negative impact on fuel economy.

I gotta get off of this site
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 10:01pm
I'm actually a closet motor box sniffer.
At the ramp I'm installing the plug. You can't put the plug in without opening the motor box. So, I guess it turns into a dual purpose type thing.
I only pull the blower switch once in a while to make sure it still works.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 10:10pm
After seeing a boat blow up,catch fire and a young girl get removed looking like a hotdog off the grill I am a big fan of running the blower all the time. Mine occasionally has a God awful shreik, but calms down. I do pop the motorbox just prior to hitting the key to look for leaks,water and give it some fresh air. I find that a good stereo can drown out the blower.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 10:25pm
Blowers get loud when they get immersed in water. At some point in time somebody probably let the bilge fill up to the brim in that boat. Replace it and enjoy the silence.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2011 at 10:43pm
Steve,
Safety with boating is always on my mind but, I feel the use of the blower is overly rated. However, I'm mechanically inclined and feel checking under the dog house for fuel leaks and odors is way better than counting on the blower. The running of the blower at all times I feel is related to people who are less competent mechanically and the liability insurance company suggestions!! As mentioned, my 54 and 64 has none!!! None of the older boats had them!!! It was common sense back then.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 4:20am
No matter how many threads or post about blowers there are, there is always the people that say screw it or always leave it on. I personally turn it on and usually forget about it and leave it on. But this one is pretty hard to forget about.lol

Also, someone mentioned about water to high and got into the blowers...were are the blowers located and how high would the water have to go for that to happen????
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 9:39am
That generation of Nautique typically has them mounted in the engine bay, just below the level of the floor. So, water topping off the bilge would do it.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 1:16am
Thank you M3Fan! I will look at it when i go back to that side of the state on thursday!

If at one point in time the water did get up to the blowers would they be affected still even if it happened many years ago???
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 11:51am
When you say blower(s) I think you really mean blower. Unless changed otherwise don't all Nautiques of the newer eras only have ONE blower on the starboard side just under the motor?

I love a good blower, much better than a good handy any day.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

When you say blower(s) I think you really mean blower. Unless changed otherwise don't all Nautiques of the newer eras only have ONE blower on the starboard side just under the motor?

Ya thats what i mean. Same difference. Doesn't really matter who many there are. I am not trying to get all specific. I guess, now i am trying to ask why is IT so loud?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 5:28pm
Because it is, go buy a new one and throw it in!

Blower
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 10:59pm
DANG! Lol. What do you think i am doing. I dont have any other option... I Think
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2011 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by IntelSoftApps IntelSoftApps wrote:

DANG! I dont have any other option... I Think

Well, you do but it requires reading all the responses in this thread!!! D you have a problem with that??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 4:05am
I have read them all by the way. It is the same stuff i always here in threads like this! Dont use it and stuff like that or vice versa.

I am not, not going to use it because that is kinda of a risk.

But yet, i would prefer to replace it, because i usually have it on always...

Unless, i am missing something or am blind... thats what was really offered.

Anyways, thanks for the help to all who helped. I will replace it and enjoy a QUIET blower

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntelSoftApps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 4:13am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by IntelSoftApps IntelSoftApps wrote:

DANG! I dont have any other option... I Think

Well, you do but it requires reading all the responses in this thread!!! D you have a problem with that??

All you are doing is talking about horsepower and watts and what not! Basically Stuff half of the people dont care about. How is talking abut the horsepower loss while running the blower while under power in a thread about something COMPLETELY different help me????
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2011 at 10:48am
The blowers were put in there because there was an explosion, one should always lift the cover before starting the engine just common sense,checking fluid levels etc.

These blowers are cheap the decibels levels are not going to be that low.
These boats have a vent system, when you are on the move fresh air goes through the front vents through the engine compartment and out the back so at this point you don't have to run the blower.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic